Return to recruiting zones?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Return to recruiting zones?

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

On first blush, I like...

AFL may consider reintroducing recruiting zones for all 18 clubs
Callum Twomey May 22, 2015 7:03 AM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-22/a ... l-18-clubs
THE ERA of recruiting zones could be revisited under a plan being pushed by club officials that would see every club have priority access to its own academy...
dillo_09

Post by dillo_09 »

No. It's what destroyed our domination back in the day after their introduction
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Coz the current system is working so well for us?

I see it as an excellent opportunity to exploit our wealth.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Will only support this if we get first pick of the zones
Doubt it will happen and expect us to be as screwed as we were last zoning
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
leonmagic

Post by leonmagic »

i'm sure the afl will find a way to have our 'zone' as north queensland or something similar
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

If I have to choose one, I picki'm sure the afl will find a way to have our 'zone' as north queensland.
selkevh

Post by selkevh »

Not knowing Melbourne ... what TAC U18 Club would be in Collingwood's Zone?
A strong man stands up for himself ... a stronger man stands up for others.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Pass.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Perhaps I need to read more about this, but at first glance the idea sounds terrible. Zoning just led to some clubs having massive privileges over others, a situation that the draft more or less put an end to.

I get that this is more about 'academies' and development of young players, so not zoning per se; but I also suspect that it's about increasing the AFL's power over the smaller Aussie Rules clubs and competitions.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

selkevh wrote:Not knowing Melbourne ... what TAC U18 Club would be in Collingwood's Zone?
Our VFL development player association is with Murray Bushranges which is NE Victoria.

Not a fan of returning to zones. We saw how Hawthorn manipulated that scheme, and how powerful Carlton got from it back in the 70s.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Yeah lets return to the "good old days" of Carlton, Richmond, North and Hawthorn raffling every premiership between themselves for 20 years.

All the premierships won under that system should be rescinded imo. One of the most blatantly compromised and unfair recruiting systems ever devised.

It stuffed every club aside from the aforementioned who built dynasty's at everyone else's expense through no great effort of their own.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

jackcass wrote:
selkevh wrote:Not knowing Melbourne ... what TAC U18 Club would be in Collingwood's Zone?
Our VFL development player association is with Murray Bushranges which is NE Victoria.

Not a fan of returning to zones. We saw how Hawthorn manipulated that scheme, and how powerful Carlton got from it back in the 70s.
Essendon would be Huge Winners as they will have the Calder Cannons and they always have a Few Top 30 Prospect nearly every year
I am Da Man
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

It's the only "fair" way for the interstate clubs to keep their academies and I suspect that's why it's being pushed by some clubs.

If it is similar to the other academies it's not going to lead to the problems we've seen in the past. Clubs will get first choice of a player in their zone but would still have to give up near fair value for them (under the new rules announced this week).
Well done boys!
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Northern Knights possibly.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man