#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

RudeBoy wrote:To be honest I'm not fussed if he stays or goes. Overall he has not impressed me much at all.
Reading between the lines I think most of us kinda got that RB :D
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

RudeBoy wrote:To be honest I'm not fussed if he stays or goes. Overall he has not impressed me much at all.
Well that's come completely from left field!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

swoop42 wrote:http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/afl/news/2015/8/collingwood-confident-of-re-signing-young-defender-matthew-scharenberg/

Groundhog day.
Yawn. :roll:
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

I'm honestly not sure how much you were expecting from a kid who was sidelined for 18 months through injury? That he was even able to recover from a knee reconstruction and not only play VFL, but play a few senior games all within 12 months of his initial injury is a testament to his professionalism.

If he had been in rehab all year, and maybe just played a few VFL games, as many expected, would you be so critical of him? Or would you reserve judgement until he's had a full preseason under his belt and regained his list fitness before judging him?

Honestly, we have a kid here, who despite playing next to no footy for 18 months through injury, and despite his obvious lack of fitness, has still managed to not only break in to a senior AFL line up, but be able to read the play well enough to gain 17 disposals and 9 marks. Yeah, he looked like he was lacking intensity, but he also looked like he was blowing so hard every time I saw him that he was about to have a heart attack. The kid was putting in effort, but his unfit body simply wouldn't allow him to go at the intensity you'd normally expect.

I know he's a high pick, and as such, expectations are high, but those expectations need to be tempered until he is 100% fit. It will be a massive blow if we lose this kid before he's had the chance to show us what he's truly capable of. He will kill it next year with a full preseason under his belt, you can bank on it.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Stupied wrote:
I'm honestly not sure how much you were expecting from a kid who was sidelined for 18 months through injury? That he was even able to recover from a knee reconstruction and not only play VFL, but play a few senior games all within 12 months of his initial injury is a testament to his professionalism.

If he had been in rehab all year, and maybe just played a few VFL games, as many expected, would you be so critical of him? Or would you reserve judgement until he's had a full preseason under his belt and regained his list fitness before judging him?

Honestly, we have a kid here, who despite playing next to no footy for 18 months through injury, and despite his obvious lack of fitness, has still managed to not only break in to a senior AFL line up, but be able to read the play well enough to gain 17 disposals and 9 marks. Yeah, he looked like he was lacking intensity, but he also looked like he was blowing so hard every time I saw him that he was about to have a heart attack. The kid was putting in effort, but his unfit body simply wouldn't allow him to go at the intensity you'd normally expect.

I know he's a high pick, and as such, expectations are high, but those expectations need to be tempered until he is 100% fit. It will be a massive blow if we lose this kid before he's had the chance to show us what he's truly capable of. He will kill it next year with a full preseason under his belt, you can bank on it.
Great post 👌
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

perhaps the issue is about money. Perhaps he wants, as a number 6 draft pick, a certain amount - but, given what he has put on show, why would we pay him heaps more than Langdon, who is from the same draft year. Now that i say it, yep, why would you pay him more than Langdon, who is a similar sort of player.
roar

Post by roar »

^^ Because he will be a lot better than Langdon, probably by the end of next year.
kill for collingwood!
gurugeoff

Post by gurugeoff »

roar wrote:^^ Because he will be a lot better than Langdon, probably by the end of next year.
Cannot see it on exposed form.
roar

Post by roar »

I can, but you won't have to wait long to see it, too. If he remains fit (and remains with us) it will be crystal clear by finals next year.
kill for collingwood!
gurugeoff

Post by gurugeoff »

roar wrote:I can, but you won't have to wait long to see it, too. If he remains fit (and remains with us) it will be crystal clear by finals next year.
i hope you are right (assuming he is still playing with us)
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

roar wrote:I can, but you won't have to wait long to see it, too. If he remains fit (and remains with us) it will be crystal clear by finals next year.
Hine said the same on the weekend, that we won't see the best of Scharenberg for another 12 months.

I didn't expect him to play seniors this year, so he's exceeded my expectations. He did his knee in late August last year, so even playing a handful of VFL games should be considered a bonus.
Well done boys!
HAL

Post by HAL »

Yes he did, didn't he.
Fire Up

Post by Fire Up »

signed and sealed
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

roar wrote:^^ Because he will be a lot better than Langdon, probably by the end of next year.
Let's revisit this post in 12 months shall we? :wink: