Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Cheers for that.

I'd maintain that they would appear entirely unsuited to these kind of cases but if that's the only option........
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Further on the Higgins case, a reminder that the issue here is much bigger than just the Morrison Muppets (etc.):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-24/ ... e/13188336
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

^ Disgraced and discredited bully ex-MP says bad things about her former colleagues. Golly gosh!

(What she says may or may not be right. I have no evidence on that and no opinion. But as a credible source she ranks above Craig Kelly and below most other people.)
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Tannin wrote:^ Disgraced and discredited bully ex-MP says bad things about her former colleagues. Golly gosh!

(What she says may or may not be right. I have no evidence on that and no opinion. But as a credible source she ranks above Craig Kelly and below most other people.)
Louise Milligan an investigative reporter for 4 corners was noted on the 7:30 report the other day (alluded to by another person) saying it happens across the political divide but with the qualifier it is much more rampant amongst the Liberal / National Party. Go figure.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

More like a fiction writer if she says it's rampant amongst the ALP and more rampant amongst the coalition.

I suppose though she may just not know what rampant means.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

" Prime Minister has just quoted me in parliament to prove Labor also has issues re toxic behaviour. True, but of dozens & dozens of calls we made to staff & politicians from all sides, vast majority of allegations, volunteered, not sought, were about Liberal & Nationals. #auspol"

Tweet from Louise Milligan about 2 days ago
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
5 from the wing on debut

I wasn't disputing which party is doing it or doing it more than others.

I was saying that it isn't rampant. Even if the "allegations" are true.
5 from the wing on debut

Milligan says she made dozens and dozens of calls to people and those people, without being asked, volunteered information.

Milligan: Hello, I am Louise Milligan, investigative reporter. I do tweets and stuff.

Cold called person: Liberals and Nationals have issues re toxic behaviour.

Milligan: Thank you, good bye.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:Further on the Higgins case, a reminder that the issue here is much bigger than just the Morrison Muppets (etc.):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-24/ ... e/13188336
I actually wondered whether the two issues were even comparable and what the former MP was doing raising her experience, in this particular context.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

We have a state government in Victoria who likes to live by the ALP quota system, yet it's female ministers who they are first to throw under a bus when things go wrong.

Or when a female minister gets abused and threatened by Dan's union mates, Dan stands by his union mates and gets rid of the minister.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

What has that got to do with a liberal party staffer being allegedly raped by another liberal party staffer in federal parliament?Answer:absolutely nothing.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

What is the hissy fit with Dutton using the term "He said-She said" ?

I just saw someone being interviewed getting all wound up over it and saying that it's a term only used in sexual assault cases and is wrong in all sorts of ways, and I saw some other dingbat saying it assumes women can lie about being raped.

How many wrongs in so few words?

"He said-she said" is and has been used extensively as a simple descriptor of any situation where you have one persons word against the others with no witnesses or other evidence available. It is not exclusive to sexual assault cases.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Try saying "He said-he said" and the problem is evident. I don't really care, but it's plainly gendered.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The wording may be gendered but the common usage isn't.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

doriswilgus wrote:What has that got to do with a liberal party staffer being allegedly raped by another liberal party staffer in federal parliament?Answer:absolutely nothing.
A lot, because some talk up how the ALP quota system is why there is less of this than in the LNP.