Greetings from NZ

If you want to be able to chat about the really interesting stuff in footy without being hassled by the guys - do it here!

Moderators: Hanskies, foxychick

Nutmeg

Greetings from NZ

Post by Nutmeg »

Hi all!
Been in Sydney and NZ since Tuesday playing rugby and I'm SO bereft of football that I just had to jump on here to say hi. I tell you what, you reckon Melbourne is obsessed with footy, you should see these bloody kiwis with their rugby! Every channel, every radio station, every commercial........it's ALL rugby. Thank god they're out of the world cup.

All the copeland pics are great - I'm still trying to deal with the retirements of Licca, Jimmy and Bucks *sniff*. I saw the news with Licca crying when he announced it - it must've been pretty emotional.

I'll be back on soon - keep the Pie news rolling!
Collingwood es bueno para siempre
Ellos saben como jugar el juego....
bellastar

Post by bellastar »

hope you're having fun in NZ.

is the accent really as funny as it sounds up close!? :)
i should i say: us ut really es funny es ut sounds up close?

ha ha!

have fun.
...~*Can't take the kid from the fight, take the fight from the kid (Just sit back)...*~...

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/musical_bellastar
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

Bet that the news of the kiwis getting flogged by the kangaroos today would be making them cry all over again lol!!!

Hope your having fun though Nutmeg!!!
- Thanks for the memories Licca - I'm gonna miss you!!! - Bring on 2008 - Nick Maxwell has my vote for Captain -
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

I know a lot of kiwis back in Melbourne, but yes, the accent still makes me laugh. I keep mis-hearing what they say.

"Dud you unjoy dunner eh?" funny.

Most of the talk about yesterday's league match is how HORRIBLY unfair it was that Steve Matai got sent off for 3/4 of the match. THe Kangaroos were all over them already - it may have made a difference to the final scoreline, but I think the result would have been the same. Go the Stormboys (and thank God it was Mark Gasnier that got smashed!). Folou a try on debut (big surprise) and I thought Cronk combined well with Bird.

BTW - I've been named in the run-on side tomorrow for the first test against the Black Ferns. I'm so excited! Go the wallaroos!

cheers
mel_kay39

Post by mel_kay39 »

It's choice, Nutmeg! Just ask them to count to sux! I also like the way they say fush and chups, lol. My cousin's a kiwi but he lives over here.
A Pie for Life.
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

How did you go Nutmeg?? Did you win??
- Thanks for the memories Licca - I'm gonna miss you!!! - Bring on 2008 - Nick Maxwell has my vote for Captain -
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Unfortunately no.
We played a warmup game against a rep side and we beat them (I played the last 15 mins cos they were playing around with combinations). I then ran on in the first Test match (YAY) and scored a try, but in the 60th minute I sustained a grade tear in my medial ligament so that was the end of my tour. We got done 21-10 in the first test and 29-12 in the second. Considering NZ are world champs and Australia is ranked no. 7 in the world, it wasn't bad effort. It looks like the trans-tasman tests will become an annual thing and next year the Black Ferns will be coming to Oz to play.
Now I can get fat over summer (no more training WOOHOO!)

Back at work now....that's no fun!
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

Oh mate! That sucks!! Do you need an op or anything??
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Nah not at this stage.
I'm stuck in this ugly as brace at the moment - I look like a robot which is making all my students laugh!
Off to see the physio tomorrow - I doubt I'll need surgery, but you never know! Best case scenario, 4-6 weeks no sport.
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

Man that sucks!!! But as you said best case is only 4-6 weeks!!!
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

All Good!
My physio is rapt at the recovery rate of my torn brachialis muscle (in my arm) and now just have to get stuck into rehab for the muscle wastage around my injured knee. No sport for 4-6 (so a lot of cricket scoring is coming my way) but no surgery YAY
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

Thats great news Nutmeg!!! Good for you!!!!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

where did you play in nz? and what position did you play?

i lived there for a number of years and the kiwis always ribbed me about saying six and fish and chips etc. they actually don't think there is anything wrong with their accents even though no other countries slur their vowels like they do.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

We were in Wellington, Palmerston North and Wanganui. It was BLOODY FREEZING!!!!!!! I was playing blindside wing though at state and club level I play fullback.

The accent is interesting - apparently the use of the plural 'yewz' as in 'yewz guys' was developed in NZ.
there's going to be a show on ABC on Thursday night 8:30 about the Aussie accent, which should be interesting (I'm a linguistics major ok? LOL). I've rarely heard anyone from overseas give a believable impersonation of our accent - they always sound like Cockneys or Kiwis. Anyone remember that simpsons episode?