#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

A great year, just hope he and Pendles can keep fit and injury free for one more year....fingers crossed!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

He was mighty.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:A great year, just hope he and Pendles can keep fit and injury free for one more year....fingers crossed!
I hope so too. He'll get to 300 games, and will move to second on the all time games played for Collingwood.

Pendles needs less than 400 disposals to surpass Robert Harvey to move to Number 1 on the list of total disposals in their career.

Two more seasons, and Pendles could make it to 400 games!!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

He got better once he started to kick to Collingwood players rather than the Swans after the 1st qtr.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Unlike De Goey, who solved the disposal efficiency problem by not having any. Why don't you troll somebody else's thread - this one is about an all-time Collingwood great.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

Hope we wins the Copeland.
The best post-war nude pandemic couch-surfing wingman of this great club.
"TWO more Years !"
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:He already has a 3-year deal to 2025. Don’t worry about it. He remains our second-best player and since he’s always been as slow as a coach, he’s not going to drop off as he loses pace, like most do. With a bit of luck, given his extraordinary fitness and, as tonight’s final quarter showed, mental strength, he’s a fair chance of being the first AFL player to reach 500 games. He could yet be the first 45 year old wingman in the AFL.
I must say mate your entertaining
From his own mouth he signed a 1 year extension which wasn’t lodged immediately while he and the club ensured he had the desire and form required to go on
He’s been ok this year not starring but doing his job
He isn’t out 2nd best player it’s unlikely he’s in the top 5 any longer and that’s a good thing we need to evolve the list and plan for life after him and Pendles and Howe
Like most of our players last night in the first half they played poorly as he did and take away that last quarter goal and his night wasn’t anything to rave about
We had half our 22 below there expected form really and that was costly
In the end we move into next year knowing barring injury or form he could be playing his 300th late next season and that will likely be end for him which is what he has said himself
To paraphrase slightly
He’s a dad now and football isn’t his #1 priority which is fine he wants to move back closer to Shepparton on some land and raise his kid/s there while his partner pursued her legal career
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Sometimes it seems like you don't actually watch the game. His last quarter was inspirational. His goal was good - but he did all the hard things that we all expect others, better suited to the role physically, would do. Anyway, whatever. He's likely going past Gordon Coventry's games tally next season, so at some stage people will probably stop diminishing the greatness of his career.

On the downside, his contested marking still isn't good enough for him to play centre-half forward.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

There’s NO other player in our team who would’ve kicked that goal near the end.
That was an extremely skilful player doing what others can’t.
- Side By Side -
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ The thing is that if you look at the minute of player leading up to it, from the previous Collingwood goal, he is all over the ground, bumping and tackling to cause a stoppage at an outnumber at halfback, putting further efforts in the contest in the midfield and then just being rewarded for his continued hard running. We know he is a brilliantly skilled footballer but his hard running keeps Collingwood in so many contests when he turns up to be the extra player at the contest. He runs hard, long and deep to both ends. No, he isn't quick - he never has been - but his work ethic and repeat efforts are exemplary. His attack on the football from the commencement of the last quarter, in the air and on the ground, was great leadership. He wasn't going to settle for second best, the Swans were going to have to beat his team. Tragic to think that - but for the disgusting non-free against Papley - that minute of effort from half back to the forward pocket would have carried Collingwood into a Grand Final.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Unlike De Goey, who solved the disposal efficiency problem by not having any. Why don't you troll somebody else's thread - this one is about an all-time Collingwood great.
And why do you single out pies midfielders? First Treloar, now De Goey...you would dead set character assassinate the Captain if you thought it might help keep Grundy at the Club
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I didn't single out De Goey - I responded to eddiesmith's usual churlish trolling in a thread about Sidebottom's greatness.

I do single out Collingwood midfielders. Pendlebury and Sidebottom are two of the greatest midfielders ever to play the game. Treloar is just a bloke we paid too much for and I couldn't stand watching (before, I remind you, we recruited him) - because his game-style was wrong and too soft to stand up when it mattered. I don't think much about De Goey - he's a magnificent talent who occasionally turns a game. Did it surprise me that didn't turn up yesterday? Not much - it happens a lot, so you know the Coach has to have a plan to win without him.

My pet hate - having watched Collingwood lose unlosable Grand Finals for more than 60 years - is players who don't turn up consistently in finals. Anyone can have a shocker but some players have them repeatedly in the biggest games. Bill Picken always turned up - you could depend on him to lift in big games. Some people just don't have the mental capacity for that - things go wrong, players make mistakes, the bounce of the ball doesn't go your way. Get up and have another crack. I have no time whatsoever for the ones that don't.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

I think De Goey has runs on the board as a finals performer, and I actually thought he tried hard all night, as opposed to some of his previous seasons when he would really go missing.

Johnson will need top perform in our next final, assuming he is there

Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

DeGoey was ok last night, especially when you take into account Sydney tagged him with their best player Parker. I thought Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp & DeGoey got Collingwood back into the game. I thought Johnston, Noble & Howe were below their best last night.
I think the tactic of playing Moore on the 3rd most Dangerous Sydney forward didn’t work as Franklin took a few contested marks which isn’t common. I’m hoping Darcy Moore gets to play CHB next year to become the premier attacking defender in the AFL and help drive Collingwood to the premiership next year.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Boot wrote:DeGoey was ok last night, especially when you take into account Sydney tagged him with their best player Parker.
Parker one of the few players in AFL who have the aerobic capacity in their tank to go with JDG, and physically restrain him from taking clean possession.
I thought he got to the contests okay last night, just couldn't break away cleanly with ball in hand, thanks mainly to Parker?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever