Labor - The Bad, The Ugly and the occasional Good.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Holding signs and working out in the open is dangerous hence the penalty rates.

"Father of four Timmy Rakei, 44, was working as a traffic controller in the Melbourne suburb of Carrum Downs on the morning of November 9, 2021, when he was struck by a car that had allegedly failed to heed reduced speed signs"

2023 - Peter Dyck was working outside his ute on the Eastern Freeway in Clifton Hill just after midnight when he was allegedly hit by a driver. The Australian Workers' Union's Jade Campbell told media today the father's death was "completely avoidable". The father from Boronia was taken to hospital but later died.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I'll give you Robbo, otherwise they're not bad. 8)
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The money is if you are a CFMEU member and can get the good gigs on CFMEU run construction sites, most traffic control gigs are shit money and shit work. The construction sites are also far easier work than most traffic gigs, you only have to actually be on the bat once every hour or so. I always enjoyed the gas gigs as they’d usually be a road closure, so close the road and sit around all day!

When I did it you could work anywhere in Melbourne, but your days started and ended at the on site, no pay for the travel to and from. So good days when working 5 minutes from home, shit days when starting at 7 am in Footscray.

But the hourly rate is the same as I’m on now, but my current job doesn’t have the same penalty rates all the time, but we can get them for incidents so yes overall traffic control probably paid better if you did a full week every week, but the conditions sucked. Or be willing to do night shifts and that paid really good money, but Skids knows that isn’t worth it!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Whilst I sit in my cushy office or work from home where my main concern is having coffee and high-speed internet available. I have no concern about what someone on a worksite is earning. I don't read that Viewpaper. However, I used to get day-old copies for my dog to pee on which I found it was perfect for. Now I don't have a dog there are no copies here.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

The best thing going for Albo is Potato Head. The Dunkley results so far are a predictable swing to the Liberals. What wasn't predicted was a slight swing to the ALP and a major swing against the Greens. It was like the far-left vote went to the far-right. The NOaltion has a lot more work to do.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ that's better news. Maybe people are waking up to the fact that The Greens are the cause of misery.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Wow - here comes Labor to silence free speech. AnAl wants to control every part of your life.

AnAl wants to get rid of misinformation in Elecotral Advertising....does promising Stage 3 tax cuts and then reneging qualify as misinformation.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

We don't have a "right" to free speech like the USA so I have no issue with Politicians and bureaucrats who tell blatant lies being held to account, but I would like to see details of any proposed legislation.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

It's not a lie if you believe it.
David

Post by David »

Yep. And how can it be proven that you don't? That's the challenge.

Still, if anything can be done about the Clive Palmers of the world, I'd welcome it ... as long as there are no significant unintended consequences. That's what needs to be scrutinised carefully here, imo.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Good Luck with that. When at a conservative 30% of voters are prepared to believe in conspiracy theories, it isn't gonna happen.
David

Post by David »

Per the thread title, you can file this under "ugly":

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-06/ ... /103929104
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

@ David

Some interesting crime stats that are showing that not incarcerating youth is not working in preventing them being indoctrinated into serious crime.

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/ ... 5e940bd14e

Repeat offenders aren't being rehabilitated in the community, so we may as well incarcerate them. That at least keeps the community safe.