something special??

A forum for the use of Collingwood's Cheer Squad - and for anyone else who would like to comment on or contact the Cheer Squad.

Moderator: bbmods

JAMESMANSON

something special??

Post by JAMESMANSON »

The first cheersquad to sell out, the first to be sponsored on match day, first with the gold jacket, first with many unique chants, first with game over, first with a rotating front row, first with our banners, first for passion...lest face it there is a lot to be proud of.

I therefore have been thinking about what we could do to begin a new tradition this week in Sydney and have come up with the following idea:

Why dont we all sing "You will never walk alone" at all away games when we all come back together as one after the banner has been run through.

This would:

a) formalise the start of cheersquad proceedings-i.e chants can follow the song.

b). Galvanise the travelling/away match Magpie crowd and the players who would be lifted by the song sung passionately. Hopefully the rest of the crowd could sing along with us. The words capture the true magpie army spirit.

c). Let opposition clubs know they are facing a uniformed and committed foe and that we have come to play.

I suggest that one of the chant leaders print off the words to the song and add them to the cheersquad news letter to be distributed pre-game with instructions. Then when they return from raising the banner and the players are warming up we begin the song-perhaps arm in arm??

We could even suggest to the club that they play the song prior to our games over the speaker system.

What do others think? Its time for our cheersquad to yet again set the standard.....
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

Please, NO.

This song, although the sentiment is great, is a Liverpool song.

They've (the Liverpool fans) used it for over 40 years. It's synonymous with soccer and Liverpool.

We have a song. A great song.

Why borrow from an English soccer club ??
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
geordie_matt

Post by geordie_matt »

it is a liverpool song BUT many many other clubs use it (celtic,ajax,PSV,anderlecht and many more) even england have been known to use it so why say no to it because it is a passionate song that when sung can lift the team because it says that no matter what they will "never walk alone" and that we are there with them and when you play away that does help players
Donny

Post by Donny »

Yes Matt, many other clubs use it. All soccer clubs.
Donny.

geordie_matt

Post by geordie_matt »

and what is wrong with if they are all soccer clubs... it is that they are so far ahead of australians when it comes to singing and chanting that we should learn from them and not say no we wshould not sing that because soccer clubs do..
vamp7

Post by vamp7 »

English chants ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You hair stands up when you hear it..
You can't compare them to us, they chant from start to finish its awesome!!!!! anyway half of our chats are already from UK just different words....
But ...
The "Never Walk Along" song is a fabulous song but a very hard song to sing, if not in with the right tune we will sound like idiots....lol..
GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miss you Jarrod...
maggies_4_eva

Post by maggies_4_eva »

It was written by Rodgers & Hammerstein for the motion picture 'Carousel'.

Actually has nothing to do with soccer or football.
DidakinthePocket

Post by DidakinthePocket »

Never walk alone is awesome, but too hard. I dont know what song should be sung but its an awesome idea!!! Cudos to James for suggesting it!

NOW PEOPLE, Start to suggest songs. Instead of saying thats a shit idea and then bagging out people, how about making a suggestion to add to the forum.

Stop the attacks and MAKE SUGGESTIONS!!!!!
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

MAGFAN8 wrote:Please, NO.

This song, although the sentiment is great, is a Liverpool song.

They've (the Liverpool fans) used it for over 40 years. It's synonymous with soccer and Liverpool.

We have a song. A great song.

Why borrow from an English soccer club ??
Just to clear the air and enlighten those with some facts concerning this great song, some three to four years ago when we all came together to join the cheersquad and become one cheersquad and as a result has been something that has bought so much joy not only to hundreds upon hundreds of people but also to the club itself and as a result the collingwood cheersquad is the most talked about highest profile cheersquad probably of all time.

The first thing we did with my good friend Doctor Alf is we had to come up with new chants and songs many we still use today, and over the comming summer we will all sit back and come up with some new ones, you'll never walk alone' was one of those songs we chose instantly and we did for some time chant and sing it at games and i think if memory serves me correct we did sing it prior to the start of the game the result beng something like 50/50 i guess it wasnt good and it wasnt bad.

The following year and i think it was probably eddies idea to use this song on the home game promo video on the big screen at the MCG it was sensational a lot of people will no doubt remember it.

Over summer the cheersquad sang this song on its GAME OVER CD and it came up a treat a lot of people sayng it was there fave song on the whole CD we were pretty happy with it.

I think its sad to use the throw away line we shouldnt do it because its either a liverpool song and or an english football song.

Right at this very moment i couldnt think of a better song to describe the emotons of all collingwood supporters.

Sad to se another well meaning topic heading for a shit fight!! :)
Donny

Post by Donny »

"Sad to se(e) another well meaning topic heading for a shit fight!!"

How do you work that out, Joff ?

The closing line of the opening post in this topic clearly says, "What do others think?"

Is it because I'm not in the cheer squad ? If I don't rate an opinion because of this, I accept that but it's the whole football community who'll be hearing the cheersquad singing that song if you decide to use it.

I'm a Pies supporter of 48 years. I would squirm if I heard our cheersquad singing this in public.

As I said, we HAVE a song - a GREAT song.
Donny.

cobood

Post by cobood »

Well geez Donny u mustve squirmed a lot when we sang it and watched it on the big screen.... personally the song gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes, because it invokes feelings of passion and especially when things are as they are this year it gives you a sense of unity.....

I luv it !
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
Donny

Post by Donny »

.... and "Good Old Collingwood For Ever" doesn't ???

May as well go the whole hog, Frankie, and introduce "The Star Spangled Banner" as well. I suppose it's only a matter of time.

Aussie men are 'guys' now. 'Blokes' seems extinct. Shit, even the women are guys. :D

Our culture is fast disappearing and here was me thinking a big part of our culture that's unique is our great game and, in particular, Collingwood.

I have no problem with "Walk Alone" being an inspirational song but for it to be linked with the Mighty Magpies will be just another piece of Aussie culture contaminated.

By all means, sing it at CS functions if you need something (other than our club theme song) to unify the group but if you attempt to foist this on other Pies' supporters in public then you're asking for ridicule because there'll be a louder noise. That of the other clubs' fans laughing.
Donny.

cobood

Post by cobood »

Magfan posted
but if you attempt to foist this on other Pies' supporters in public then you're asking for ridicule because there'll be a louder noise. That of the other clubs' fans laughing.
That is your opinion but I know different!
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
Donny

Post by Donny »

Of course it's my opinion. That's what JAMESMANSON asked for, wasn't it ?

Obviously I was stating what I think. Unlike your last post where you claim to know what all Pies' supporters AND opposition supporters think.

I checked to see if I was out of line in giving my opinion as I'm not in the CS. The SC Forum heading says: A forum for the use of the Collingwood CS - and for anyone who'd like to comment on or contact the CS.

"Side by side we stick together" doesn't mean we have to be sheep and play follow the leader.

Incidentally, those words are from a song that gives me goosebumps and often brings a tear to my eye - especially when I see my (our) CS and all the other Maggies' fans singing it after a win, at the ground. :D
Donny.

Cannibal

Post by Cannibal »

My own two bob's worth:

I think it would be utterly fantastic for the CS to lead the Magpie supporters in a rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone". Neither Liverpool FC nor any other team "own" the song; it has merely become synonomous with them because Gerry and The Pacemakers recorded it back in the Sixties.

I think it would be terrific if the CS not only sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" but a few more. Over the years, I've done it myself. I have taken, for example, Rangers' and Spurs' songs and written my own words to bits of them and would be happy to pass them on. Actually, one of them is the text under this post - sing it to the tune of the chorus from "John Brown's Body". It's my adaption of the Spurs' supporters song.

We may never reach the heights of the soccer supporters, but that's because it's something they work hard on and have worked on for decades. But we have to start somewhere.

I'm all for it.
Glory Glory Good Old Collingwood, Glory Glory Hallelujah,
Collingwood's The Greatest Team The World Has Ever Seen,
And The 'Pies Go Marching On (in Black and White Stripes Forever!).