SINGING OF CLUB SONG

A forum for the use of Collingwood's Cheer Squad - and for anyone else who would like to comment on or contact the Cheer Squad.

Moderator: bbmods

JLC

SINGING OF CLUB SONG

Post by JLC »

Do we really need to have our club song sung when we are losing?? Im all for cheering and getting behind the team but hearing our song is like rubbing salt into a deep wound for me. Its bad enough watching us lose let alone hearing our song. It would be like seeing the players walk off the field after a loss and sing the song in the clubrooms.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

For myself, 'Good Old Collingwood Forever' is a victory song.

Anyone who has an interest in Cheerleading etc knows of victory cheers/songs/chants. And to me, they are reserved for when we have won, hence 'victory'. That is what makes a win so special.

While I think it is great that the squad are showing a united front and their Collingwood pride is so high, but I couldn't sing it. :(

Maybe just as effective would've been just a rousing rendition of Coooolllinnnngggwoooodd etc

Just a thought... :)

Jen
HANDS OFF OUR JUMPER

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
joffa_the_man_in_gold

Post by joffa_the_man_in_gold »

I have no problem with singing the club song when we are losing we have done it for sometime now and im aware it did certainly upset some of the faithful last night, we'll take it back to the cheersquad and the let the majority decide if its a good thing or not, however i believe and its only my opinion that the singing of the song shows solidarity in defeat its a bit like saying ok you bastards you've beaten us on the field but in the terraces we shall never be beaten.
Collingwood today, Collingwood tomorrow,Collingwood forever... we'll always do things the collingwood way... side by side we stick together to uphold the greatest name in football.

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
joffa_the_man_in_gold

Look we will take this to the next committe meeting the last thing the cheersquad wants to do is get off side with all other collingwood supporters, if the singing of the song offended last night we are indeed sorry.
Collingwood today, Collingwood tomorrow,Collingwood forever... we'll always do things the collingwood way... side by side we stick together to uphold the greatest name in football.

Joffa Corfe

Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

I don't think people were offended by singing the club song Joffa, i think everyone was just very flat from the loss. I'm with Jen on the Collllllllllllllllllinnnnnnnnnnnnngwoooooooooood chant instead.
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
geordie_matt

Post by geordie_matt »

how about singing ''you'll never walk alone'' a song that if ppl join in will sound defiant and proud and show the players we support them when we are losing
zoia

Post by zoia »

last nite there was one guy in our cheer squad i really wanted to smack over the head with my flag, i think alot of u would remember him he was a dumb swans fan kept cheering all the time everytime they got a goal i was like sit down and shut the beep up lol
Dr Alf Andrews

Post by Dr Alf Andrews »

I fail to see how anybody can be offended by hearing the Club song sung during a loss.

Of course, it sounds a lot different during a loss. It's a lot quieter, for starters. And it's got a real sense of melancholy about it. And I, for one, will be very disappointed if we stop singing it.

If you can't bring yourself to join in, then fair enough. But how can you condemn those who do.

The song is not just a "victory" song. It's our Club song ... It's THE Club song. And singing it during a loss is a great way to say that no-matter-what ... no matter how bad it gets ... we are still COLLINGWOOD .... Good Old COLLINGWOOD ... and we will continue to be Good Old COLLINGWOOD .... not just this week ... not just next week ... not just when we win ... but FOREVER ... y'know what I'm saying?
JLC

Post by JLC »

I just think there are so many other chants that could be sung instead.

How about the "We love you Collingwood" chant. That probably shows our love for the club just as good as the song.

or "We are Collingwood and who the hell are you"

or the grog squad have a good one "You only cheer when your winning". Thats actually one of the better chants that i have heard and is directed at the opposition supporters. Its true as most of the other clubs only cheer when they are winning. That is the best chant to insult opposition supporters. Can you imagine at Colonial if EVERYONE did that chant TOGETHER how good it would sound.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
joffa_the_man_in_gold

JLC wrote:I just think there are so many other chants that could be sung instead.

How about the "We love you Collingwood" chant. That probably shows our love for the club just as good as the song.

or "We are Collingwood and who the hell are you"

or the grog squad have a good one "You only cheer when your winning". Thats actually one of the better chants that i have heard and is directed at the opposition supporters. Its true as most of the other clubs only cheer when they are winning. That is the best chant to insult opposition supporters. Can you imagine at Colonial if EVERYONE did that chant TOGETHER how good it would sound.

Jon mate the we are collingwood and who the hell are you is indeed mouth watering i will ring you one night this week and talk about it, i can imagine this one going off big time at football park next week.
jlc

Joffa Corfe

CAAS

Post by CAAS »

I was standing there on Saturday nite watching as people sang the song. I dont agree with it but its there choice. I think the club song is only for winning games, thats what the club song was made up for, when you win.
I would rather we just kept cheering our guts out and sang other songs like Walk alone (as said by JLC). The problem arises of course when people decided to venture away form the game like into the Locker Room so they can get a drink b4 the rush or they go home. As i noticed a lot of people did on Saturday night. I am disappointed in the loss, copped heaps from my old man who follows the swans but who cares, i still walked into work with a smile today, copped heaps b4 i got to my office but I'll still keep supporting, wont be bagging the club as i have read on here and I wont be calling for people to be dropped. Sure a couple of changes need to be made but we are good enough and we will turn it around, starting this week at Mullet Park!!

Cheers
Mick
We are the premiers
The mighty premiers
and we are mental, and we are mad
we are the loyalist, football supporters
the world has ever had.
joffa_the_man_in_gold

Hey mick
Stop hangin shit on the MULLETT !!

Joffa Corfe

CAAS

Post by CAAS »

joffa_the_man_in_gold wrote:Hey mick
Stop hangin shit on the MULLETT !!
No offence mate. Just hanging it on them South Aussie ferals.
We are the premiers
The mighty premiers
and we are mental, and we are mad
we are the loyalist, football supporters
the world has ever had.
Fradam

Post by Fradam »

I'm not for singing the song when you lose. It doesn't offend me but I'm still not keen on it.

I remember Steve Waugh said after he made 6 in the second innings at the SCG and the fans gave him a standing ovation, but he was embarassed that he only made 6 and he was being cheered so he ran off the ground.

I think it's similar with the song.

Your free to do what you wish though, it's your cheer squad, run it how you see fit.
Do I look like the tech?
STOKA35

Post by STOKA35 »

to me the song should not be sung when we are losing or lost to me this sort of signals we have no respect for the opposition we have played against.By singing the song we might seem arrogant and we dont rate you we should have beaten you.I like jlc approach of another song or chant that shows the players we are still behind them.im would like to hear a players point of view though.