Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:There's nothing funny about it to the observer, but that guy lives in some kind of alternate reality. F knows what he was thinking.
just like every movie star getting caught up in me too. but most of them have been smart enough to change their ways.

i can tell you now i would not let a kid of mine near him after that! sick
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

What makes me go "WTF?": Albo attending Kyle Sandilands' wedding as a guest of honour.

I kind of get the tactic here (Kyle is popular with the kind of people who are least engaged with politics and thus easiest pickings for Labor, and Albo wants to distance himself from the educated lib-left snobs who look down on him), but it's still deeply weird. It's kind of reminiscent of Kevin Rudd's super-awkward guest spots on Rove Live, and maybe even his dutiful annual Australian Christian Lobby appearances.

I really wonder how much political capital these stunts generate or whether it just serves to make these dorky prime ministers look like even bigger weirdos.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

So Albo is going for the Dimwit Bogan vote?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

That's one way of putting it I guess :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I saw some scenes of the wedding on 7 news.

Over $1M on a wedding? :shock: FMD.

Albo holding the newlyweds baby? :shock:

The fact that a person like Sandilands can go from being homeless and living in his car to a $60M mansion and massive celebrity represents all that is good, and bad, about this country.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Truth

I can’t fricken stand him!
David

Post by David »

Anyone here planning to recite the oath of allegiance while watching the coronation on TV?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronation-w ... s-12869814
During the service, the Most Reverend Justin Welby, will ask "all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all".

The order of service will read: "All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together:

"All: I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."

There will then be a fanfare, after which Mr Welby will say: "God Save The King", with all asked to respond: "God Save King Charles. Long Live King Charles. May The King live forever."
The last bit might be a little optimistic, but with modern medicine, who knows...
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, Nah. I won't be watching the coronation, zero interest.
think positive

Post by think positive »

hmmm? nup!
thursday arvo im heading to Mermaid beach with my BF to her apartment for 3 glorious nights, no hubbies, great weather, can't wait! i think we are booked intoa spa Saturday arvo! soooo, nup!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Saw the widest trucks I've ever seen today. Cam over the bridge at Toc heading north up the Newell hwy, Road is 1 lane each way and these bloody things are driving down the middle taking up both lanes. :shock:

Each truck had a lead car warning upcoming cars and a very bored looking Hwy Patrol car as accompaniment. Cars coming toward it had to pull over and stop on the side of the road until they got past at a very lesiurely 40kmh or less. Have NFI how they got through Toc Bends, there's no where to pull over. They must have queued up oncoming traffic back a few km to wait.

Good luck if you got stuck behind them, you ain't getting past
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

See that multiple times, every day of the week on the Gt Northern Hwy.
Used to be a real bugger back in the 90's when about 600km was only a single lane of bitumen.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive

Post by think positive »

So we have to get the pool safety check by June 1st. We cleaned everything up, moved shot, tightened the gate springs, and booked the first inspection.

The gates all passed, he even asked about one Hubby rigged up and said it was brilliant, (I thought he would red flag it because it’s different!).

Of course we were not getting away with just the first $300 visit. No. We now have to spend to:
Block a gap from the fence to the pergola, it’s 110 instead of 100 and leads to the garage, it’s behind the pergola kitchen, like I’m not sure who’s squeezing down there! (The criteria is safe for a 5 year old as an example). 11cm gap! That one’s easy.

The neighbours trees have grown, so we have to fit a fence extension to make it 2.4 metres! Luckily the back fence already is, so it’s 11 metres to do.

We have an empty block beside us, it’s fenced off with full sized temporary fencing, and we have colourbond up, but the blocks back fence is wood and the slats are this side, so we have to fit cladding to the neighbouring blocks fence for 1200! Bad luck if he’s not happy!

But the most ludicrous is a tap! We have a PowerPoint near the glass fence but it’s higher, so you can’t climb on it, nor can the 5 year old, but there is a tap that is almost a metre from the fence and about 400 high. The pool fence is 1200. I got to meet the 5 year old that can do that spread! My hubby said he was so tempted to pull out the chair from the out door setting and move it the 700 it is from the fence to the fence!

The council passed all this when we put the pool in.we haven’t changed anything, except made the gap less accessible by putting in the outdoor kitchen? If the neighbours make their fences climbable with trees that’s our fault? That’s trespassing for a start!

So yeah, 30 bucks for a tap cover that’s made form Perspex and not claimable, the peice of wood for the gap is easy, a couple of hundred to extend the fence and bad luck if the neighbour hates it, and we have some old colourbond for the empty block!

Then $200 for the retest!

Seriously a pool in Melbourne is a waste of time and money at the best of times!

Next house indoor swim spa!

And yes I get it I don’t want anyone or thing to drown in it, but common sense! No 5 year old is climbing the fence via the tap but a dozen could move the chair!

Supervision is the only thing that will really work!
Last edited by think positive on Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Spot on about supervision, pool fences only stop accidents. If you've got a 5 year old determined to get in that pool, they'll find a way in.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

Spot on about supervision, pool fences only stop accidents. If you've got a 5 year old determined to get in that pool, they'll find a way in.
yep!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Who’d a thought that collecting 2 eggs could be dangerous business. This is a sinkhole

Mrs WPT was returning from the end of the garden with two eggs & no phone when walking on grass back to the house she disappeared into a hole covered with grass at about 12:30 on Saturday.

It was wet and full of wet clay. Mrs WPT was underground and unable to get out. The more she tried the more dirt, mud and slush was around making it impossible to get out. It’s freezing cold and wet (fortunately not raining). She yelled for hel. Eventually our neighbour heard a noise when he was upstairs. He wasn’t sure what the noise was and initially didn’t do anything. 10 mins later he heard the noise again so went to his backyard to investigate and yelled out “who is it” quickly realising it was Mrs WPT.

A short time later Fire brigade trucks, Ambulance and Police were here the SE Water. Loads of people. Mrs WPT is safe and medically cleared having used up her 9 lives
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman