Post Match. Pies down to Cats. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Special mention to Darcy Cameron who battled heroically with very sore ribs.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Jezza wrote:One of the great goals of the season from Jamie.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1169304/el ... 0779464001
Jamie's goal was just brilliant! And the double hand kiss to the crowd. Has to be goal of the game if not the round.

Does Jamie have another year to go? When he's on he's on but it's been a difficult year. His set shots have been a struggle in particular. I hope he can go one more, stay injury free and stick it to the footy gods with some more great marks and clutch goals and of course he's going to win the 2024 MOTY for me
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Jezza wrote:Fly's presser

Following on from last week where Essendon dominated the uncontested mark game, Geelong did the same tonight which stunted your running game. How did you see that?
"That was interesting because they [Geelong] kicked the ball around but it didn't go anywhere. If anything at times, they kicked it back to us. There was no territory gain from it. This is the thing we weigh up, for three quarters it didn't hurt us. There was no scores from it, or relatively low scores from that phase but potentially it was a cost of energy. Whether we got that right or not is something we'll reflect on".
Not sure I saw it like that. There were a lot of times they switched and picked through our zone and going from D50 to F50 without us even touching it. I do recall they missed a few easy chances. There were some moments when we managed to close it down (Elliott’s goal) but for the most part we allowed them to move the ball too easily.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

1eyedpie wrote:While everyone is talking we need KPF’s I also believe we need a couple of line breaking long accurate kicking attacking half back flankers!
Hole in One !!!

We are dour, but not damaging enough. It could be coaching (not criticising), but I think we need more adventurous forays from more backline players.

Howe seems to get yards, and the ball into more attacking spots. We are predictable and more easily covered, other than when Noble or ND has the ball.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

lazzadesilva wrote:FWIW, I totally agree with your excellent post which nails the head perfectly.
Cheers mate, thankyou and I really hope so! It would be awesome to at least piss a couple of teams and their supporters off!
Thankyou xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Johnno75 wrote:
Jezza wrote:Fly's presser

Following on from last week where Essendon dominated the uncontested mark game, Geelong did the same tonight which stunted your running game. How did you see that?
"That was interesting because they [Geelong] kicked the ball around but it didn't go anywhere. If anything at times, they kicked it back to us. There was no territory gain from it. This is the thing we weigh up, for three quarters it didn't hurt us. There was no scores from it, or relatively low scores from that phase but potentially it was a cost of energy. Whether we got that right or not is something we'll reflect on".
Not sure I saw it like that. There were a lot of times they switched and picked through our zone and going from D50 to F50 without us even touching it. I do recall they missed a few easy chances. There were some moments when we managed to close it down (Elliott’s goal) but for the most part we allowed them to move the ball too easily.
Yes interesting from Fly. The one thing he missed but the commentators actually got right when Geelong was kicking the ball around at will, was that this would tire Collingwood players out. It sure did and our last quarters which were our absolute strength in 22 and 23, are now easily our worst quarter. We are just run off our feet.

Two games outside the eight now. We'd have to win all our remaining games and hope some teams in the eight slip up. That's not happening. If the Blues beat the Dogs they are gone and if the Giants win you can say with certainly the eight is settled.

We are not playing finals this year and don't warrant it on form. At the moment all the key stats show us clearly in the bottom four sides for the past 6 weeks.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Great post earlier THINK POSiTiVE !

For some reason, we’re about a metre behind most outside contests and our reaction time seems half a second slower than the opposition. That’s all effort and desire based because we didn’t have that problem last year ( nor did we have the injuries ) Personally, I feel as though the players have known for a while, they haven’t got back to back in them and they’re subconsciously going through the motions. Last year it was so easy to sell belief. Top of the ladder most weeks and we could win from any situation. It’s easy to believe a flag is going to happen and all they had to do was apply maximum effort every week in order to be a part of it. We can rant and rave all we like about that’s not good enough this year but other than the Tigers three in four years ( I find that inconceivable in the modern game ) the drop off we’re witnessing is pretty much the norm.
Also, never underestimate the difference between being the hunter and the hunted. It’s like going from the bully to being being bullied and not everyone handles that change of mindset as well as others. ( Josh strikes me as an example of not handling the extra scrutiny very well )
As an aside, it’s been great to watch Krueger finally get a run at some continuity. He’s no world beater but his attack on the footy is ferocious and at least he is another who has improved weekly off a very small sample size. He had a couple shots on goal last night but unlike previous weeks, just couldn’t nail them. I don’t know whether he’s part of the future or not but at least now, he’s getting the chance to prove what he has to offer.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

shawthing wrote:Just never up for it this season. Blew all our luck last year (except Nick's Brownlow). Thank God we won the flag last year because I can't see us winning again for a very long time. This team is done - not just for this season. It must be rebuilt now. No point busting a gut to win anymore this year. Get as good a draft pick as possible (or did we trade away next year's first round pick on that spud from Freo? - sorry, but that and the getting rid of Ginnivan goes right to the top of bad trades in our club's history).

So many things done wrong this year. Reality check in a BIG way. Our only interest now is making sure the Blues or Dons don't pinch a flag. But I think Brisbane will probably win now anyway.
FFS. Schultz has played 15 games for 19 goals and tackles like a man possessed.
Ginnivan 15 games for 17 goals and can't even spell tackle.

I know who I'd rather have and we don't have to have a smartarse twit in the team.
Jatsad - That is all
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

As soon i think it was only 1 min into the game cats kicked the first goal we would lose last night.
Had a feeling was not going to our night.
We dont cash in anymore.
All the pressure in the world but the cats still kicked it forward.
I thought it was the Essendon game all over again.
Never ending frustation thats all.
More injuires as well.
Shultz concussion miss Hawks game
Nick daicos with that corky looking at 2-3 weeks out.
Just cant take a trick with anything.
For me 2025 is now.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Well for all the nays the FWD line revolving door will continue for a few more weeks yet with Schultz out with concussion again. I hope this is not something more serious but a few sets close together will have the medico's and insurance reps concerned.
Also watch the first quarter again, Schultz helped save a few more Q1 Geelong goals across the HB line so we should be grateful we weren't further behind early in the first.

Reef or Sullivan back into the 22 for me with a defensive forward brief to just run, block and tackle and run and tackle and block and block and tackle some more.

Whatever else comes will be a bonus and hope McStay comes through the VFL unscathed but like most players who've done an ACL, we can expect some soft tissue and muscle issues before his body settles down to full contact action again.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

dalyc wrote:
slangman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Without wanting to be negative, it is apparent that Schultz has not lived up to the expectations of our footy department who gave up our prized first round draft pick, plus some, to Freo to get him.

Go Pies.
I think that the crux of the problem is that Hine has been imho a very overrated talent identifier over the last 7-8 years (national draft) which then creates these types of scenarios where we are forced to overpay to get the players that we want into the club.
If you take out the father-son’s and academy players you would see that since De Goey he has had an extremely poor record. The last KPF of any note that he drafted from the ND was Chris Dawes.
Not sure whether he is the guru that everyone makes out that he is especially after the departure of his 2IC (can’t remember his name but went to Bulldogs IIRC) who I recall a few posters a decade or so back comment that he was the actual brains behind the scenes.
I’ve put this challenge out before but nobody has taken it up. Please go through Hine’s drafts and show with the picks he had, the talent that was missed. I’ll give you Cripps as an easy start.

Next, do the same for whoever you think is the best recruiter in the league.

With hindsight, you’ll find some misses. But you’ll find them for both Hine and

the other. Question is would it have been reasonable at the time?
I don’t have the time nor desire to sift through every draft that Hine has been a part of.
Every club has hits and misses but my gripe is that he has absolutely failed to bring in a KPF that has played more than 10 games since Dawes.
My example isn’t Cripps, it’s more so players like Larkey and Mitch Lewis. Basically their clubs last pick in the draft.
Remember when we had picks 18,19 and 20 (all 1st round picks) and the only player to make it was Grundy. That’s the killer.
- Side By Side -
think positive

Post by think positive »

Pies2016 wrote:Great post earlier THINK POSiTiVE !

For some reason, we’re about a metre behind most outside contests and our reaction time seems half a second slower than the opposition. That’s all effort and desire based because we didn’t have that problem last year ( nor did we have the injuries ) Personally, I feel as though the players have known for a while, they haven’t got back to back in them and they’re subconsciously going through the motions. Last year it was so easy to sell belief. Top of the ladder most weeks and we could win from any situation. It’s easy to believe a flag is going to happen and all they had to do was apply maximum effort every week in order to be a part of it. We can rant and rave all we like about that’s not good enough this year but other than the Tigers three in four years ( I find that inconceivable in the modern game ) the drop off we’re witnessing is pretty much the norm.
Also, never underestimate the difference between being the hunter and the hunted. It’s like going from the bully to being being bullied and not everyone handles that change of mindset as well as others. ( Josh strikes me as an example of not handling the extra scrutiny very well )
As an aside, it’s been great to watch Krueger finally get a run at some continuity. He’s no world beater but his attack on the footy is ferocious and at least he is another who has improved weekly off a very small sample size. He had a couple shots on goal last night but unlike previous weeks, just couldn’t nail them. I don’t know whether he’s part of the future or not but at least now, he’s getting the chance to prove what he has to offer.
cheers mate thankyou,

I also agree with your summations, fact is with the injury list, killing themselves unnecessarily hurts us next season. the game plan we have played 22-23 was an extremely energy sappy, physically challenging, and therefore, mentally challenging plan.

i still think people are a little hard on Josh, I think hes another example of missing our lynchpin Murphy, and also the fact that Howe has been chopping and changing. He has also missed Tommy, watching back last year, He, sidey and Mitchell were never far apart, as i said in the last post, we no longer have an extra player running with the ball carrier, as protection and a target, and that was in my mind at least, a big part of our success.

I hope both Sidey and pendles share their feelings about this, because i remember both of them saying they got a premiership so early on, they thought they would keep coming. we came so close in both 2011 and 2018, and that shitty call in the prelim in 2017. And they both got a wakeup call! But thats also what a healthy competition is. aside of course from interstate prop ups!! but hey, better them than carlscum!

Certainly, changes are needed. that always hurts! but hopefully, we are still a destination club, because i do believe we are not far off. no one has thrashed us. Even when quite frankly, we play as dodgey as last night, the fumbles and dinky passes!!!

I seem to be in the minority, but I truly appreciate that it took 2 seasons to win last year, and win with absolutely no help from umpires, fixture or anything else.

cheers xx
think positive

Post by think positive »

jatsad wrote:
shawthing wrote:Just never up for it this season. Blew all our luck last year (except Nick's Brownlow). Thank God we won the flag last year because I can't see us winning again for a very long time. This team is done - not just for this season. It must be rebuilt now. No point busting a gut to win anymore this year. Get as good a draft pick as possible (or did we trade away next year's first round pick on that spud from Freo? - sorry, but that and the getting rid of Ginnivan goes right to the top of bad trades in our club's history).

So many things done wrong this year. Reality check in a BIG way. Our only interest now is making sure the Blues or Dons don't pinch a flag. But I think Brisbane will probably win now anyway.

I know who I'd rather have and we don't have to have a smartarse twit in the team.
yeah i agree, much as I still hate the fact

I honestly believe there was more to it, something not made public, be it the rumours of video footage, or something else.
think positive

Post by think positive »

jatsad wrote:

yeah i agree, much as I still hate the fact

I honestly believe there was more to it, something not made public, be it the rumours of video footage, or something else.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

There’s a old saying doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity
And that’s exactly what we are doing
Forget personal it’s system based
Let me break it down
Once you win and win a premiership opposition go work on your strengths and weaknesses
Since the opening round we’ve been exposed the same way time and again by teams who have been committed to the style that beats us
We play zone defence in the back half and if you have patience and wait for the opening to appear by having your team mates constantly on the move our players then start looking around wondering who they should be moving closer too.
This leads to consistent pattern leaves our defence vulnerable to multiple entries one after the other

Again last night we gave up 139 uncontested marks
21 more inside 50’s
Our kicking eff was under 56% for the team for the match
They had 13 tackles inside our defensive 50 we had 6
We won the hit outs basically 3 to 1 but lost the clearance battle (proves again what a useless stat hit outs are)
The cats last night had 40 more possessions than there season average but had 62 more kicks than there season average

Team are playing keep away with the ball from us
Our strength was keeping the ball in dispute forcing it forward inches at a time if needed
The issue won’t change until we change our style
We need to play man on man accountable football
Our players right now don’t show the necessary commitment to play full ground defence

What I’ve learned the past several weeks is we can’t play Noble Markov and Sidey in the back half in the same team. All are way to humbling and sketchy with there kicking. Markov needs to go immediately his decision making has gone backwards massively
Losing Murphy hurt more than we realised early on because he did so much clean up work from others mistakes.

The only positives from last night was Cameron who should be in top 3 of Copeland at seasons end
I liked Richard’s game last night
Long early on played the run with role on Stewart and did well. He run out of pufff but he showed he has something to offer and he put on some good blocks around the contest for Nick. He also has a good body size.
Elliotts return was positive he didn’t show any signs of discomfort

Our finals chances now hang by a very thin thread a loss next week likely ends them so we need to see something different going forward