Post Match. Pies thumped. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Post Match. Pies thumped. All comments.

Post by Said by Zed »

Something is wrong in the state of Denmark….or at least at the AIA Centre.

It now seems obvious some heavy duty bath water guzzling has taken place resulting in what is clearly a chronic case of premiership hangover.

What you do without the footy is key to success in modern day footy and post 2023 the mighty Pies are doing the bare minimum. Two-way running, tackling, running to support, blocking and shepherding, manning up and close opponent marking, whole of ground defensive pressure (especially in the middle), body contact, accountability and effective starting positions is critical. Now, this isn’t so much an indictment of the playing group as it is the master puppeteers…the coaches, selection committee, and list managers.

Blind Freddy can see the players have hit a wall (evident from around r20 last year) due primarily to the game style. It’s extremely taxing and injuries are bound to happen and when they do come thick and fast…the dam wall starts to crack and trickle slowly but then becomes a torrent…especially after so many hard fought, grinding, exhausting close finishes…which we’ve had far too often. Most good footy judges identified this after the 2022 season and predicted a Thelma and Louise event (going over the cliff for you non-cinephiles) in 2023, which history shows was actually a year too early.

Hawthorn weren’t so much that good as we were that bad. Again, I’m not blaming the players as much as I do the man in charge and who contrary to the facade seems to have succumbed to the Hubris monster, Craig McRae. Our system was worked out ages ago, before the conclusion of last year, and if not for the grit and determination of the players we should have gone out in straight sets.

I sat there last night laughing like a mad man at the ineptitude of our system whereby we don’t pressure the mark allowing the opposition to get easy territory gain and forward momentum post any mark….and due to our all ground zoning there are many. In fact uncontested positions have been the precursor to easy opposition goals all season. The opposition have clearly worked us out and are short kicking and hand balling right through us like a hot knife through butter surmounting to incredible pressure on the back six.

In another post I said this game would determine where we’re at….Brethren, we are firmly back seat driving with Thelma and Louise.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

woodys_world69 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:38 am this season illustrates to me... how close we were to NOT being premiers last year
Fair point. We all know that in the latter half of last season we started faltering and only just got things together enough to hold on for massive close wins in the finals. It could easily have gone the other way and we'd be truly feeling sick today.

I'm looking at the coaching square in the face this morning. Chaos ball which got us the flag last year really is a no-brainer kind of footy. It worked at Richmond because they had the cattle to sustain it over a prolonged period. And Dusty is twice the size of Nick Daicos. But once more skilled teams (and let's face it we have long been one of the least skilled footy teams in the AFL) have worked out a surefire way to defeat us. Play keepings off and then rip us apart when going forward. When everything clicked last year and with the self-belief at an all time high we were able to win the ones that mattered. This year we can't win a cracker. And the coaching staff has NFI. If they did they'd switch a few things up. About the best Fly can come up with is swing Howe forward. As for the midfield it is pure insanity. They just keep doing the same thing over and over and over. And it will burn Nick Daicos out before he plays 100 games at this rate with his small body!

Fly and the coaching staff should be put on notice. A repeat of this next year and you're out the door!
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:57 pm Mid 3rd Quarter...Our VFL team is going to go down to Carlton by 10+ goals

Only Bytel is playing well
"Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the cupboard
To give the poor dog a bone
When she got there
The cupboard was bare
So the poor lil' dog had none"

Almost the worst list now in the AFL. You scratch your head. Was last year a greater win that the so-called "Miracle on Ice" when the undermanned USA team beat the Soviets in Olympic Ice Hockey? I'm serious. With so few bona fide stars, HTF did we actually pull it off last year? The list cupboard is empty.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Getting annoyed at the Hine hate he did recruit the players that won the GF last year
Guess he was responsible when we lose but someone else gets the credit when we win
The AFL has designed the draft and recruiting to be fair to all teams ie after time at the top you go down
We have spent years being successful so have had poor recruiting opportunities
Look at WCE Richmond and Hawthorn all spent time at the bottom after success
Compare our top ten draft picks over the last two decades compared to Carlscum North etc
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
5:11pm
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

Big T wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:17 pm You lost me at Bailey Smith.

Keep 1st round pick and find a recruiting manager who can actually pick early draft talent.
Fair enough.

But it will be a late 1st round pick and our draft record is poor.

Smith is an elite top ten talent who runs both ways all day. He’s 23. Play him on the wing.

Davies is a big bodied tackling machine who’s hungrier than a grave diggers dog. Quicker than Will Brodie who would also be handy if we get him cheap.

All of a sudden our aging midfield is 25 and under.

We don’t need a rebuild, we just gotta move fast.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:29 pm Geez, that was ugly. People who sat through that in the rain need some sort of medal...or treatment!

I guess the only thing you can say is it has to happen to push through the rebuild. Get the list properly fit, work the underperformers into a better head space, filter which youngsters we're going to go with, introduce some new twists on the method, etc.

It's a brutal game. It was absolutely worthwhile putting it all on the line for that glorious premiership. The smarter we are from here, the faster we cycle back.

Carna' Pies. Don't drop your heads; this is life.
this and too many have forgotten it too easily and quickly.

Look it was cold wet and miserable yesterday, my day was a comedy of errors, from almost trapping my head in the tailgate of my new car (smacked my ear, ripped the skin, luckily didnt break my hearing aide) to not having tickets until the last minute, and sitting on level 4 til Jezza said there was plenty of seats on one, to sliding on a metal grate on the way in, resulting in thumping my left kneecap, which is now grazed, bruised and swollen, twisting my right hip as I landed, and hurting my right wrist to break my fall, Im literally the walking wounded today, feel like i got hit by a truck! But after the game, Im not angry. disappointed of course. But gees it was 2 solid years to win that flag, and a damn mighty effort, and it was so damn glorious! im not ready to let that feeling go. They made us start early, 3 games in 12 days, interstate, and then the injuries started mounting up, and yes, injuries are an excuse for all but geefrickenlong who seem to have a bottomless pit of depth, they gotta be paying under the table! 2 games lost to poor umpire decisions, and far too many to woeful goal kicking.

so where to from here?

I dont want to see hanger throwing competitions, I dont want to see impossible angle shot play, I want to see Jonny style goal kicking practise for the entire team, from everywhere! including 15 metres out, FFS, I could have kicked that in heels! From here on out test every player. If they are definitely top 18 and they have a niggle, get em out of the team and into rehab now, get them ready for 2025, I'm including Moore and DeGoey here. Get the next ruck in waiting out there do give Darcy a spell, he has been fricking amazing. PLAY THE KIDS!! see what they are made of. Test the likes of Lippa, because we need to trade. we need a KPP FF, we need height. get ruthless. this year is $@&^#, so get to work on next year.

and sort out the coaching shit, let wright go if its going to balls everything else up.

Im happy for Fly to keep talking the talk, dont give the media anything! its backs to the wall time guys, us against them, and SIDE BY damn SIDE!!

all you pricks that left before the siren? SHAME ON YOU!

ill be posting some pics shortly! Because win lose or draw, I love this damn team, this club, and this forum!!

Go Pies!!

pass the jimmy!!

edit: at no point in time have i ever typed damn!!!
Last edited by think positive on Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

neil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:46 pm Getting annoyed at the Hine hate he did recruit the players that won the GF last year
Guess he was responsible when we lose but someone else gets the credit when we win
The AFL has designed the draft and recruiting to be fair to all teams ie after time at the top you go down
Compare our top ten draft picks over the last two decades compared to Carlscum North etc
yep, this!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Collingwouldn't »

5:11pm wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:53 pm
[/quote]
While you're at it, why don't you just grab Jesus and The Avengers while at the recruitment supermarket!
5:11pm
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

Davies and Smith are both on the market and gettable.

What’s your solution … Long & Sullivan?
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:12 am Kane Cornes on 9 right now loving Ginnivan showing off constantly yesterday and carrying on after a goal. Nathan Brown called him out and said Cornes hated it when Ginnivan played for Collingwood (so loudly and weekly it derailed Ginnivan’s season). Silence. They’re all Collingwood-hating hypocrites.

Kane TOAD Cornes is a total village idiot, and slug, Defo has a real chip on his shoulder re the Magpies, he has it in for certain teams, and we are one of em. Yeh, hated Ginni with us, I well recall that. Poor week to watch any footy shows, the haters are out in force now, so I checked out, will delete and footy show now. Next week, they will have some other team to ridicule.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

think positive wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:01 pm
neil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:46 pm Getting annoyed at the Hine hate he did recruit the players that won the GF last year
yep, this!!!

yeh, this too. Not a good day here, as if the Flag never existed. Im very disappointed too, very much so, but gnashing teeth and spewing venom wont help, from usual glass half empties. Im just amazed also by a this shithouse fixture we got, Ok we won the flag, I understand we get a tough one.BUT, has anyone bothered to checkout the Bluescum easy pesy, last six matches, and they did make the Prelim Final, not a low side last yr.! Today, they have Norf for the second time, and have played hapless Tigers twice so far, we have played Norf once, and not even played Tigers yet ?? Utter madness, and im damned if im swayed by any half assed counter argument here, fixture is a total ****.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I want to thank Wrighty and Fly.
The last 50-60 years of Collingwood history has often been about good ordinary teams somehow managing to
scrap and hustle their way to the big dance and then lose.
Last year these two managed to get a good ordinary team over the line.

Now it's time for Wrighty to do what he did at Hawthorn, make tough decisions and reconstruct the team.
He knows how to do it. Let's hope the club let's him do it. Let's also hope that he wants to stick around to do it.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

2020 draft
Pk17- Oliver (gone)
Pk19-Macrae(won’t make it)
Pk23- McInness (??? Will he make it)
Pk30- Poulter (gone)
Pk31- McMahon (gone)
Pk44- McCreey

2021 draft
Pk4 Nick
Pk45- Arlo Draper(gone)
Pk49-Cooper Murley(gone)
Pk 52 H.Harrison

10 picks & 5 players left on the list. Other than Nick how many will be on the list in two years?
Those
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I started watching the replay, wow what a hiding. Kreuger missing from 10 m WTF - I could kick that wearing high heels. Gave up watching after 1st quarter, that was enough.

The rot started proper against North I think. We were winning games, then all of a sudden since North, we've slipped down a steep slope and now have fallen over the cliff. Go figure. Fly has said many times the players need love, I think a kick up the arse might be more beneficial.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

My final thought on that miserable forgettable match, in context. WE won the Premiership last season, and it was fantastic, a wonderful memory no one can forget, we got a flag for the ages. Sixteen teams, plus us , 17, wont win the Grand Final this season, only the 18th will get it, and if you dont win it, you are quickly forgotten, so we are in good company. Mate of mine, Saints fan, seen one flag, entire life, decades ago, when he was a kid. We have very little to complain about, really.