#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:Big season coming up for the young man.
Will be a gun. We all know that except you who thinks he should be delisted.
I do love the way some posters worry about his form in his 2nd season yet Heeney and possibly Moore aside, who else from the 2014 draft top 20 performed better.
Actually think he's tracking very nicely. You can't colour over a disappointing second season which I think was due to his over trying and over confidence, given where he was tracking in the preseason last year and the expectations we had for him. Again performed very well in the preseason this year, then had the incident in St Kilda which put him back, then when he got back in, had a very good game against GWS, then had a disappointing game against Hawthorn. Who knows what will happen against Brisbane, but the potential is there and like Maynard, you just have to persevere with these types of players, because at some point you strike gold. De Goey is the least of our problems at the moment.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

He looks out of sorts. He isn't holding marks, he isn't getting kicks, and he's not a shadow of the player he was in late 2016.

I present three possibilities:

(1) He is pissed off with life, with football, and especially with the club and is looking to be traded.

(2) He just hasn't managed to get his form back after injury - don't forget, he's only a youngster and youngsters don't step straight back into senior football carrying on where they left off the way 150-game players do. Just cut him a little slack and await results.

(3) He struggles to play deep forward and needs to be promoted back into the guts, which is what he's good at. In particular, he (like Fasolo) is trying to play like a KPP - flying for marks and dropping them - instead of getting front and centre like a proper small. Once Cox comes back to his proper place in the goal square and starts bringing the ball to ground, JDG will start scouting the packs and snapping truly. (Farcealolo, meanwhile, will keep trying to outmark blokes three feet taller than he is and wondering why the coach is not impressed with him.)

Which of the three do I think most likely? I'll sit on the fence and say a equal parts all three. If he can pick up 30-odd possessions and a couple of goals, he'll forget all about being pissed off and uninterested and start performing to his ability, which is enormous.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

(1) He is pissed off with life, with football, and especially with the club and is looking to be traded.
Surely, after saying he'd never let Bucks down when recruited and now saying he owes the club big time after screwing up he couldn't be contemplating walking? Could he?

That would be a pretty low act.

He played some good football last year and I'd be happy to see him remain at Collingwood for many years to come.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

I just hope he is a bit out of sorts due to the lack of game time at AFL level and he will come good. I have always thought that he would become a true A Grader in time. This became questionable when it was obvious that he was too much of a party goer to reach the professionalism required.

I am now hoping his is doing a "Swanny" and is turning his life around after putting his football career in jeopardy.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Yep, I'm with Tannin on this one.

He looks a fair way from his previous best right now. That's OK in the short term but he needs to make a statement of intent ( or not ) on the field sometime before the end of this season or the club would have every right to question his commitment.

I'm not for trading him at all but potential can only take you so far.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Tannin wrote:He looks out of sorts. He isn't holding marks, he isn't getting kicks, and he's not a shadow of the player he was in late 2016.

I present three possibilities:

(2) He just hasn't managed to get his form back after injury - don't forget, he's only a youngster and youngsters don't step straight back into senior football carrying on where they left off the way 150-game players do. Just cut him a little slack and await results.

(3) He struggles to play deep forward and needs to be promoted back into the guts, which is what he's good at. In particular, he (like Fasolo) is trying to play like a KPP - flying for marks and dropping them - instead of getting front and centre like a proper small. Once Cox comes back to his proper place in the goal square and starts bringing the ball to ground, JDG will start scouting the packs and snapping truly. (Farcealolo, meanwhile, will keep trying to outmark blokes three feet taller than he is and wondering why the coach is not impressed with him.)

Which of the three do I think most likely? I'll sit on the fence and say a equal parts all three. If he can pick up 30-odd possessions and a couple of goals, he'll forget all about being pissed off and uninterested and start performing to his ability, which is enormous.
or
(4) He's got a big head and thinks he is better than he is, and expects it all to fall in to place without busting his gut at training and limiting his co-curricular activities.

Imo opinion, he has the potential to be an absolute star of the game, but I'm not sure he has the right attitude to make the best of his undoubted talent. I'd be very disappointed if he didn't become a long term star of our side.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

It's a big worry, as this is a #5 draft pick we are talking about, here, who has delivered less than most mid-20s. He looks like a bull midfielder to me, and his psychology, from a distance, is that he wants to be the centre of attention.
So put the boy in the middle for two weeks, I think, and tell him if he does not fire he goes back to deep forward or the twos. He seems to have a brain shortage, but hopefully he can turn it around.
Two more flags before I die!
mooretreloar

Post by mooretreloar »

^^
Spot on. To be at his best, he needs to play 80% in the midfield. The Essendon JLT game proved this. However, it is a hard midfield to get a gig in, so he needs to have another string to his bow, which is a playing as a half forward.

There will be a game soon that we let him loose in the midfield, but in the meantime he will keep learning to play as a forward.

In the future, he will become a first choice mid, as players like Pendles and Sidey are given alternative roles.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

mooretreloar wrote:^^
Spot on. To be at his best, he needs to play 80% in the midfield. The Essendon JLT game proved this. However, it is a hard midfield to get a gig in, so he needs to have another string to his bow, which is a playing as a half forward.

There will be a game soon that we let him loose in the midfield, but in the meantime he will keep learning to play as a forward.

In the future, he will become a first choice mid, as players like Pendles and Sidey are given alternative roles.
Lol, a JLT game proving something? PMSL.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

I think he's just coping a reality check that he can't (yet) crash through tackles at AFL level.

I liked a lot of what he did and the intent of what he tried to do. Kid while be a weapon.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
mooretreloar

Post by mooretreloar »

Bob Sugar wrote:

It proved what his best position is, which is as a bull midfielder. No more, no less. It was proven before this match, but this game was confirmation.

However, seeing your posts in this thread it wouldn't matter what anyone says about De Goey, you have made up your mind. Be prepared to be proven very wrong. I am sure Bob has been very wrong before, unlike your boast earlier in this thread, so De Goey will just be another to add to what I would suggest is a very very very long list.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

many players after a layoff have a good first game and a quiet second
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Member 7167 wrote:I just hope he is a bit out of sorts due to the lack of game time at AFL level and he will come good. I have always thought that he would become a true A Grader in time. This became questionable when it was obvious that he was too much of a party goer to reach the professionalism required.

I am now hoping his is doing a "Swanny" and is turning his life around after putting his football career in jeopardy.
Get him hooked up with a good bird. That'll fix him.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

mooretreloar wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

It proved what his best position is, which is as a bull midfielder. No more, no less. It was proven before this match, but this game was confirmation.

However, seeing your posts in this thread it wouldn't matter what anyone says about De Goey, you have made up your mind. Be prepared to be proven very wrong. I am sure Bob has been very wrong before, unlike your boast earlier in this thread, so De Goey will just be another to add to what I would suggest is a very very very long list.
Sadly, I'm never wrong.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Pretty good handball from the base of the pack to Pendles for the sealer.