HOW GOOD IS THE BARMY ARMY ??

A forum for the use of Collingwood's Cheer Squad - and for anyone else who would like to comment on or contact the Cheer Squad.

Moderator: bbmods

JLC

HOW GOOD IS THE BARMY ARMY ??

Post by JLC »

I think they are brilliant. They come over really loud on the radio and the television. I think Australian sporting crowds have a lot to learn in terms of chanting etc.

Can you imagine if at an Aussie Rules game there was a similar Barmy Army.......that would be magnificant!!!!!!

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
cobood

Post by cobood »

The Barmy Army are great.... but I agree with you Tess.... we can do just as well ..... I think it all has to do where the mikes are... sometimes they turn them off... I wonder if the Barmy Army has been told to quiet down like we were!!

Sometimes we're good sometimes we're not so good.... thats life!!

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WERE there)

[This message has been edited by cobood (edited 29 December 2002).]
JLC

Post by JLC »

If the Barmy Army were not here, the crowd involvement would have been non existent at the cricket. They have definately added something to this summers cricket. It is also important to note that their support has come even though their team has been thrashed pretty much all through the summer. There were probably more Barmy Army supporters at the cricket today than Australians.

I don't think ive been that negative about how we chant. If i have been critical its only with the intention of trying to improve the cheersquad. I see the Barmy Army as the benchmark in terms of cheering and chanting for your team.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
joffa_the_man_in_gold

Post by joffa_the_man_in_gold »

The barmey army are fantastically brilliant and shame boring australian sport supporters..but i guess in the scheme of things aussies are pretty boring anyway, i love the way the skips hang around the barmey army and instead of joining in and learning something they just sit there watching with that stupid vacant smile on there snouts.The aussie cricket supporter im afraid is nothing compared to the gret barmey army

However not all is lost the magpie army is fast becoming barmey army #2 in the football world.

The long slow collingwood ''red flag chant will rock the foundations right out of the arse at colonial stadium next season
we just about had it down pat this season and then we had to pack up and play our remaining games at the'G'which is too big to get the collingwood red flag chant happening.

I havnt seen many replays from this season but i glanced at one a couple of weeks ago and the red flag chant was spine tingling
i have the replay of the brisbane game tess and will watch it one night this week to see if it was as good as you say.

colonial stadium is fast getting a nice vicky park feel to it espesh at the coventry end of the ground and i believe thats why the collingwood fed flag chant will be super mongous next season.
but the poms barmey army is something to see and believe i reckon they're fantastic.
JLC

Post by JLC »

I agree Joffa the Red Flag Collingwood chant is fantastic. Next year people will be more familiar with it and it will happen naturally and it sounds brilliant on tv at Colonial Image

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
joffa_the_man_in_gold

I reckon next season people will come to colonial just to be a part of the red flag chant..well ok sometimes i get excited Image
foxy

Post by foxy »

haha joffa! that's so true! the way aussie sports fans just sit there with vacant faces, watching on and having a weak laugh about the barmy army. and the best we can come up with is farkin 'aussie aussie aussie' and that MORONIC 'bob!!' shit they do.

sad thing is, sometimes when i'm chanting in the cheer squad i look in the surrounding bays and i see a lot of people (including collingwood supporters) just sitting there staring at us like we're a bloody zoo exhibition. i dunno, i reckon a lot of aussie sports fans are just too shy to stand up and sing or chant, that is unless they've downed 10 beers. poor bastards don't know what they're missing. there's few better feelings than chanting crazily, surrounded by hundreds of other mad collingwood fans. come to the cricketers or the after-match 'winner's circle' if you wanna experience that.
creedymagpie

Post by creedymagpie »

Completly agree with johnny, jeff and foxy the way the noise is going on at the cricket you would swear that england were the home team! and yes tess us collingwood supporters are loud, Very loud! but the barmy army are going at it hammer and tong all day, and that is the way we have to go as supporters. One weekend watch an english premier league match (preferably a tottenham game) and listen to the way they chant, and thier grounds can only hold 35 thousand just imagine what it would sound like if we got to thier standards, the roof would be vibrating on the MCG. We make alot of noise but not enough.

cpc
joffa_the_man_in_gold

I forgot about our winners circle that would give the barmey army a run for its money..infact im pretty sure we ( the collingwood supporter ) are the only club supporters who have a winners circle after a victory, could some one correct me if im wrong please !

That winners circle at football park after that historic final win was awesome.

But back to the barmey army theyre pretty good hey ?

Thank you foxy very well said.

[This message has been edited by joffa_the_man_in_gold (edited 29 December 2002).]
joffa_the_man_in_gold

and christian i disagree tottenham fans are **** heads if you want real footy crowd action pop down to st james park and watch them mighty toon boys !! OH YEAH BABY.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Nah nah head down to Anfield as Liverpool have the most passionate supporters going around Image

However the soccer chanting at games is none stop and it is brilliant!!!!!

I totally agree Foxy people stare and u feel like u r meant to be quiet like its a library or something. Youd think they had never witnessed cheering at a game.....lol lol

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
joffa_the_man_in_gold

I think we should be careful and not upset too many people for we must remember its the era of 'theatre goers' and we must not upset the tomato sandwhich eaters..hahah love it.

JLC good topic mate keep it up your working very well lately.
JLC

Post by JLC »

The best crowd ive seen was Collingwood v Adelaide in the Preliminary final. The Collingwood chant started from all over the ground. I really think that helped the players that day as they knew every Collingwood supporter was behind them Image It was way better than Grand Final day as the die hards were all at Preliminary and it was easier to sit together. Grand Final day is a joke crowd wise Image

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Kristin5

Post by Kristin5 »

At the Boxing Day test and the One-dayer, I realised just how "catchy" the ENG-A-LAND, ENG-A-LAND, ENG-A-LAND chant is (and I remember it from watching soccer matches too). Surely our cheer squad could do the same chant but use COLL-ING-WOOD, COLL-ING-WOOD, COLL-ING-WOOD instead???

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well said everybody - Collingwood Cheersquad The Barmey Army of the Afl.