#2 - 1990

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

#2 - 1990

Post by Harrysz »

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

1990 was special. I too had lived through the heartbreak of losing Grand Finals in the 70's and 80's so on the day I was waiting for the Essendon comeback.

It was only with a couple of minutes to go when Matthews made his way from the coaches box to ground level that I allowed myself to realise, we had actually won it. Such a feeling of elation but mostly relief.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Like many Collingwood fans that 1990 Grand Final was the first Collingwood premiership I saw and the relief and joy of finally winning a flay after the heartache's of 1960, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1981. It wasn't until Leigh Matthews made a triumphant march from the coaches box to enter the ground that I could relax and enjoy the moment. I remember that there were many people crying with joy to finally see Collingwood win a Grand Final and I might have got a bit overcome with the emotion of the moment myself.
At the time I thought that having broken the Collywobble curse that more frequent premierships would be just around the corner, but another 20 years of frustration was required before we would get there again.
It was a great year and the team partied for at least 6 months after that win to fail to make the finals in 1991 which was a pity but probably understandable for such a terrific effort to finally get the job done.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

The only time I have cried uncontrollably at the footy, albeit happy tears
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Yes - Leigh walking down and shaking his fists in the air was an iconic moment.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Re: #2 - 1990

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Greatest day in the history of the universe.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

I like to watch most footy quietly (except for me yelling at the TV) by myself.

I remember just having a self satisfied, relieved feeling as the game wore on.

The Daicos goals, Starcevich playing a game breaking quarter of footy before being laid out by Daniher, Rowdy coming back on the ground and Shaw being everywhere is what I remember most.
I think therefore I think - I think
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Yes relief was the biggest factor for all of us old timers - I was with my sister who had at least been alive for our last flag - I was born 1954.
When that final siren blew we just looked at each other and smiled.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

In those days, the old rule about too many men on the ground meant that if you were caught out, your score was reduced to zero and the game continued. I recall vividly being fearful, even inside the last five minutes, that Collingwood would contrive to put 19 men on the ground and lose by 6 goals. I was screaming "Watch the bench, watch the bench" from the old Southern Stand for most of the last quarter.

You had to be following them in 64, 66, 70, 77, 79 and 81 to understand that sort of fear of the impossible.
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Pies4shaw, I did follow them in 64, 66, 70, 77, 79 and 81. So that's why I know exactly what you're saying. It was like a miracle when we won the flag in 1990 and that's why, when I started this project 1990 was going to be #1. But anyway.....................................................
VicParkTragic
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by VicParkTragic »

Like many others here I’m old enough to have sat through many grand final losses prior to 1990. I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the game and sat on the top deck of the Ponsford Stand With lots of other pies supporters. It was a gloriously sunny day a great day for football. I went to the game with a good mate of mine who is no longer with us and that makes it even more special. Like many others have mentioned supporters were very cautious about calling the win before the end of the game. At one point early in the last quarter prior to Dougie Barwick and Monkhurst kicking their goals one of the pies supporters sitting behind us yelled out “we’ve won this” at which point people turned around to him and told him to STFU!!!! That’s how edgy everyone was. It wasn’t until the Monkhurst goal that I knew we’d won it. The walk back to victoria Park was memorable as was the celebrations at the ground that night although my recollection of the celebrations are a bit hazy after about 8 pm due to completely overdoing the drinks!
Needless to say it was a great day for the Collingwood football club and it supporters.
Living in Geelong, barracking for the 'pies!
duggieboy
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

Harrysz wrote:Pies4shaw, I did follow them in 64, 66, 70, 77, 79 and 81. So that's why I know exactly what you're saying. It was like a miracle when we won the flag in 1990 and that's why, when I started this project 1990 was going to be #1. But anyway.....................................................
Yes it was this for me too.

I was at Waverley when Sumich missed his set shot after the siren.
Pandemonium.

When we went on to win the flag the relief was immense: I remember it took days for it to sink in.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

For those who saw 1990, how does it compare to last year in terms of atmosphere and the overall celebrations ?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

1990 was the drought breaking, decades of pent up frustration released, a sense of exhilaration but mostly relief. It was a feeling that I've tried to describe but could never do justice to in words.

2023 was great. It was the joy of victory but it didn't have the underpinning relief that came with 1990, so 2023 was just pure enjoyment, 1990 was something more special.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.