Post Match. Pies down to Cats. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Re our draft record -

Once we accept it doesn’t matter how the players are selected or how tall our players should be, the only thing that matters is winning. Since 2002, we’ve played in ELEVEN preliminary finals. That’s about a strike rate of one prelim every second season. You could argue that maybe we would have snagged an extra flag or two had Hine done his job better but the retort is quite simply, then how bad are most other clubs going at list management when very few others in the competition have that kind of consistency over such an extended period. It’s easy to draft quality players when you are so bad for so long that you are almost forced into being competitive by way of having been rubbish for the previous 20 years. It’s a different story when the reward for sustained success ( as opposed to ultimate success )is to be penalised at the draft table. We’re going to see a seismic shift in ladder positions over the next couple seasons. My suggestion is to continue to enjoy supporting the reigning premiers while you can because being successful now is going to come at a cost in the near, medium term future. Yes, a couple clubs do it better but far and away, in terms of winning over an extended period, the majority come nowhere our record over last 20 years.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

geezus thats an amazing stat! wow, just WOW!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Apart from the first 3 minutes that was one of our better 4 quarter efforts, but forget what Fly says about magnets not winning games, it's a system or process approach. When you have so many first choice magnets missing it doesn't matter how good your system is. Half the team would be playing VFL if we had everyone fit and available.

And we can't seem to catch a break, as soon as we get one back, we lose another.

I won't give up on 2024 until the fat lady is in full voice and the players are on their Mad Monday, but it's going to be hard from here.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Have a look at the footage of when Dempsey gets hit up and kicks a goal at the punt road end. Crisp is in no man’s land and should have gone to Dempsey but decides to drift to the boundary to maybe cover the space for Cameron to lead into but no one talks and Dempsey is left 20m on his own 40m out.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

makes it crystal clear now...... its now time to book a holiday in september.. i aint watching these other mediocre teams play finals for a month
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

qldmagpie67 wrote: What I’ve learned the past several weeks is we can’t play Noble Markov and Sidey in the back half in the same team. All are way to humbling and sketchy with there kicking. Markov needs to go immediately his decision making has gone backwards massively
Losing Murphy hurt more than we realised early on because he did so much clean up work from others mistakes.
And this is exactly why the club needs to focus on defenders in the off season over any tall forward. The scoreboard doesn’t lie, particularly over an extended period. Our defence, other than Murphy’s retirement and Howe missing on occasions, has remained intact and yet it concedes scores every week. We need upgrades on Noble, Frampton and Markov and Sidey is much closer to the end than the beginning. We only have three quality defenders and two of them have had poor seasons. They will be fine next year but but that still leaves a number of holes to fill, even when Moore, Maynard and Quaynor are at their best.
Conversely, we have been decimated in the front half and our lowest score in the past month was last night ( 71 points ) Miochek and McStay are on our list, so further improvement in our forward line is at our finger tips for the short term at least.
Back on defence, Harrison certainly played a different role last night. It’s like he started as a very high half forward and then shifted behind the ball as the defensive extra ( always harder to interpret when you’re watching on the TV) Maybe this is the beginning of a change of ends for Harrison next year. At least Jaith looks a player and will get more chances next year and maybe one of Eyre or Dean improves enough to pass Frampton by as a key defender. I’d also like to see W H E do his next pre season as a defender also.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote:
23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Who’s seriously thinking that 2023 was our only chance on the flag
True this dude wallows on mass pessimism, shits me to tears, has all the earmarks of a damn troll. Dickhead. :roll: :roll:
My favorite was when he was calling for a player to come into the team who had been back in the team for two weeks already. After that I ignore everything he posts.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

think positive wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1035508/a-p ... -end-again

it was from an article last year and it literally shows geelong has been to more than us over that same period lol
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

think positive wrote:
jatsad wrote:
shawthing wrote:Just never up for it this season. Blew all our luck last year (except Nick's Brownlow). Thank God we won the flag last year because I can't see us winning again for a very long time. This team is done - not just for this season. It must be rebuilt now. No point busting a gut to win anymore this year. Get as good a draft pick as possible (or did we trade away next year's first round pick on that spud from Freo? - sorry, but that and the getting rid of Ginnivan goes right to the top of bad trades in our club's history).

So many things done wrong this year. Reality check in a BIG way. Our only interest now is making sure the Blues or Dons don't pinch a flag. But I think Brisbane will probably win now anyway.
FFS. Schultz has played 15 games for 19 goals and tackles like a man possessed.
Ginnivan 15 games for 17 goals and can't even spell tackle.

I know who I'd rather have and we don't have to have a smartarse twit in the team.
yeah i agree, much as I still hate the fact

I honestly believe there was more to it, something not made public, be it the rumours of video footage, or something else.

ASK McStay, and others in our team,the little shit is too much of a smartarse, cant wait for hiim to stuffup at the Dawks, see how sniper Mitchell handles him then,be very interesting. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

woodys_world69 wrote:
think positive wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1035508/a-p ... -end-again

it was from an article last year and it literally shows geelong has been to more than us over that same period lol
I blame Hine !
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Collingwood lost the centre clearances 16 to 6. That's the game, right there.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

think positive wrote:geezus thats an amazing stat! wow, just WOW!!
Yep I've mentioned this stat in the past.

Shows how consistent we've been in the past two decades.

https://nick.magpies.net/bb/viewtopic.p ... c&start=40
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Collingwouldn't »

shawthing wrote:
piedys wrote:
Well I'm already broken; but would have been beyond repair had we lost....
Chin up mate. We're down for the count this year, so it's important we throw in the towel for 2024 and make sure that our fight in 2025 is a knockout again. But we can't keep taking this many blows for much longer.

There's not a single Collingwood player (and I'm including Nick in this) who has improved on last season. Of course we've blooded some new kids with promise. Richards looked alright tonight. But all those players we relied on last year have either been injured or have just stunk the joint up bigtime. And there are some big names in there.

As for the yellow perils, we know they hate Collingwood: Is the Pope a Catholic? Does the sun rise every morning? As we've said time and again, it's not the total free kick count that matters, but where they are paid and when they AREN'T paid.
No, the bear's Catholic. The pope shits in the woods.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

piedys wrote: Does the sun rise every morning?
It does but doesn’t shine on everyone. It has had a dark cloud over Collingwood for the last couple of weeks for some reason
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Oh boy. Hawks have knocked over Freo to level us on points. If they end our season with a full stop next week I will never hear the end of it from the most arrogant supporter group of all.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.