Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Obviously one can't expect much better from Labor, but odd they couldn't at least find a liberal Zionist (or, even better, someone who is actually able to denounce anti-Semitism and treat it seriously without seeing defending Israel as a necessary part of their mission).

https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/07/10/ji ... palestine/
“Envoys” are stunt roles, made for announcement and little else. But it’s unusual to see someone with Segal’s history handed such a gig. As immediate past president of the ardently pro-Israel Executive Council of Australian Jewry, Segal last November savaged Labor for daring to criticise Israel for bombing hospitals, calling such criticism a “libel” in a joint statement with the right-wing Zionist Federation of Australia president Jeremy Leibler.

[...]

The Executive Council also criticised Australia’s support for a United Nations resolution calling for a ceasefire. Segal’s opposition to the call for a ceasefire and her insistence there can be no legitimate criticism of Israel’s hospital bombing campaign surely makes her position as the holder of any government appointment untenable. Imagine the outcry if Anthony Albanese’s mooted “Islamophobia envoy” had endorsed Hamas’ atrocities or defended the killing of Israeli civilians.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Post by Culprit »

The rent-a-crowd is out in Melb this week. Have to battle them tomorrow when I go into the convention centre for a few hours with my work. Let's block roads and disrupt in an attempt to get support.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Ironic isn't it, Anti-War protestors engaging in violent behaviour rather than peaceful protest.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

I as thinking the same thing.

As Culprit said, probably a lot of the idiots who are just looking to cause trouble.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Those idiots are lucky they're in a democracy, many of them deserve to be removed from the gene pool.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

It's amazing how much Harris has to pander to Israeli propaganda in order to take a "balanced" position in the US political context:

She also failed to answer the basic question of how she would achieve a ceasefire as president when her and Biden's administration have failed to broker one over the course of nearly twelve months.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:45 pm Those idiots are lucky they're in a democracy, many of them deserve to be removed from the gene pool.
they should take em all to the train station! @yellowstone!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

It was easy to get in without running into the idiots as they can't block every entrance. Fewer numbers today must be attending Centrelink. There are a lot of different groups just protesting about something. The only disruption caused is to the public. No support was gained there, just more hatred. I have been told to WFH tomorrow, dammit I will have to cope.

Wearing Masks and intent on violence and met with Violence and crying they have been assaulted. It's a joy to watch.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

A lot less of them today by reports, 1200-1500 yesterday with a couple of hundred of hard core Fwits, today just 200-300 and a lot less trouble.

I'd love to be able to see into the mind of some of these people to try to understand exactly what they're thinking and what they're trying to achieve. No one is going to come around to their view because of the protests, all they're doing is pissing people off. The 2% of fwits are just that, hard core imbeciles who want an opportunity to attack the Police and cause damage.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

^^Now we have legal services demanding an inquiry into the Police response. We've got people in masks with goggles on, carrying weapons, throwing acid, throwing marbles to negate the horses. All these are so-called peaceful protesters. One of the protesters arrested was part of the group that blocked the West Gate Bridge. I've protested and I agree that you should be able to protest but if you want to throw punches, you are going to get hurt. Vic Pol films everything these days and once this calms down they will then arrest people on other matters like setting the bins on fire. A co-worker was accosted by a group of young guys yesterday when he was leaving. He warned them to back off, after he put one on their bum the others backed off. My co-worker is an ex SAS.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

/\

good on him!!

i was just talking to my sister, thankfully shes not on the front line of this this time, but she said they are already going through tapes to identify these scumbags, and anyone in a mask or similar will get searched with the special powers.

just the thought of someone throwing acid at my horse back in the day, or marbles under his hooves, I would tie the bastards to a car and drag em down the road.

how can anyone stand for that?

throwing acid at people, last time it was metal taps! these people are not worthy of breathing air
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

The Protesters love Democracy as they have a right to protest but they infringe on other people's rights who simply want to go about their business.They protest while getting Centrelink Benefits paid for by the Tax Payer, 66000 defence paying taxpayers help them out and lets take 66000 out the workforce, what do these idiots think will happen? Thankfully they are a minority and we didn't have idiots like this back in the late 30's. Discussed with someone who's against Defence Spending, I said great but I am for it and a majority are as well. That's Democracy.