Can the swear filter be turned down or off?

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Can the swear filter be turned down or off?

Post by stui magpie »

Seriously it's embarrassing some of the ridiculous things it does to replace words with criticisms of the poster.

You type in the word N1gger and you get [snip]

P00fter becomes (I'm a dinosaur)

Fagg0t becomes $

Coon used to become (I am racist) but at least that's been fixed.

W0g becomes [snip].

What kind of bullshit is this where adults can't even use a word in an appropriate context without it being censored with added ridicule? Who programs this thing?

Why can't adults be able to simply use words and be judged on the context in which they're used? These words are all words you could find printed in a newspaper if used in appropriate context but here we have to go to the trouble of using a variation to evade the stupid childish censorship.

If someone wants to refer to gays in a derogatory way, why not let them do it and be judged for it?

Is anyone really offended by the word phuk these days? but if you spell it properly it comes out ****.

Other than maybe the C word which comes out as %$^%$, can't we just ffs quit the crap?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

So, if I want to say that Davy Crockett had a 'coon skin hat, how does it appear?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^There you go, then. It appears we are still racoonist on Nick's.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, Coon got fixed after some complaints about the filter creating (I am racist) cheese.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

2nd that. Let us Swear without Censorship
I am Da Man
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

stui magpie wrote:Yeah, Coon got fixed after some complaints about the filter creating (I am racist) cheese.
I do love me some of that racist cheese.

%$^%$ has become a bit of a pesky one for swear filters, I know on one forum when I was typing up things about the football side it would really make the team name look stupid when it filtered it.

Sometimes I can get the need for a swear filter, but sometimes there are words that probably shouldn't be there.
luvdids

Re: Can the swear filter be turned down or off?

Post by luvdids »

stui magpie wrote: P00fter becomes (I'm a dinosaur)
Ohhhh, I wondered what you'd typed in the VPT that became "I'm a dinosaur". I didn't think you were actually admitting to being an old fossil! lol.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

See the 2nd Bullet of The Rules.

We have always attempted to maintain Nick's in a state such that it would not be banned by Education departments.

There's plenty of places on the Interwebs where you can swear your head off - try being a little more imaginative here.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

But my point is that these are words that can be used in correct context without being offensive. If I say in a thread that someone asked who the p00fter was, I'm not being derogatory or offensive, and by doing what I've just done to evade the filter the intent of what I meant to say is clear rather than cryptic and able to have other things assumed or insinuated.

Even N1gger, when I was posting about the movie Django in the VPT it would not be out of place to describe the gratuitous use of that word.

I can live with the F and C words being censored as swear words but the others?
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Serious question.

So f'n gets your post deleted, as in f'n kidding me.

But f*ck is acceptable.
Go Pies!