Game Day. Pies v. Dons. Late changes, comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Game Day. Pies v. Dons. Late changes, comments.

Post by Donny »

Today. MCG. 7.40

Collingwood v. Essendon.

Let's hear ya !!
Last edited by Donny on Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

The weather looks perfect for a good game.

I like Dean being an inclusion - allows more flexibility.

Ned Long could be a great inclusion - hopefully he can be in the starting 22
I think therefore I think - I think
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Yes Bombers, you better tag Nick...

“...Because even if you are leading by 20 points at three-quarter time, what this guy can do in fourth quarters - I’m not sure we’ve even seen from anybody in the history of the game over their careers”..."I think there is one man that Essendon have to use, and that is Sam Durham"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dont-g ... 32283670fa
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer

FB: Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, Isaac Quaynor
HB: Charlie Dean, Jeremy Howe, Oleg Markov
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Josh Daicos
HF: Bobby Hill, Brody Mihocek, Lachie Schultz
FF: Joe Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Billy Frampton

FOL: Darcy Cameron, Jordan De Goey, Nick Daicos
IC: Nathan Kreuger, Jack Crisp, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Harvey Harrison, Ned Long

EMG: Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnes, Lachlan Sullivan

------------
INS: Charlie Dean, Lachie Schultz, Ned Long
OUT: Beau McCreery (Injured), Lachlan Sullivan (Omitted), John Noble (Injured)
Ash Johnson...you beauty
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

The centre line looks vulnerable for speed
Believer
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Gee the Josh Diacos selection is a worry, is he 100%? Is it really worth risking greater injury? Late out? Seems strange he was struggling then gets selected?
Last edited by derkd on Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

just turned my Collingwood calendar to July and Bobby Hill appeared as player of the month.
This is an omen.
He will kick 5 goals today.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Ned Long is an endurance beast. He’s been picked to gain some first use and territory, over polish and sublime skills. It’s exactly what we need right now, GRUNT. We need to lock the ball in more and give the defence a chop out. The challenge for Ned will be rising to the next level but if he does adapt, he has the capacity to be the perfect complement to a class midfield.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Line in the sand match, for us and them, but they were very ordinary against a not really great Cats team. We should have beaten Suns up at their fortress. I just think our form is a tad better than these preteneders, who havent beaten a top team yet, WE have defeated Blues, Lions, Port, Deeees, so on that basis, I rekon we will be in a foul mood tonight, Fly will have em angry from first bounce. Woods by 23 points for me. Go Woods !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Quite anxious about this match, but the optimist in me says we get the job done.

Big match either way. Win this and we're back in the top 4. Lose it, and we could potentially fall out of the 8 depending on other results.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:Quite anxious about this match, but the optimist in me says we get the job done.

Big match either way. Win this and we're back in the top 4. Lose it, and we could potentially fall out of the 8 depending on other results.
yeah im anxious too! hopefully we show our backbone early and never let up! love to see us put a team away! when was the last time!!

brr, got my snow gear ready, its freezing!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Am surprised we are such strong favourites with sportsbetting. Not that it reflects anything other than money people are prepared to place on a bet.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies2016 wrote:Ned Long is an endurance beast. He’s been picked to gain some first use and territory, over polish and sublime skills. It’s exactly what we need right now, GRUNT. We need to lock the ball in more and give the defence a chop out. The challenge for Ned will be rising to the next level but if he does adapt, he has the capacity to be the perfect complement to a class midfield.

Cheers mate really appreciate your insight
I put in another thread I assumed he was brought in to give us more physicality at the contest and more first use of it
We need to slow the ball speed going into our defence
He’s mature and sometimes maturity takes longer
Having earned it the hard way he will likely appreciate it more and be determined to stay in the team
Good luck Ned
Take_a_Screamer

* Lachie Sullivan on his way to Frankston tomorrow.
* Reef McInnes named in the centre or is it FF - interesting.
* Iliro Smit in first ruck
* Josh Eyre playing

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... -frankston
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I am interested to see the role of Frampton in our team. He has been selected forward, but we know he is not historically very impactful as a forward. What is more, we have Kreuger specifically for the other tall forward role. Others have suggested that Jem Howe will play forward and Frampton will play in defence along with Dean. I am not enthusiastic about Jem playing forward, especially now that we have Checkers back and Kreuger, it seems an unnecessary diversion from where Howe plays his best - in defence. I am thinking Frampton might be going to play a similar role to Cox as back up ruck and support for Darcy Cameron. So we might see Frampton playing around the ground, taking as many marks as he can, going back into defence if we need support back there. I like that idea, as DC has been shouldering almost the entire ruck himself and looked fatigued last week.
Feeling positive about this game.
While we are still not close to full strength, we have a clearly stronger team than in recent weeks.
We will have been preparing mentally for this game and will be drilled to the core about bringing heat for the entire game and not just the final quarter.
I am really happy with the inclusion of Ned Long, who will be fresh. Also after reading insight from P2016 regarding his characteristics as those of an "endurance beast", I feel very hopeful that this can be exact role we need through the midfield to strengthen our ability to stop rapid opposition clearances.
Our team revels in finals like games such as this. The Magpie Army will be a powerful inspiration for our lads. We haven't played at the G for a while, and I am sure that being there tonight will be a welcome return to for our team to where we play best.
Looking forward to tonight. Bring it on.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins