Am i right that there is a clear top 4 and then the rest?

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

E

Am i right that there is a clear top 4 and then the rest?

Post by E »

it seems like there are two elite midfield prospects and 2 elite KPPs. It also sounds like Melbourne will choose one of each. finally, I expect that GWS wants a mid and Saints want a KPP. However, since Petracca seems to be the consensus number 1, there is an issue.

If the draft order was. GWS, Melb, Melb, Saints, I am almost certain the draft order would be Petracca or Brayshaw to GWS, the remaining mid and either McCartin or Wright to Demons and the remaining KPP to Saints.
However, this is not the draft order and so I have a feeling that one of the 4 (a KPP) might slip to 5 and I think it might be McCartin if it doesn't change. I think this is why the Saints would love to trade down to 2 or 4 because they can still get their man AND they might get something more.

However, if the top 4 go the way one might expect, am I reading the tea leaves correct in that there really is no consensus number 5?
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Yes, though I doubt it will be this clear cut.

Since you note that though there is a perceived 'clear 4', they may not necessarily be selected as such due to club needs, how could there possibly be a consensus pick 5?

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it from here. Now that our trades are all but finalised, I have faith that the recruiting crew will find a star with pick 5, and that he will suit our needs. Laverde looks a chance you would think, but whoever it is, I'll be delighted
they can smell what we're cookin'
E

Post by E »

sorry, I wasn't clear in my OP. what I meant to ask was whether there is a feeling that draft picks 5-15 are all roughly the same value (albeit, a higher pick gets you the person you may have a personal preference for).
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

E wrote:sorry, I wasn't clear in my OP. what I meant to ask was whether there is a feeling that draft picks 5-15 are all roughly the same value (albeit, a higher pick gets you the person you may have a personal preference for).
That seems to be what people are saying. Who knows what the recruiters actually think though.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

What do you guys think of Paul Ahern? A friend reckons he's a gun midfielder, but I've got no idea. :?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Thanks Jackcass.
blakis

Post by blakis »

I really hope we land Pickett. Has really silky skills and a bit of dash off the mark which would be great through our midfield and forward line.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

RudeBoy wrote:What do you guys think of Paul Ahern? A friend reckons he's a gun midfielder, but I've got no idea. :?
Apparently the pies have taken a keen interest in Ahern.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

If the dogs end up with pick 4 or GWS trade Boyd then it's fair to say Wright won't slip to 5.

Bulldogs certainly wouldn't bypass him. GWS have shown they are prepared to draft multiple key forward options on to there list but might bypass him if they still had Boyd.

The tool Maher has speculated that Brayshaw could slip to 5.

I highly doubt it but it's a minor possibility should McCartin go pick 1.

If Petracca goes 1 then forget it as Melbourne will swoop on him.

Our best hope for one of the big 4 to slip would be if the top 4 picks remain with there current clubs IMO.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

I think it's too early to talk about there being a clear top 4. Perceptions usually change in the last few weeks once journos start to work out who the clubs actually like. Right now it's mostly external analysis.

In terms of talent the draft is actually seen as stronger and deeper than last year's.
Well done boys!
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

AN_Inkling wrote:I think it's too early to talk about there being a clear top 4. Perceptions usually change in the last few weeks once journos start to work out who the clubs actually like. Right now it's mostly external analysis.

In terms of talent the draft is actually seen as stronger and deeper than last year's.
The two preselections who probably would have gone in the top 6(Moore, Heeney) have confused things a bit, but I certainly remember recruiters at last years draft saying this one was going to be better. I think they always say that, but sometimes it's true. :wink:
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

AN_Inkling wrote:I think it's too early to talk about there being a clear top 4. Perceptions usually change in the last few weeks once journos start to work out who the clubs actually like. Right now it's mostly external analysis.

It is more even between 5 to 15, 16 to 25 so overall would be stronger and deeper but to me no one who's likely to be there at 5 comes with the same resume of Aish or Scharenberg of last season.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:

The two preselections who probably would have gone in the top 6(Moore, Heeney) have confused things a bit, but I certainly remember recruiters at last years draft saying this one was going to be better. I think they always say that, but sometimes it's true. :wink:
Moore would be the clear 5 or 6 if available so you have a good point.

Just as well he's ours at 9.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Crazy to think that we're getting two bites of the top 5 (or 6) cherry. I'm dreaming of two superstars like Pendles and Daisy or Buddy and Roughy. Even getting one right like Reiwoldt and Kosy would be pretty good.