What made you sad today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Hey Ken. I know exactly how you feel. But you can't blame yourself. None of the friends in my group spoke about what happened until many years later. One of our group actually committed suicide which then got everyone talking (we were in our 20's then) and wishing we'd said something sooner... we were just terrified kids.

I still haven't told my parents about the monster who lived 4 doors down, who they thought, was their friend.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Thanks Skids, sad to hear that you have also suffered. I have decided to reach out to someone I know that has gone through this for some advice.
I thought that I was okay but I do believe that I might need some help.
Cheers big ears
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I agree with David, Ken, get in touch with a professional. There's plenty who work in the sexual trauma space. I can probably get some contacts for you if you like.

And Skids, shit man, sorry to hear it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Thanks David and Stui, I have reached out to a professional and will take advice. Thanks to all on here this place helps a lot.
Cheers big ears
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Goodonya mate, take care.

It's a bit like a family on here at times, often more Manson than Partridge but hey. :wink:

But seriously, where I work at the moment, apart from other things, they provide services to kids and families who've experienced trauma, violence and sexual assault. I can easily ask for some contacts in your area and pass them on, just PM me if the one you've got doesn't work out.

Good luck.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Well it’s great this thread has been dormant for a couple of months, Ken I hope you are well xx

My sister in law who was married to hubby’s brother had a brother who woke up about 35 years ago and had lost his memory almost completely, his recall was less than 5 min. No explanation has ever been found. He was a lovely guy. I didn’t know him before it happened but apparently he really was. He passed away this morning, I’m sad for his family but TBH I’m guessing there is relief there too. He’s been in a nursing home for the last few years, his wife kept him home for so long, she’s truly amazing. RIP Greg, xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I’ve officially joined the orphan club. My Mum died peacefully last Sunday. and Family were able to say goodbye and tell her they loved her. She was 88.

This is a de-identified post from my youngest:

My grandmother (WPT’s Mum) died on Sunday. She was a tour de force - kind, beautiful, funny, intelligent, at times difficult, and always loving. She was born in Warsaw in 1934, survived the holocaust, and married my zaida in a displaced persons camp in Germany when the war finished. They moved to Australia in 1950 first Fitzroy North, then East Brunswick, and later Caulfield South. WPT’s Mum had three children by the time she was 22. She taught herself English, and spoke it fluently alongside Yiddish, Hebrew, Polish and Russian. In Australia, she worked in a nail factory, worked as a clerk in a hospital, went to university late in life and studied arts and law, completing her honours in Russian language. 

Later in her life, WPT’s Mum ran a 1/2 marathon, became president of her rotary club, climbed to Mount Annapurna basecamp and taught jewish history. She taught/volunteered at a local “community school” for kids who have issues fitting in to regular school.

She was also a talented painter and writer, and the most incredible cook. Dinners for Rosh Hashanah or Passover went all night, with gefilte fish, chicken soup, briskets and cakes. As a young child, WPT’s mum always seemed glamorous, lots of gold jewellery and painted nails. She could also be embarrassing - in any cafe we would go into in Caulfield she would announce to everyone that I was her granddaughter…, and that she was so proud of me. 

Alzheimers cruelly marked the last few years of her life. While her mind and memories became unreliable in the end, her love for her family never did, nor did her love for talking with me about the law. 

On Friday, I got to sit with her, and I washed her hands and painted her nails and told her I loved her. I will miss her deeply ❤️
……………………………………………………………………………….

For me a mix of it being sad, awful and a relief. Taking this week off work.
Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Condolences, WPT. That's a beautiful tribute, and she sounds like she was a remarkable woman. Thoughts are with you and the family.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

^ Thanks David.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, Condolences Jim. Wonderful tribute there by the daughter, sounds like she packed a fair bit into that life, finally at peace.
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:Yeah, Condolences Jim. Wonderful tribute there by the daughter, sounds like she packed a fair bit into that life, finally at peace.
Cheers Stui
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

What a sensational tribute from your daughter, wow. Sorry for your loss.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
watt price tully

lazzadesilva wrote:What a sensational tribute from your daughter, wow. Sorry for your loss.
Cheers Lazza
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Sorry for your loss WPT.
From your daughters tribute, a life well lived.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome