Trade winds: Get Petracca

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: Get Petracca

Post by think positive »

@RudeBoy
id love him too. and if he is causing drama there, we may get him at a reasonable rate.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Woods Of Ypres wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:34 pm I was all for Petracca but he's coming off as a bit of a Diva and a cry baby with this trauma stuff.
yep what a fricken sook, he should have played out the match when the docs at melbourne said "you're fine mate" he should have stayed out there and died in his boots. Bloody crispy telling him "hey mate, you need to go off, you should not be playing" gees what a loser!!!!

and fancy him coming out like a woman and admitting nearly dying on the footy field has left him traumatised!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:53 pm Rumour has it Petracca’s management have given Melbourne a ultimatum either it’s a trade away to a club of his choice (not theirs) or he’s going public on what he believes to be massive breaches in the player welfare space inside the club starting with the treatment of injured players by the coach who basically ignores any player who isn’t available to play each weekend.

Yeh, I recall against us, after the injury, he played on, was quite ill, white as a sheet, couple of our guys advised him to get off the ground, for his own sakes, Melbourne really cocked thatup, on player welfare. If what you say is true this could get very messy for the Deees, its obvious he wants the Magpies , the " big club" as he barracked for us, one eyed fan. Look, id like him, but im not sure, that Grundy, Treloar, Stepho cock up salary cap scarred me, dont want to go down that break the bank road again. I heard some dillpot say swap JDG and a first rounder for him, iike WTF ?????? are people just naturally dumb an stupid ?? No way Jose, lets just stay out of this one, Collingwood. Im not convinced. :? :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

At the end of the day, he will no doubt end up at Geelong , as we all know, they dont have a salary cap down at Sleepy Hollow Cat City. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

Given our history I’m honestly shocked how suddenly we are too good to bring in Petracca… i don’t mean to be rude but you have to be completely delulu to not jump at the chance to bring a player of his calibre in, even despite the serious injury.

We’ve all sat through Jordan Russell and Patrick Karnezis trades, or Q Lynch and Clinton Young FA “jackpots”. That we are now talking as if Tom Lynch and Christian Petracca would be a net negative is laughable.

We need to remember that the Salary cap continues to balloon, while the players we had who once demanded top dollar are now in their twilight. That said it would still be wise (and no doubt already in motion) to squeeze both deals as much as possible. E.g. Tigers pay a portion of Lynch, and Dees break even to where we are no longer paying for Grundy.

They could both be Daniel Wells 2.0 but I’d rather have a crack and it not fully pan out than die wondering.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Pickett requesting trade. Does this make it easier or harder to pull Petracca? Almost feels like one of the admin need to take a sacrificial fall on their own swords for the club to pull itself out of the fire.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 745b3168a7

Or maybe they somehow need to offload Oliver to settle the place down?
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

$1000000 a year for FIVE years for someone who turns 30 next year
Petracca sounds like he is suffering from PTSD so no guarantee he will last even two years with Collingwoods media scrutiny
Add the AFL hatred of bad publicity esp around drugs and desire to punish clubs why put a noose around our necks?
How can we find suitable trades/draft picks without trading some really good players
Melbourne will be after blood
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

neil wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:47 pm $1000000 a year for FIVE years for someone who turns 30 next year
He turns 29 next year ~ born 4 January 1996 (age 28)

Regardless, I get a bad vibe about him joining us. Feels a bit like Beams all over again with underlying issues that have yet to be addressed. (Funny thing about Dayne, I just realized he's still only 34). So much of our game is between the ears. Till Christian proves that he's sorted that out there are just too many risks; at least this year.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'd love to get Petracca (I'd love to root Beyonce too) but it ain't gonna happen. We don't have the draft picks and we can't afford his salary. End of story.
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

Jay-Z may yet write a disstrack aimed towards our very own RudeBoy.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

RudeBoy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:46 pm I'd love to get Petracca (I'd love to root Beyonce too) but it ain't gonna happen. We don't have the draft picks and we can't afford his salary. End of story.
I break contracts all by myself
Won't let my freedom rot in hell
Hey! I'ma keep running
'Cause a winner don't quit on themselves
The Black and White Lion
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

What if Fly was asking for a key forward because he was trying to facilitate a trade for Petracca?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I'm still intrigued by the concept that we don't have the salary cap space to take Trac.

How?

The only 2 on big money next year would be Moore and Jordy. McStay is on decent coin but not massive, Pendles, Sidey and Howe should have all taken a haircut in re-signing, we've been recruiting rookies who are cheap, we should have a shitpile of space in the cap from 2025 on.

As far as Trac himself goes, I'm hearing he's genuinely not in a good space at the moment, so 1 of 2 things are going to happen between now and the start of trade period.

1. He'll settle down emotionally and decide to stay
2. He spirals and becomes adamant he wants out.

In case 2, Melbourne will have to seriously look at cutting their losses and just get him out. In that case, it also becomes buyer beware.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I think every single selection is a risk so I don’t see any reason not to go ahead based on that. I’m surprised that so many here are against his recruitment. Are we not daring in our efforts to get better anymore and always go with the safe options that may or may not bring success? I’m all for taking calculated risks and going with the decision wherever it takes us. At present, we need something outside the box to improve and I’m all for having a go. Exciting if it works out and so be it if it doesn't 🙄
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

stui magpie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:37 pm I'm still intrigued by the concept that we don't have the salary cap space to take Trac.

How?

The only 2 on big money next year would be Moore and Jordy. McStay is on decent coin but not massive, Pendles, Sidey and Howe should have all taken a haircut in re-signing, we've been recruiting rookies who are cheap, we should have a shitpile of space in the cap from 2025 on.
Correct, cap space is not the issue, the only issue is appeasing Melbourne in a trade and that's where we fall down.

However, everyone falls down because none of the players Melbourne want at other clubs would want to go there, especially when they're losing their best player.

But as you mentioned, if he wants out then Melbourne will have to cut their losses somewhat and that's hopefully where we are his only destination and they have to deal.