Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by Johnno75 »

It’s funny that Port want Richards and not Matt Owies. Anyhow we are in the box seat now so Houston is ours to lose.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Need for him to Nominate us so take Carlton and North out of the Discussion
I am Da Man
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Johnno75 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:09 pm It’s funny that Port want Richards and not Matt Owies. Anyhow we are in the box seat now so Houston is ours to lose.
Good point.
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Presti35 »

I'm getting edgy on this. It's very exciting hearing all the confident talk, but until it's done, I'll hold my celebrating. What day are we thinking this may all happen??
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
SLORT
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by SLORT »

I think Carlton are going to give tbh. They've tried to do the Dodoro dance but in the end, given how close they think they are, and how much Voss needs this, I reckon they'll give their pick number 12 plus Owies to get it done. If this happens then we are zero chance, so we need to re-think what we can get for Richards.
Jezza
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Jezza »

Hmm...
"Dan Houston absolutely wants to play for the Blues. The problem at the moment is that Carlton aren't presenting the best option or offer for the player.

"Collingwood have the inside running in regards to the John Noble deal."

- Sam Edmund with the latest on Houston
https://x.com/WhateleySEN/status/1843435730779152604
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

SLORT wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:20 am I think Carlton are going to give tbh. They've tried to do the Dodoro dance but in the end, given how close they think they are, and how much Voss needs this, I reckon they'll give their pick number 12 plus Owies to get it done. If this happens then we are zero chance, so we need to re-think what we can get for Richards.
Yes, pick 12 is better than 13.
Owies is for the taking, and I read there has been no interest from any club (strange).

Port want Lukosius and Richards, GC wants Noble. 12 or 13 ? may not not matter at all.

If it all goes through, once the other machinations of the trade come into it, I reckon we will never really know what we got for Noble or Richards.

..In the previous post... Whateley ? lol
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

^^ We dont even have pick #13 yet...

I don't know how Carlton can afford him given the younger players they have on multi-year, $1m per-season deals.

I have an alternate theory, maybe they are using the excuse of not giving up their pick #12, but really they can't fit him in the cap. They are happy for the speculation to continue though, because if we end up having to use more picks or add another $100k, then we become less able to compete with them on a future deal. They could potentially be bidding in bad faith, knowing they will never transact, but drive the price up for us.

Regardless - I would like us to still get our mitts on #13. If we dont end up with Houston, but have that card in our hands, then we have effectively "solved" this year's first round draft handicap - by kicking the can down the road to next year, where FS makes a F1 pick potentially less valuable.

It should also be noted that Sam Edmund is a rank Blues supporter. If Houston actually preferred Collingwood, it wouldnt be Edmund breaking that story... It potentially serves Carlton for "breaking news - Houston prefers Carlton" to be the headline doesnt it??
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Funny Jay Clark has the complete opposite view, that he will end up at Collingwood. Reporters and their allegiances.

AFAIK Houston hasn’t nominated a club and I still think the Power are not keen on Owies or are they already committed to Richards as they have been chasing him for ages before Carlton stuff it up with Owies and his contract.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Hearing he has all but nominated Carlton. **** it.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

piffdog wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:35 pm ^^ We dont even have pick #13 yet...
Noble is worth pick 13 because we keep saying he is.** It becomes more convincing the more times we say it lol

I reckon it's the port/Pies/GC totality that puts 13 on the table.
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Haff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:54 pm Hearing he has all but nominated Carlton. **** it.
The pressure is on the Blues to use #12.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

We can only hope that Dodoro does is usual stonewalling, and Clubs shy away from it. It'd be unusual for him to pay overs. Might depend on if he wants to make a big statement at his new Club during this trade period. Everyone feels the pressure at some point.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Presti35 »

^Dodoro is gone isn't he?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:03 pm ^Dodoro is gone isn't he?
It's complicated. Granted leave in August "to deal with personal matters"...

"Two club sources, who would not comment publicly as the situation remained sensitive in a legal and an emotional sense, confirmed that Dodoro was not expected to return to the club, having come close to accepting that his time was up."

(The Age, Aug. 16)