Rookie 2: Welcome to Pies - Brenden Abbott (Claremont)

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Joel

Rookie 2: Welcome to Pies - Brenden Abbott (Claremont)

Post by Joel »

Played 15 senior matches for Claremont in the WAFL this year. Kicked 18 goals playing predominantly up forward, including a bag of five and a bag of four. Strong-bodied aggressive forward with a ferocious attack on the ball. He's capable of taking a strong mark and is a thumping left-foot kick. Would make a bullocking midfielder at AFL level but there are question marks over his fitness and discipline. However, he did apply himself well at Claremont this season.
Originally from Albany, WA. Abbott is a powerful, physical half-back flanker with explosive speed, strength and agility. He has a fantastic vertical leap and a hard-nosed approach to winning the contested ball. Abbott played just seven games for Claremont in the WAFL colts competition and one match for the WA U18s before heading home to Albany for personal reasons. Has the ability to play on taller opponents due to his impressive vertical leap. Ran a lightning quick 2.87s in the 20m sprint at the state combine, making him rare in this category.
Former club: Claremont
Height: 186cm
Weight: 92kg
Position: Defender

Video: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/brenden-abbott
Last edited by Joel on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Has the same name as the Postcard Bandit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenden_Abbott (surely a nickname in that?).
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Hope the personal reasons he headed home to Albany are in the past and he doesnt do a Beames on us.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Thanks for the really quick posts Joel. Really appreciated.

I think this guy is quite a hard nut if I recall my reading just the other day.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Lazza wrote:Hope the personal reasons he headed home to Albany are in the past and he doesnt do a Beames on us.
No chance he's going to Brisbane. :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Joel

Post by Joel »

No worries wpt, seems Dave prefers Bigfooty these days, so I thought we should get something on here in his absence.
watt price tully

The Collingwood Football Club website has a photo of Abbott under the spiel on Mantiet.

Hopefully rectified soon.
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

Nice gamble selection!! Looking at his footage, he is that mid sized goalkicker we can certainly do with. Like the hardness. Hopefully he settles well and is inspired by the opportunity. Heaps of upside!
I'm not the pheasant plucker I'm the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll be plucking pheasants til the pheasant plucker comes! "Try saying that with a mouthful of peanuts!!" Lou Richards
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Welcome aboard, seems we're obsessed with aggressive HF/mid/HB types with good skills.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Fatui Attata wrote:Nice gamble selection!! Looking at his footage, he is that mid sized goalkicker we can certainly do with. Like the hardness. Hopefully he settles well and is inspired by the opportunity. Heaps of upside!
It is a risky selection but well worth it I reckon. He needs to feel comfortable and settled and the club has a responsibility to do just that.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

jackcass wrote:Welcome aboard, seems we're obsessed with aggressive HF/mid/HB types with good skills.
Yeah, you are right Daz.

A tad surprised they didn't go for at least one tall ruckman type but then again, maybe the selections just weren't there OR they feel quite content with the developing talls we currently have.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He seems a beast. At 186 cms and 92 ks he's powerfully built. If we can get him super fit he could be a steal. Another tough mid sized player with excellent kicking skills. I like.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:Welcome aboard, seems we're obsessed with aggressive HF/mid/HB types with good skills.
Yeah, you are right Daz.

A tad surprised they didn't go for at least one tall ruckman type but then again, maybe the selections just weren't there OR they feel quite content with the developing talls we currently have.
We did...Mason Cox.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Joel wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Yeah, you are right Daz.

We did...Mason Cox.
Fair enough but I meant someone who doesn't have to learn our game from scratch.
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

His kicking under pressure looks the goods.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.