Post Match. Pies bombed. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post Match. Pies bombed. All comments.

Post by Donny »

Collingwood 12.8.80
Essendon 13.14.92

Goals: Crisp 3, Howie, Kreuger 2, Checkers, Schultz, Pendles 1, Harri 2,

Disposals: Sidey, 32, Nick 30, Pendles 24, Maynard 22, Josh, Crisp 21, H-E 20, Jordy, Howie 13,

AFs: Sidey 124, Pendles 111, Crisp 100, Nick 102, Cameron 68.

*Stats being added.

Let's hear ya !!
Last edited by Donny on Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Very disappointing result.

Think our top 4 hopes are gone and we’ll be fighting for a spot in the bottom half of the 8 now.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

To my mind, it says a lot that all despite, we're still not that far away. I will repost what I said in the match thread:
This is one of those games where every player is just off the pace, so we're making too many errors in every phase of play, whether it's a skilled player like Josh or Bruzzy, a fringe player like Markov, a long-term injury recoverer like Kruges, or players still off the pace because of medium-term injury (Checkers, Pendles, Jordy, etc.). This messes up even players you think should be doing better, because the whole is too far out of kilter.

With that sort of instability on top of a thin and ageing list, the synchronisation and clean ball movement won't be there for a while, with the high risk of our style making it look worse and hitting player confidence on top of that. Better opponents are too much of an ask, with Essendon playing a really good style of football.

We have to try to pinch the odd win while the overall fitness and team sychronisation recover. It's amazing we have won this many games. It will have to be a late charge to get anything from the season because you'd reckon it will take a good few weeks to recover our movement and confidence.

Hang in there, folks. The great thing about this season is the number of players we've exposed and the success of Josh Fraser's work, which is far and above the best way to remedy the underlying challenges. So, at least we know the club is getting absolutely every gain it can in the circumstances.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

The better team on the night won.

It’s that simple.

Bomber kick straighter, the margin is bigger
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Its actually sad to watch :cry:
Top 4 gone now.
Will be interesting to see how Fly and co. try to figure out how to turn this form slump around
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

pietillidie wrote:To my mind, it says a lot that all despite, we're still not that far away. I will repost what I said in the match thread:
This is one of those games where every player is just off the pace, so we're making too many errors in every phase of play, whether it's a skilled player like Josh or Bruzzy, a fringe player like Markov, a long-term injury recoverer like Kruges, or players still off the pace because of medium-term injury (Checkers, Pendles, Jordy, etc.). This messes up even players you think should be doing better, because the whole is too far out of kilter.

With that sort of instability on top of a thin and ageing list, the synchronisation and clean ball movement won't be there for a while, with the high risk of our style making it look worse and hitting player confidence on top of that. Better opponents are too much of an ask, with Essendon playing a really good style of football.

We have to try to pinch the odd win while the overall fitness and team sychronisation recover. It's amazing we have won this many games. It will have to be a late charge to get anything from the season because you'd reckon it will take a good few weeks to recover our movement and confidence.

Hang in there, folks. The great thing about this season is the number of players we've exposed and the success of Josh Fraser's work, which is far and above the best way to remedy the underlying challenges. So, at least we know the club is getting absolutely every gain it can in the circumstances.
It worse at the ground than on TV. We are lazy and let the Bombers spread the ay too easily. They keep possession as they know one of our guys will blow an assignment and create a free player
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Such hubris and complacency since end of 2023.

Unhealthy reliance on Nick.

Will probably finish when we deserve to.

Just be thankful we won 2023.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Frio massive winners. Offloaded a spud for a top 10 pick. Pies with an anchor at the moment. 3 just shit efforts in a row.
If I hear we have to get to work from Fly I will spew.
I only saw the second half but %$^ me this team looks cooked.
Any chance of the midfield running defensively? JDG and Naicos I’m looking at you. I don’t know if it’s ego or coaching but it’s not working.
Fwds just nowhere and I wouldn’t be surprised if checkers had a broken arm. The worst is our defence. Inclusive of both the mids only running one way but how woefully out of form our backmen are starting with our captain. Not only are they not effective defensively, they are woeful offensively.

I don’t see the path out in 2024. It’s not quite the doom and gloom of the Buckley era but I tell you one thing, I would take some of the defensive efforts from that team coz Flys forward runners doesn’t have it.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Dons obviously sll fired up by all the shit they copped all week, re they have oot beaten a top 8 side, and played out of their arses. From what I saw , we were second to the ball too often. plus they had too many loose men. What I wouldnt have given for a fit McStay and Jamie on that forward line, may have been a very different result. Least we fought it out, but fell short, kudos to Sidey, little bugger plays his heart out. Quite a few lessons to be learnt from that loss, Im sure Fly will be right onto it this week.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

What'sinaname wrote:The better team on the night won.

It’s that simple.

Bomber kick straighter, the margin is bigger
Couldn't get around the Dons' pressure, couldn't cope with it. Too slow, poor disposal by hand and foot. It was a shocker.
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

they started like Fly wanted... but for whatever reason 2nd and 3rd Quarters they were cooked

i turned off after wrights goal so im surprised they got back to 12.

defensive structures fell down without Q in the backline since he played on the wing.
i think Fly threw him back eventually...

we missed Mccreery in the forward line.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

We have a team that is made up of numerous players who are other club discards, rookies, mid year and preseason draft picks.
Not one of them is gold.
Shultz was not worth a round one pick.
Too many rely on too few.
I think we can see why Cox is so important to our team structure.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

I can’t see light at the end of the tunnel.

Ageing list, players off the boil, just shit house.

Shultz not good.

Bobby, Checkers, WHE, Crisp, IQ, JDG all go quiet way too often when we need them to fire up.
Josh tonight was not fit, the amount of times he handballed instead of kicking.

Darcy coughing up the pill too many times.

There’s only so much Pendles & Sideass can do.

Cameron needs help, by the time we get the rest of the troops back, it’ll be too late to do anything with them.

Also, no draft picks means we’re screwed.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Hmm. Out worked and out played in the end. After half time there seemed to be two of theirs for one of us.

Their tall’s killed us. Anybody that doubts the importance of Cox to our structure needs to watch this game again.

Nutted in the clearances. Our centre line looked slow at selection and so it turned out.

Top 4 gone.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Essendon haven’t beaten a top 8 team this year, I’d argue they still haven’t.

I saw something in the 3rd qtr that just sums us up. Essendon get a centre square free and we decide to go outside 5 on the mark and allow the Essendon player to just take 10 meters and drive the ball in deep, possibly the most stupidest thing I have seen us do this year.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.