Long-winded & Confusing Forum Setup - Idea!

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

Brenny

Long-winded & Confusing Forum Setup - Idea!

Post by Brenny »

With the advent of the new 'rules' so to speak and the newish AFL other foum, I'm starting to think, football wise, this forum is becoming too confusing with it's use and too confusing where to put things.

The fact you need to go back to the index to go anywhere else (yes you can go to the bottom of each forum and go to where you need, but that menu isn't ideal in its setup either and it's still quicker to go to the index) can be a real pain in the rear - especially if it's only to see if there are any new threads.

My suggestion:
To move the VFL Forum, AFL Other Forum and possibly the Draft Forum into a sub forum of the General Forum like the Player Forum currently is.

It would make navigating the forums easier and could possibly lead to threads being put in their correct place.

At the moment I feel there is currently too much jumping around just to go anywhere.

Anyways, that's my suggestion. Thanks.
Joel

Post by Joel »

I agree.
John Wren

Re: Long-winded & Confusing Forum Setup - Idea!

Post by John Wren »

Brenny wrote:With the advent of the new 'rules' so to speak and the newish AFL other foum, I'm starting to think, football wise, this forum is becoming too confusing with it's use and too confusing where to put things.

The fact you need to go back to the index to go anywhere else (yes you can go to the bottom of each forum and go to where you need, but that menu isn't ideal in its setup either and it's still quicker to go to the index) can be a real pain in the rear - especially if it's only to see if there are any new threads.

My suggestion:
To move the VFL Forum, AFL Other Forum and possibly the Draft Forum into a sub forum of the General Forum like the Player Forum currently is.

It would make navigating the forums easier and could possibly lead to threads being put in their correct place.

At the moment I feel there is currently too much jumping around just to go anywhere.

Anyways, that's my suggestion. Thanks.
i am ok with with where the gd and vfl forums are. i feel the other afl forum should be in the same section as the collingwood forums even though that contradicts the notion of it being only about collingwood. by being put in the section it currently is it feels relegated to the other sundry forums which for many are not high on their priority list.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

further to above post ... i'd like to suggest the the following:

1. "Collingwood Forums" be renamed "Football Forums"
2. Nick's Other AFL relocated to Football Forums section
3. Swap and Sell moved to Other Forums
Joel

Post by Joel »

Also agree with the above. Mods, any feedback?
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

Brenny, are you serious ?

1 or 2 more clicks to go to Nick's Other AFL. Or exactly the same to go to GD or elsewhere, if your Nick's opens at the index.

That's "too confusing" ?
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^user experience donny. it's a big industry these days.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Donny, surely if the users are saying it ain't working.... It ain't working.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Joel wrote:Donny, surely if the users are saying it ain't working.... It ain't working.
when most of people's time is spent in gd it is more sensible to have the round threads in gd and moved once the round is over. i don't think most will bother to venture away from gd.

this is a user design issue. you have to design things in a way people want to use it, footy forum or otherwise.
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

Donny wrote:Brenny, are you serious ?

1 or 2 more clicks to go to Nick's Other AFL. Or exactly the same to go to GD or elsewhere, if your Nick's opens at the index.

That's "too confusing" ?
Yes I do.

I accept it's the way it's setup and I follow the rules. But to be honest, there are things you could do to make the user experience better.

At the moment I think it's more convoluted than it needs to be.

The clicks thing you're right, it's not too much different, but why change what was not broken in the first place? I'm not talking about the current setup, but the setup previously.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Not to get all uppity, but I have to admit I would like to see a little more user consultation on matters like this. It could be as simple as a poll or open feedback thread.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Joel

Post by Joel »

I thinking a little thought about user experience goes a long way.

What is the best way to get people to use things? Make it easy for them to use.

Other forums are now a long way ahead in terms or usability. Unfortunately, over time people will gravitate to the forums that make it easier to use and places like Nick's will become less relevant.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Funnily enough, despite its conservative approach, I still find this bulletin board's design superior to many others in most respects. That's not to say it can't be improved, of course!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

One of the great things about Nick's is its simplicity. Those other forums overrely on Ajax and Javascipt and they take ages on my computer and half the time the WYSIWYG editor doesn't work properly anyway...

Nick's is simple. I like that.

No opinion on the forum layout
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

The actual layout of Nicks is fantastic and simple to use unlike other forums such as BigFooty for instance.

Of course there needs to be changes, but nothing too drastic in my view.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆