Trading Witts

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Trading Witts

Post by Presti35 »

Would we be stupid to do this?

It is debatable which of Witts and Grundy should be out #1 Ruck.

But considering that Grundy is doing well and Moore will be coming up, are we in a position to move big Wittsy to his homestate in NSW?

There is talk about the Pies trying to lure Treloar. And there is also talk about Hannebery wanting a return to Vic.

Now sure, these players would require more than a young ruckman to get a deal done, but would it be a good start?

The Swans are probably in more of a need for a ruck than GWS are right now, but does Hannebury really want to come to Vic and would he want to come to Collingwood?

Would the Swans go for Witts and Collingwoods first & third pick? (In return for Hannebery and say their 4th or 5th pick).

(In a sidenote; these are the rucks who are going to be free agents come years end: Luenberger, Bellchambers, Sandilands, Kruezer, Jamar).
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Would have to get a Mature Age Ruckman 1st.

IF Pies traded Grundy they would Regret it. As I think Grundy can be a Dominate Ruckman/Tall
I am Da Man
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Remember what happened to Josh Fraser? That'd be what we do to Grundy by getting rid of Witts.

Keep them both, if they both make it and one is head and shoulders above the other then trade at maximum value if the other doesn't want to sit in the twos. One of the worst things that happened to Fraser was when Steve McKee quit (due to rule changes that made him obsolete) and Fraser was left to ruck pretty much alone until Jolly came in and took his place.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Wokko wrote:Remember what happened to Josh Fraser? That'd be what we do to Grundy by getting rid of Witts.
Disagree. Grundy is a different cat to Fraser who never really enjoyed the contact part of rucking.

IF Witts could be used to nab a gun (Shiel, Treloar, MCCarthy) then I would definitely do it. It's easy enough to get a mature aged, back-up ruckman, and Cox looks like he could be ready to go by 2017 so if the price is right, I say go for it.

Of course, if a gun is not on the table then I would be very happy to keep Witts because I believe he will be a very good player.
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

My preference is to keep Witts, I believe he will develop into a dominant ruckman. Him and Grundy are different styles and I don't see why we can't play both in the same team. I'd even be happy to try putting both in the centre bounce a few times like Geelong with Stanley and Blicavs. Imagine the opposition rover looking at Grundy charging forward to take the Witts tap out, talk about your brown pants moment.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

stui magpie wrote:My preference is to keep Witts, I believe he will develop into a dominant ruckman. Him and Grundy are different styles and I don't see why we can't play both in the same team. I'd even be happy to try putting both in the centre bounce a few times like Geelong with Stanley and Blicavs. Imagine the opposition rover looking at Grundy charging forward to take the Witts tap out, talk about your brown pants moment.
Could do that in the Future but not sure IF Grundy has the Engine at the Moment to do it for long enough
I am Da Man
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I've gone from being completely against it to not discounting it for the right player.

Shiel, Treloar or McCarthy would be that player.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

I'm completely against it. The Witts/Grundy combination rotating between the ruck and the forward line is going to be a cornerstone of our structure going forward. It takes rucks and KPP five years to develop and Witts isn't even halfway through his fourth year yet. I say keep him and persist with playing him in the seniors. He could be anything and as we've seen when he strings a run of senior games together he usually adjusts to playing at that level.I wouldn't want to trade him for a midfielder.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Its stupid what happens when Grundy gets injured?
Does anyone think White is a viable option as first ruck?
Does anyone think Gault is a viable option as first ruck?
Moore is yet to play a senior game and is injured and is being developed as a KPP

How about getting a quality mature ruckman to replace Witts probably would cost our first round pick.

So get rid of Witts lose our first round pick and than we can trade what?

Remember rucks are far rarer than mids
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

I don't know why the discussion. Dim isn't going anywhere. Big blokes don't grow on trees.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Culprit wrote:I don't know why the discussion. Dim isn't going anywhere. Big blokes don't grow on trees.

Hopefully this

Whole discussion is madness.............
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Oh I missed the extra t! Thought it might be a congrats to our recruiting staff.

Not happening, good honest tall, with more maturing to do. Crazy talk.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

For years I've watched our solo ruck toil against one ruck, and with envy, sometimes against two. How good would it be if we had two top-line rucks, I would think to myself. Well that day is almost upon us.... and you want to trade Witts???? Are you kidding?

I know he looks like value to lure a midfielder to the club but in 2-3 years when we are bashing teams up in the middle, getting first bite of the pill and dominating forward entries, we will reap the benefits of a patient build.

Rucks don't grow on trees. You either develop them or pay overs for one. I'd rather spend that money on a key forward.
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

Yeah, let's put 10 years of development into a kid then trade him for a 3rd round pick, genius that. :lol: