#15 Nathan Kreuger

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

The Bionic man looked impressive in those slo-mo credits at the start of each episode.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

The signs are good, bloody good, for someone we've got next to nothing and is body ready.
- 6ft 4, fast, booming kick, agile, aggressive, can mark, can break through packs, seemingly footy smarts... I reckon he is a helluva good punt given it was just a case of bad luck with timing to be on Geelong's list.
Going to watch this space with much interest.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Podpicken wrote:The signs are good, bloody good, for someone we've got next to nothing and is body ready.
- 6ft 4, fast, booming kick, agile, aggressive, can mark, can break through packs, seemingly footy smarts... I reckon he is a helluva good punt given it was just a case of bad luck with timing to be on Geelong's list.
Going to watch this space with much interest.
Agile is the key word in that lot. You can see it more in his highlights than a training routine. The games changed, successful KPFs need to be mobile and agile with repeat leads and turning their opponent inside out. It’s not easy taking big pack marks these days because there’s so much congestion around the contest, so you need to beat your opponent in other ways.
I’m guessing durability will be the issue because it certainly looks like the tools are all ready to be unpacked.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Fatui Attata wrote:
Lazza wrote:Just me being a bit sceptical but I do wonder if clubs let a footballer leave without fighting to retain his services if he is an out and out gun. We shall wait and see but my expectations of him are not in the Wayne Carey zone.
Geelong offered him a great deal but he wants opportunities, which is a tricky thing to achieve when you have Cameron, Hawkins and Rohan ahead of you. What exactly are your expectations of him based on?
My expectations are based on the premise that smart clubs no longer make trading/delisting errors like the Hawks did with Ablett snr. I can understand him wanting to leave for greater opportunities and I expect him to be a very handy acquisition to the team like a Leroy Brown but realistically he is not going to be anything other than a good player filling a gap in the team. I still say that logically I don’t think Geelong (or any other club) will give Collingwood a star. Past bad experiences of clubs affect current dealings.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Podpicken wrote:
Presti35 wrote:Far out, I wish we could have snagged him.
Dunno Presti35. I really like him as a big bodied midfielder but if he's as good a quality as I thought he was, then why did they go as far to delist and rookie him? Something not right there. If he was that good, you wouldn't even entertain that option, would you?
Exactly my point regarding Geelong with Kruger.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

If he plays his role, that's all we need, we shouldn't expect him to be a "star"

Checkers is a role player, not a star, and he's done OK so far.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

stui magpie wrote:If he plays his role, that's all we need, we shouldn't expect him to be a "star"

Checkers is a role player, not a star, and he's done OK so far.
Spot on. Unrealistic expectations about player promise and performance can only lead to frustration and sadness at the lack of fulfilment. Another Checkers would be bloody awesome
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Did the German make a promo video of himself lol? I can only find it on that link.
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

Lazza wrote:
Podpicken wrote:
Presti35 wrote:Far out, I wish we could have snagged him.
Dunno Presti35. I really like him as a big bodied midfielder but if he's as good a quality as I thought he was, then why did they go as far to delist and rookie him? Something not right there. If he was that good, you wouldn't even entertain that option, would you?
Exactly my point regarding Geelong with Kruger.
Exactly NOT. Geelong never delisted and hoped to rookie Krueger. They offered him a 2 year contract. I take that as a pretty fair dinkum serious offer. We need his type more than the Cats do, with Hawkins, Cameron and Ratugolea in Kruger's way. I've already mentioned that previously. We offered him 3 years. We were interested in him 12 months earlier. What EXACTLY have you seen of Kruger? What are you basing your doubt on? Or is this all a figment of your imagination? Just to post something.
I'm not the pheasant plucker I'm the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll be plucking pheasants til the pheasant plucker comes! "Try saying that with a mouthful of peanuts!!" Lou Richards
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Correct weight. I would think that if we had Tom Hawkins on our list and fit and then added Jeremy Cameron, we might only have offered Kreuger a 2-year contract, too.

At present, we field a full-back at centre-half forward and a resting ruckman as our goal-square target - they both perform creditably (and I do not wish to be taken as criticizing them) but we have few, if any, reliable scoring options. The previous regime didn't value those fixed-position skill players, so the recruitment of Kreuger probably reflects that the new regime accepts that our forward line is a dysfunctional rabble of mostly fringe players forced to perform roles to which their natural talents are ill-suited.

Collingwood scored just 225 goals in 2021. Putting aside the ridiculous, COVID-shortened 2020 season, our 225.207 in 2021 was our lowest scoring return in the home and away rounds since 1940 - but, of course, it was actually way worse than 1940 because we played 4 more games to kick just 2 more goals. To put it in context - and bearing in mind that the figures I'm mentioning just relate to the home and away rounds (so there's no counting of additional games in years in which we played finals) - we kicked 381 goals in the 2011 home and away games, 363 in 1977, 363 in 1979, 354 in 1980, 349 in 1981, 342 in 1990, 335 in 2010, 329 in 2003, 326 in 1970, 303 in 2002, 300 in 2018. Even in 1976, we managed 286 goals - there were some very unusual circumstances that led to Collingwood under-performing that year and it was no great surprise to see a forward-line with Moore, Carman, Dunne, Kink - along with the addition of new recruit Graeme Anderson's 46 goals from half-forward - do better the following year.

Meanwhile, Collingwood's performance in the home and away rounds since 2011 was 381 goals (last season before the previous coach took over), 305, 310, 252, 287, 276, 278, 300, 274, 131*** and 225. We are a long-way off having a functional forward line, let alone a forward line studded with brilliant talents like 1976 - and it's going to be a long way back.

I hope that Kreuger will be better than Travis Cloke, Anthony Rocca and Phil Carman - but let's face it, that's not the present standard required to lock down a key position in the Collingwood forward line.

This is by no means a recent concern for me. I started a thread about our declining forward capacity 8 and a half years ago: viewtopic.php?t=70891
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Fatui Attata wrote: Or is this all a figment of your imagination? Just to post something.
Geez you are a dill sometimes FA. After all the years on Nick’s I don’t need to delve into my imagination or anything else other than my intention to post dude.
I have every right to reserve my judgment on Kruger until I’m convinced that (incredibly) Geelong had indeed let a future top player go because they were convinced that an ageing Hawkins and a few other inconsistent players would be better KPP’s than him
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Pies4shaw wrote: This is by no means a recent concern for me. I started a thread about our declining forward capacity 8 and a half years ago
Different times, different tactics and way different game plans and priorities.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Lazza wrote:^
The point being made to you, of course, was that Geelong "didn't let him go" - they couldn't keep him, despite their contract offer. They made him a two-year offer. He rejected it - and an offer from St Kilda - and asked to be traded to Collingwood.

Obviously, everyone reserves judgement until we see whether he can actually play - but let's not pretend that he was a cast off. He was a required player with a contract offer from Geelong but decided he wanted out and came to Collingwood.

This time last year, we were paying other clubs to take our overpaid, under-performing detritus off our hands. We're now offering this fellow a 3-year contract. There's a message in that.
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

Thanks for saving me the trouble P4S! Love your posts, always full with depth of factual info and insights.
I'm not the pheasant plucker I'm the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll be plucking pheasants til the pheasant plucker comes! "Try saying that with a mouthful of peanuts!!" Lou Richards
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ You're welcome, Fatui.