Where do we need to improve to win in September?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Where do we need to improve to win in September?

Post by RudeBoy »

Obviously, our team should be much better with the return of Pendles, JDG, Checkers and (hopefully/possibly) Mitchell, McStay and Elliott. I would probably add 'Smokin' Joe Richards to that list as well, based on the quality of his handful of appearances before getting injured. On paper these players should make us a 20% better team. However, there are also some areas where we need to improve, if we are to challenge and match it with the likes of the Swans.

In defence.

Moore has been rather disappointing this season. Of course he is judged against his own previous high benchmarks. Clearly he misses the role played by Murphy, but he has to somehow get his mojo back. He should be the all-Australian CHB, but is not currently playing like one.

While Dean has been serviceable and has a promising future with us, to my eye he is a tad slow. I much prefer Frampton in defence, alongside Howe. Quaynor has been a little down on his previous form, but I'm sure it's just a temporary slump. He should be right when we need him.

There seems to be one place available for Noble or Markov as a running half back. I'm not really sure who is our better option. Markov is a better size, but on his day Noble offers more attacking method in his game. Sooner, rather than later, we need to make a decision and try to stick with it.

Defensive units thrive on continuity and reliability. If possible, we should lock in our preferred defensive line-up asap and let it gel and solidify over the next couple of months.

Up forward.

We should get the opportunity immediately after the bye to see how Krueger and Checkers work together as our tall targets. The important thing will be ensuring Krueger does not injure any of our players! Ideally, McStay could join them as well. Having 3 powerfully built mobile talls, surrounded by Schultz, Hill and (hopefully) Elliott, should make us significantly more potent near goals than we have been.

The newbies

From our crop of new and relatively new players, Harrison, Krueger (new in terms of games played) and Richards should be under consideration for spots in our best 23. However, Macrae, Sullivan, Dean, and McInnes, while all decent depth players, would not be selected in my best 23.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

IF McStay comes in with Krueger and Checkers back, anything is possible, if we finish top four.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

More games into McInnes before September. I think he could be very special and would hate to lose him or miss his growing potential and impact.
Buon Giorno
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Yeah, the conclusions from the last few weeks are that McInnes will make it, Richards has it, Krueger is likely, and Sullivan is good depth. This has been a painful but productive six weeks.
SLORT
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by SLORT »

I agree with most of your points RB. I'm just hoping that we fully commit to Frampton as our full back, a la Jordan Roughead. Continuing to push him forward or ruck has I think backfired on the great work he's done this year in his development as a defender.

I also think a lot of our success this year come finals will depend on Darcy Cameron.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by piffdog »

Meredith1965 wrote:Yeah, the conclusions from the last few weeks are that McInnes will make it, Richards has it, Krueger is likely, and Sullivan is good depth. This has been a painful but productive six weeks.
Dont forget Harrison...

Also agree witht the point that Cameron is absolutely critical. Has been huge for us. Wonder if they try and give him a spell once Cox gets back and through a few games??

I actually think we have so much room for improvement all over the park. Apart from Nick, I dont think we have any real All Australian candidates at this time (we had several locks by this time last year). Cameron, Hosko, Lipinski are playing better than last year IMO, but lots are not or havent even been playing.

A nice problem to have will be how we bring injured players back, while not losing whatever it is we have called upon to maintain the success over the last 4-6 weeks. We arent instantly going to be better if we swap the magnets - still need those coming back to be integrated (I'm sure they will be...).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

- The inclusion of key players who have been out injured

- Improve our goal kicking accuracy

- Keep Frampton in defence

- Develop McCreery into a tagger

Everything else is fine.
- Side By Side -
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I fear that there is too much reliance on the brilliance of Nick Daicos at present so I'm hoping that Jordan Degoey will be able to return to the team and build his game to be back to his best in the last part of the season to take some of the pressure off Daicos.
The return of Pendlebury and Mihocek should help and hopefully the return of Elliot and Mitchell to full fitness and form can help elevate the team performance to be back to 2023 levels again.
I think Nick Daicos and Jack Crisp have really carried the team for most of the past 6 weeks so they need to be getting some more support from the likes of Pendlebury and Degoey later this season.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Firstly we can improve by playing as close to our best team as possible.
Need Cameron, and either Cox/Krueger taking big marks on the forward line.
Practice our field and kicking goal kicking consistently. Get them right.
Work on sticking tackles and playing smart, disciplined, ferocious football.
The coaches ideally need to introduce new tactics and strategies in the finals.
Play chaotic and manic football occasionally and frustrate opponents plans.
Never fear taking risks if the situation of the game requires this element.
Always give it all and embrace white line fever within the rules. Aim to win.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Newelly
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Where do we need to improve to win in September?

Post by Newelly »

RudeBoy wrote:~
I think Josh Eyre can be solid replacement for Murphy. The big question is whether he can get match fit and worked into the backline before finals.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Need Big Cox back
BEAMER09
Been liked: 8 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

Get the troops back fit and healthy.

If we make Top 4 - Beware
and
If we make Top 8 - Beware
COLLINGW09D
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

^
It will be hard to win it from 9th that's for sure. :wink:
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Of course trying to at least maintaining to be injury free and remaining fit and healthy.
But for me its clearence work and stoppages we just have to improve in this area a heap.
For me to keep it tight is better as soon as the ball gets out then we are gone.
Case of winning the ball at the coal face is key.
Win the more importantly centre clearences 9 out fo 10 times and we are there.
Also must improve down back seams like we are sadly missing that sling shot of the back line we had so much of in 2023 and even scored alot of goals this way.
Over rall we need to improve in most areas to be even thinking about making it to even week 3 in september.
Not confident on 2024 much prefered the way we played in 2023.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Season is far too long.
only 23 players can play GF day... all those players from our list thats helped us are potentially going to miss out..

its a double edged sword.. if the season wasnt so long then our stars would have less time to return... but also less possibilities to get an injury.

Also look at Brisbane.... now playing decent footy like the first half of the season didnt even happen...its almost 2 seasons in 1 now.