Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Just wow.
Will add further opinion later
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Great pressers both coaches. Hats off to Kingsley; he's clearly a quality bloke like Fly.

I reckon Fly needed that. We all have our tests. It was interesting he mentioned GWS' second quarters. There's more than a hint that played too much on everyone's minds and we almost overdid the tempo. That said, he was right in that they didn't get away from us in the quarter as they've done with recent opponents.

And it might well be that that was the hard one, and they read it right, if cutting it very fine. Ironically, it next week might be when the shackles come off.

Looking forward to watching the momentum build towards the big dance. The players aren't the only ones who need a week to reover, that's for sure!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Prometheus
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Prometheus »

I watched the game at the local pub tonight.

In the last quarter; I got an alert on my smart watch telling me that my heart rate had gotten too high at over 140 bpm.

:shock:

I kid you not.
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 1eyedpie »

What a game!
I was so nervous in the last 6 min of the game but we did it were into another GF.
We will probably go in as underdogs but hey while you’re in it you’re a chance!

Got home from the game bought a pizza on the way home and just watched the full replay, couldn’t believe from the 6:18 min mark of the last not another score……..not even a point was scored incredible!

So wired atm can’t go to sleep.

Anyhoo let’s hope for injury carnage and game goes into extra time in the Gabba game but blues to lose…….don’t want them anywhere near a granny and a chance to add to their silverware!
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Out: McStay, Lipinski
In: Ginnivan, Noble

Sub: Adams or Lipinski.

Ginnivan and Noble are better credentialed than a Frampton or Kreuger so instead of replacing McStay with a not quite right tall we could look to go smaller and increase our ground level game.

If Adams gets through our main training session but some doubts naturally remain then using him as sub might be a good compromise.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

What was that Ken Hinkley? about wining in august??
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

if you look at the game, u can clearly see structurally the Collingwood Coaches where worried about GWS's run from behind.

We are known for our run from the back line into a score but they had 1 man behind the ball at all times and we had to have a slower more calculated approach.. .it was very different to watch
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Collingwood player ratings from SEN

Post by LaurieHolden »

Collingwood player ratings from SEN

Patrick Lipinski: C+ - Poor first half but lifted significantly in the second half.

Jordan De Goey: A+ - What a player, best on ground by a mile.

Isaac Quaynor: A+ - How solid is this kid, week in week out.

Brayden Maynard: C+ - One of his quieter games, but he did his job as a defender.

Jamie Elliott: C+ - Wasn’t sighted apart from the third, needs to add another string to his bow.

Tom Mitchell: B - Worked his way into the game, was really composed late in the game.

Josh Daicos: C - Started the game in fine style but eased out of the contests in the middle part of the game.

Scott Pendlebury: A - Typical Pendlebury performance, bloke's a star, what do you expect.

Daniel McStay: B+ - Was Collingwood’s best forward until he was subbed out, fingers crossed he gets up for next week because he’s crucial for the Pies.

Darcy Cameron: C - Cox was definitely the better ruckman out of the two, but Cameron was still okay.

Steele Sidebottom: B - Did some silly things which we aren’t used to, but his intelligence was a clear feature of his game tonight.

Bobby Hill: C - Kicked an important goal to stop the orange tsunami in the third quarter but like Elliott, he probably needs to get into the game more.

Jack Crisp: A+ - Was the fire starter for the Pies. He constantly took the game on as he’s done all year. When they were struggling, he inspired his teammates to play like they've played all year. Star.

Nathan Murphy: C+ - Kept Jake Riccardi goalless, can’t ask for much more as a key defender.

Darcy Moore: C+ - Was solid down back, nothing to rave about.

Beau McReery: C+ - One of his quieter performances for the year, expected more from the high pressure forward in a close Preliminary Final.

Will Hoskin-Elliott: D+ - 10 disposals as a winger doesn’t really cut it, does it?

Jack Ginnivan: B+ - I thought he was monumental when subbed into this game, finished with seven touches for the quarter.

Nick Daicos: C+ - Worked into the game but wasn’t at is normal silky best.

Oleg Markov: C+ - What a moment he had in that third quarter on the members wing, he didn’t do much attacking from defence, however.

Jeremy Howe: B+ - Typical Jeremy Howe performance, 17 touches and 10 marks, he’s one of the best intercept defenders the game has ever seen.

Brody Mihocek: C - Kicked a goal and offered a contest for the whole game, they need him to kick more goals next week.

Mason Cox: B - Started the game incredibly well and kicked a crucial goal in the last quarter.

Source : Hugh Fitzpatrick https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/22/ ... ary-final/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We played some ordinary footy for periods of that game and squandered our opportunity to be 5 goals up at quarter time. Nevertheless, even after the midgets got 3 goals up on us, I always felt we had another gear to go to to win the game. What a brilliant team we have.

Assuming McStay is an out, then I'd play Ginni and have Adams as the sub. If Adams is unavailable, then Noble comes in.

I'd prefer Noble to Lipinski, but I doubt Fly will drop him.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Nick Daicos efforts can’t be overstated, considering the quality of the opponent, the occasion and the immense pressure applied by the Giants from start to finish. To slot straight in after seven weeks away from the game ( which includes three weeks off his feet ) is just yet another reminder of how good he is. He didn’t have a right to be involved as often as he did under those circumstances but he is Nick The coaching staff managed his minutes beautifully too.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Haha, match thread always good for a read after a game like that.

Raised some pertinent issues though, Lipinski needs to go harder, and 60 mins without a goal....gonna be tough next week
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 1eyedpie »

doriswilgus wrote:
Haff wrote:Not sure we’re giving Cox and Cameron enough love here. They were both very good especially the former.

Will be huge next week. I have a feeling Coxy will rip the granny apart!
Cox in particular was excellent.Amd that goal he kicked in the last quarter turned out to be the match winner.

What was with the umpire sending Cox off the ground when he had his gernsey ripped??

I noticed it at the ground but wasn’t sure but confirmed after watching replay at home umpire Cleary says you must go off the ground to have gernsey replaced!

I didn’t think the umpires had the right to send the player off the ground in that situation as it affects rotation numbers not to mention momentum if the player is having an impact. Could become a tactic in a close gf to get a player off the ground.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Mentioned coaching in the game thread a few times. Wasn’t at the game but I think it was clear that we didn’t want to get hurt back the other way. We stifled them at the expense of our own run and attacking game.

I’m not the biggest fan but can’t argue with the result and it shows just how well drilled and adaptable this team is.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
aus50ford
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

Is it just me or the does the day just look a lot brighter ..

Also when can I start to breathe again
I don't have a snappy catch phrase
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »