Good Books read!

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

KenH

Good Books read!

Post by KenH »

I am sure that we have a few avid readers in this group. I thought that I would let you know of a couple of great books that I have read since the start of this year.

The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanigan.

We are all completely beside ourselves. by Karen Joy Fowler.

Both books I will highly recommend loved both of them.
Cheers big ears
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I personally like matthew reilly. Australian author, writes in the style of an 80's action movie, non stop wow. me like.

Today i made myself sit down for a while and started reading a comic series, ""Injustice, Gods Amongst us"..

For those familiar with the superheroes in the DC universe (Superman, Batman etc) the basic premise is that stuff happens and Superman flips his shit and decides no more working within the system, from now on what he says goes. Worldwide.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I dunno who said that but I'm enjoying the read on several different levels.

People who disparage comics, kindly go become fornicated. I remember in yr 6 at school when it was quiet reading time and I went and grabbed 10 kids books and started plowing through them. The teacher ( who was also the principal) came over to me and said to me that i should be reading much higher level stuff. I just looked at him and said "yeah, but I enjoy reading these". So shove that up ya arse sideways ya old turd.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I just started reading Atomised by Michel Houellebecq. Looks really interesting, from what I've read so far.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

from what he or she've read so interests me too.
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

Barry Oakley - A Salute to the Great McCarthy
Brilliant satire on Melbourne and footy, which makes us seem (certainly in the 1960s, but the lessons are applicable today) incredibly and irrevocably provincial.

William Nagle - The Odd Angry Shot
SAS troops in the Vietnam War. Short, repetitive, and not as interesting as it could have been, seeing as it talks about people who actually chose ti go to war rather than conscripts. Joe Haldeman's sci-fi novel The Forever War is a much better effort (and Haldeman was also a Vietnam war veteran).

Richard Ford - The Sportswriter
A bloke in his late 30s is in a bit of a midlife crisis. Frank Bascombe is a pretty boring, overthinking, over talking kind of person, and I couldn't figure out why a lot of the characters interacted the way they did. I wasn't a fan of this, but I can see why others would adore it.

Yukio Mishima - The Temple of the Golden Pavillion
An ugly, stuttering apprentice Zen Buddhist monk struggles to overcome his obsession with the beauty of his temple. Amazing allegory of immediate post-war Japanese society, as well as a journey into the state of obsession.

Gore Vidal - Myra Breckenridge
Myra, a female transsexual causes mayhem in a small corner of Hollywood. Pioneering analysis of sleaze, pop-culture, gender. Not my kind of humour, but this is essential reading for anyone doing gender or media studies.
KenH

Post by KenH »

stui magpie wrote:I personally like matthew reilly. Australian author, writes in the style of an 80's action movie, non stop wow. me like.

Today i made myself sit down for a while and started reading a comic series, ""Injustice, Gods Amongst us"..

For those familiar with the superheroes in the DC universe (Superman, Batman etc) the basic premise is that stuff happens and Superman flips his shit and decides no more working within the system, from now on what he says goes. Worldwide.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I dunno who said that but I'm enjoying the read on several different levels.

People who disparage comics, kindly go become fornicated. I remember in yr 6 at school when it was quiet reading time and I went and grabbed 10 kids books and started plowing through them. The teacher ( who was also the principal) came over to me and said to me that i should be reading much higher level stuff. I just looked at him and said "yeah, but I enjoy reading these". So shove that up ya arse sideways ya old turd.

Yep good on ya, I have heaps of old comics still read them from time to time, good stuff!
Cheers big ears
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
KenH

Post by KenH »

I might have to have a look at his books!
Cheers big ears
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

He's the guy who wrote "he died with a felafel in his hand"

Lives in Bris vegas. I like his sense of humour
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^ that was a brilliant book that did not translate well into film.

i am reading "the phoenix rises" which charts the revival of the vfl and its transformation to the afl.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

If you are into real life crime, Paul B. Kidd's books are pretty good. I was given Amanda Howards Murder on the Mind for Christmas and it's a very good read.

I also like Brian Masters' "The Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer" and "Killing for Company" on Dennis Nielsen.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Not a book as such but just been reading some Banjo Patterson poems.

Looking at photos online of the Murray in flood at the moment and after 30 years living in Melbourne after being raised in the bush, I can appreciate his stuff all over again.

Next book will be Matthew Reilly's latest due out this month. Gotta download it onto the Kobo so I can sit by the pool or on 4 mile beach at Port and have a reason to sit back and do nothing but read.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I just finished - Man in a grey suit. The guy attacked by a shark at Bondi. Enjoyable read.

Anyone else read all of Les Nortons adventures by Rob Barrett? I think there was around 20 books! Great books!
Don't count the days, make the days count.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Recent reads that I really enjoyed:

Rules of Backyard Cricket by Jock Serong

Toy Maker by Liam Pieper

The Summer That Everything Melted by Tiffany McDaniel

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon.
kill for collingwood!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I'm part way through the second book in Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle series. For what is essentially autobiography (a six-part autobiography, no less!), it's absolutely engrossing and brilliantly written.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange