#4 Brayden Maynard

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Joel

#4 Brayden Maynard

Post by Joel »

Pick No. 30 is in the bank! We've drafted Sandringham's Brayden Maynard. He'll wear No. 37. Welcome, Brayden! #InHineWeTrust
Left-footed medium defender/midfielder with powerful kick. Has excellent evasive skills and rarely beaten one-on-one. Played three matches for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 15 touches, five tackles and three clearances in three appearances. Recorded 26/30 in the kicking test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-23/m ... en-maynard

IF NOT for a few more games from his dad, Brayden Maynard might have been Adelaide's first father-son draftee.

Peter Maynard played eight games for Melbourne in the 1980s before shifting to Glenelg in South Australia, where he played 196 games and was inducted as a Hall of Famer. Had he played four more, his son would have been eligible to join the Crows.

Adelaide might still draft Maynard after an impressive 2014 season, but won't get priority access to him ahead of their rivals.

After 13 games for the Sandringham Dragons last season, Maynard stepped up his tilt at the draft this year with 17 games for the club and three as part of Vic Metro's NAB AFL Under-18 squad.

Maynard's football bloodlines extend further than his dad, with his grandfather, Graham Campbell, a former coach and player at Fitzroy.

Why they should pick him

A left-footer who has a powerful and precise kick, Maynard spent most of his season as a rebounding half-back. It was there that he proved himself a big-bodied brute who can stop his opponent while giving important drive.

He likes to tackle (he averaged six a game through the season) and is ultra-competitive: he attacks the ball and contest with ferocity, and isn't afraid of body contact. He puts everything on the line, and it's easy to see how supporters will warm to him.

Late in the season that toughness was on display as a midfielder, having shifted up the ground for the Dragons in the absence of injured skipper Angus Brayshaw.

Maynard (186cm, 88kg) played the role perfectly, using his speed (he's tested 2.98 seconds over 20 metres), poise and foot skills to make a difference with the ball, and his contested ball-winning ability to rip it out of packs.

In the last two finals for the Dragons he averaged 25 disposals and 11 handball receives, showing a step up in his ability to cover the ground. Across the season for the Dragons he averaged 22 disposals.

The Query

Maynard's running capacity is probably the main concern for him, and a reason he wasn't pushed into the midfield until later in the season.

At the national combine he ran a 13.3 beep test, and 11:13 for the three-kilometre time trial. If he can lift those numbers up a few notches he'll be able to compete for longer and longer.

Plays like

Positioned off half-back and with a courageous and combative attitude, Maynard has a similar style to first-year North Melbourne defender Luke McDonald.

He's probably more outward in his approach than McDonald but both can move into the midfield and float forward to use their penetrating left side.

Bottom line

Maynard has a clear point of difference in the way he impacts a game. He's a tough, physical player who loves to throw his body around and anyone in the way. Competitive and with an aggressive streak, it means he's permanently involved.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWn1tkCiQ0
Last edited by Joel on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bob Sugar

Re: Welcome to Collingwood Brayden Maynard

Post by Bob Sugar »

Joel wrote:Pick No. 30 is in the bank! We've drafted Sandringham's Brayden Maynard. He'll wear No. 37. Welcome, Brayden! #InHineWeTrust
Details needed, is he the son of the old crows player?
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Stoked!
kill for collingwood!
Joel

Post by Joel »

Defender wrote:
Joel wrote:Pick No. 30 is in the bank! We've drafted Sandringham's Brayden Maynard. He'll wear No. 37. Welcome, Brayden! #InHineWeTrust
I believe so.
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

Looks a likely type. Never took much notice of him tho.
The window is open my friend!
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Joel wrote:^
His dad was a medium defender iirc, was a ranga.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Heath Shaw replacement?
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

Wokko wrote:Heath Shaw replacement?

Harry O replacement?
The window is open my friend!
roar

Post by roar »

Elite kick!
kill for collingwood!
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Defender wrote:His dad was a medium defender iirc, was a ranga.
^I think that was Rodney Maynard. Different bloke to this kids old man.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Joel wrote:
Defender wrote:
I believe so.
Not.Dad plyed 196 games for Glenelg who is aligned with Crows. 200 games for WAFL or SANFL clubs gets them a free hit at their kids. Ashley McIntosh was eligible for Eagles after his Dad spent a day sitting on the bench years for some Perth side after he retired to qualify his son.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Like the look of this kid.
Well done boys!
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

He was one of the main ones I wanted at pick 30.

Really happy.

If only we had of taken Cavka at 48 and McKenzie at 75 I'd be having a smoke right now and I don't smoke.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

I love this guys attitude! Giving senior team mates a run for their money and loves sticking up for team mates. Also really like the way he spoke about his competitive streak. We need young upstarts like this fella.
Great choice Dekka!!
I'm not the pheasant plucker I'm the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll be plucking pheasants til the pheasant plucker comes! "Try saying that with a mouthful of peanuts!!" Lou Richards
roar

Post by roar »

Feel the same, swoop.

Still, really happy about Maynard and I do like De Goey, so I'll be having a smoke anyway.
kill for collingwood!