Our veteran quandary

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Our veteran quandary

Post by inxs88 »

I guess we all hope these guys can keep doing a Benjamin Button but father time catches up with them all. As they all come out of contract at season's end, the search both internal and external is surely on to identify talent that can fill some of their impending abilities on departure. Pendles is generational but hopefully Nick Daicos can go some way to filling the gap as the years go on.

But there are some talented free agents available for 2024 that Graham Wright should consider:

* Tom Doedee: overlooked for the captaincy, this Geelong/Victorian junior has deferred all contract discussions with the Crows. Plays taller than his 187cm and would be a great replacement for Howe. No trade required!
* Darcy Parish: rumoured to be of some interest to both the Pies and Hawks during October 2022 trade season, he is a top player entering his prime years. More accumulator than lethal by foot, he still holds appeal.
* Ben McKay: Personally my number one wish-list target and we only have to remember the game last year where he killed the Pies and Mihocek with his intercept marking and elite closing speed. Get him!
* Harry Himmelberg: ultra adaptable KPP who would be another handy acquisition via free-agency. The salary cap squeeze at GWS may mean another player tips out.
* Jade Gresham: fleet of foot clever mid/forward has been crueled by injuries and is the type of player that shall either embrace Ross Lyon or be repelled. Luke Ball Part 2? :)

Others worth considering:
* Bailey Williams
* Dylan Moore
* Mason Redman
* Riley Bonner
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

I seem to recall when Pendles “negotiated” his 2 year contract extension there was some criticism - doubt anyone thinks that now, looks like he could go around again next year barring injury. Same for Steele.
But good to look at some options
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:^
Their durability has been exceptional.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:I seem to recall when Pendles “negotiated” his 2 year contract extension there was some criticism - doubt anyone thinks that now, looks like he could go around again next year barring injury. Same for Steele

But good to look at some options
Yeah I remember that! I wanted him to play for 2 more years but I might have been conservative. He could play at least 3 more years.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Both Sidey and Pendles have never relied on pace and both have such high footy IQ that this compensates
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I agree that the planning for the finish of the great careers of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe should include only looking for those available free agents that are guaranteed game changers i.e. Elite players who are legitimate A graders. We don't need to waste recruitment of any players who are at best depth players or recruiting players who only play in positions where we already have good depth.
When considering the potential replacements for club legends such as Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe I like to consider young players already on our list that could grow over the next couple of years to fill these large shoes.
e.g. Pendlebury = Josh Daicos.
Sidebottom = Edward Allen or Finlay MacRae.
Howe = Nathan Murphy
The trouble with the retirement of such legends is that it is almost impossible to replace their skill, experience and leadership immediately so the grooming of their replacements is crucial to the sustainability of the team as a contender.
The freeing up of salary cap is probably not that great either since I think these legends have already taken a reduced payment in their twilight years to help the club stay competitive and extend the length of their final contracts. However obviously they would have been paid above the average salary so there will be some opportunity to have some salary cap space available to snare a quality free agent to help cover their departure with the injection of skill and leadership.
In the meantime, now is the time for Collingwood to strike for premiership glory whilst these legends are still at their elite best.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Boot wrote: In the meantime, now is the time for Collingwood to strike for premiership glory whilst these legends are still at their elite best.
Yup. Wish it was a walk in the park to achieve premiership glory
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I think there retirements will be staggered as well as getting Mitchell eases the gulf some what
Pendles looks likely to go around in 2024 as support for new skipper. He’s still so smart on the field hard to see him falling off so much this year he couldn’t still be a best 22 player
Howe still commands a place but a close eye will be kept on him for injuries (calf issues etc) it’s a long season so jury is out on him at this stage
Sidey most likely to go end of 2023. He got a 1 year deal and has publicly commented already he’s happy to hand over his place if a younger player is demanding selection
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We already have everything covered:
Nick Daicos is the heir apparent to Pendles in the midfield.
Murphy to take over from Howe in defence.
Josh Daicos to fill Sidey's 'everywhere man' role.
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Hopefully we can snare a top end Free Agent who can influence matches
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Yeah, Pendles one more season after this one, and finish in a blaze of glory with another premiership medal.,we hope. Steel and Howe will both retire at end of this season, id say, and what marvellous servants to the Club they have been, have given their all, week after week. A couple of others may call it a day too, the team will change a fair bit, but we do have the recruits to replace them.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Think Steele can go another year
Howe is looking iffy
Pendles looks capable of another year

However you dont want them going at the same time or at the same time as the next group
Remember Elliot is getting to the end and his body has let him down before
Addams style of play is high impact
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

neil wrote: However you dont want them going at the same time or at the same time as the next group
Remember Elliot is getting to the end and his body has let him down before
Addams style of play is high impact
Yeah, I’m old enough to remember Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell all leaving simultaneously. We struggled for a while after those departures.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

I think if Macrae & Reef can be pushing to be in Collingwood’s best 23 by seasons end then the transition will be a lot smoother.
Maybe even Ed Allen fingers crossed.
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right