How about a software upgrade

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

How about a software upgrade

Post by Wokko »

This Bulletin Board is very Web 1.0, almost a 90s dial up feel to it. Any chance of an upgrade to something with proper notifications, like/dislike features, embedding video etc.
Joel

Post by Joel »

That's something Mike would have to answer I think.

Mobile functionality would be nice too.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

My initial thought is that any upgrade would come at a cost. The site is free, Mike bears the cost and accepts donations to help out. He could pull the pin at any time if the cost or time became an issue.

Unless someone is offering to purchase the software or donate the money to pay for the upgrade or Mike suddenly decides he has some coin to burn it ain't going to happen.

How it works at the moment works for me.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

phpBB is now up to Version 3.1 and is free as far as I know. Anyway, just a suggestion and the antiquated look and feel of Nick's may keep some of the younger, social media savvy types away (no likes or up/down voting, little multimedia content, etc).

Pretty sure phpBB has extensive add ons and extension library too.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Re: How about a software upgrade

Post by Dave The Man »

Wokko wrote:This Bulletin Board is very Web 1.0, almost a 90s dial up feel to it. Any chance of an upgrade to something with proper notifications, like/dislike features, embedding video etc.
I been on here for about a Decade and it has not Changed since then.

Makes it very hard to Read on a Smartphone
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Wokko wrote:phpBB is now up to Version 3.1 and is free as far as I know. Anyway, just a suggestion and the antiquated look and feel of Nick's may keep some of the younger, social media savvy types away (no likes or up/down voting, little multimedia content, etc).

Pretty sure phpBB has extensive add ons and extension library too.
Free and Open Source

https://www.phpbb.com
I am Da Man
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: How about a software upgrade

Post by Jezza »

Dave The Man wrote:
Wokko wrote:This Bulletin Board is very Web 1.0, almost a 90s dial up feel to it. Any chance of an upgrade to something with proper notifications, like/dislike features, embedding video etc.
I been on here for about a Decade and it has not Changed since then.

Makes it very hard to Read on a Smartphone
Actually I find it easy to read Nicks on a smartphone but I struggle to post on my phone though but I guess that applies to any forum regardless of how old the software is.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆