#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Jezza wrote: Will always have the honour of being a Collingwood premiership player.
A rare feat indeed.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

His preparation and consistency is such that he will reach the milestone a season before any other player from the 2008 draft.

He has already played:

75 more games than the number 1 pick;
59 more than pick 2;
31 more than pick 3;
60 more than pick 4;
56 more than pick 5;
130 more than pick 6;
20 more than pick 7;
124 more than pick 8;
24 more than pick 9; and
70 more than pick 10.

He is, of course, also streets ahead of the next best-performed Collingwood player from that draft - Jordan Roughead - who has played 186 games so far in his career.

As to the quality of his output, apart from his brilliance on the big stage that helped Collingwood to the 2010 flag and carried them to the 2018 Grand Final (he was the AFLCA's player of the finals that season and racked up 41 disposals against the best team of 2018 in the Preliminary Final in Collingwood's victory against all odds), he has received 95 Brownlow Medal votes over his career. That is the 5th-highest Collingwood total of all-time, behind only Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan, Len Thompson and Jack Regan. His 97 votes put him just ahead of Peter Daicos.
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

The highlights package shows lots of goals.
With the absence of Stevo and Elliott a senior player with goal kicking experience is what we need. Put him in the forward line please.
go pies
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

daics aka the ruckman wrote:The highlights package shows lots of goals.
With the absence of Stevo and Elliott a senior player with goal kicking experience is what we need. Put him in the forward line please.
thats where he should be, hes has earned that right, hes getting old, the young kids should be doing the grunt work and he should be half forward.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ Yep.

It's been a great career Sidey and thanks for giving it to the Pies.
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Club Champion!

One of the better players we've had.

Just the one All-Australian selection, but a coupe of suspensions may have cost him another one.

2 Copelands and an Anzac Medal and of course the most important one.... a Collingwood Premiership Player.

I liked the idea of playing him in the forward line while he makes his way to 300.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
magirl

Post by magirl »

Thanks Sidey for your wonderful service. Thanks for the 2010 premiership you played a huge part in that. Your humble attititude, your never ending smile that make me think that you love your footy so much. I am so glad you played for our team. Congrats on your achievement.
Side by Side
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

In his 250th game, Sidebottom had:

- a game-high 12 contested possessions;
- an equal game-high 5 centre clearances; and
- a game-high 8 total clearances;

playing as an inside mid.

It's not his game-style and he shouldn't have to do it - but again, as he has all his career, he's sacrificed his natural talent and flair to do the hard, team things.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

on the very off chance sidey reads this 'site' grats - hopefully we can get you in that fwd line soon and you can kick a lazy 2-4 goals a game, every game..
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Champion player and glad we won it in his milestone.

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
i hate carlton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by i hate carlton »

[quote="MickMCG34"]Great player IMO unjustifiably maligned on this site.
Please park him the forward line for his next 50.
Would be an absolute hoot I reckon

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

We never looked like losing that one for him.

I hope they have a crackin' night celebrating.

Congrats Sidey. Legend !
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

And he will lead Collingwood into battle as acting captain in his 261st game, as he passes Nathan Buckley's game tally for Collingwood.

Our little gun now trails just Pendlebury, Shaw, Coventry, Richardson, Thompson, Burns and McHale and sits 8th all-time for games in the pantheon of Collingwood greats.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

P4S you don't have to defend Sidey... he's played far more games than anyone on this board.

PS: The funny thing is people bagging Sidey don't know how good he actually is considering he's a small forward that's played the entirety of his career in the midfield lmao.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:P4S you don't have to defend Sidey... he's played far more games than anyone on this board.

PS: The funny thing is people bagging Sidey don't know how good he actually is considering he's a small forward that's played the entirety of his career in the midfield lmao.
Totally agree Daffy. And he’s got a bit of Buckley syndrome in recent years, playing all over the ground, plugging holes. He’s slowing down now, but his ability to cover ground has prevented him from playing forward more.