VFL Round 18

The home of conversation about our Reserves team - the second best men's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

VFL Round 18

Post by Dark Beanie »

Pies vs Richmond (Home)

Sunday 28 July @ 10.05 am. Venue Swinburne Centre aka Punt Road.

Match centre:

https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/6541

Ladder: Pies 20th (2 wins, 13 losses, 73.6%) Richmond 8th (9 wins, 6 losses, 110.7%)
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: VFL Round 18

Post by Jen2310 »

best team we have fielded in ages. Dont mind the positions of ash and eyre. They'll be swapped.

COLLINGWOOD vs RICHMOND

Sunday 28 July, 10:05am, Swinburne Centre
Head-to-Head: Collingwood 14-6-1; At Swinburne Centre: Collingwood 7-2; Streak: Collingwood 3; Last Time: Collingwood 21.9 (135) def Richmond 8.12 (60) – Wildcard Round, August 27, 2023, Swinburne Centre

COLLINGWOOD
B: R. McInnes (26), C. Dean (43), A. Johnson (40)
HB: J. Ryan (24), T. Jiath (19), T. Wilson (56)
C: E. Allan (16), C. Lane (48), H. Demattia (13)
HF: H. Mahoney (72), J. Richards (29), H. Kennedy (53)
F: B. Frampton (17), B. Crocker (47), J. Eyre (34)
R: I. Smit (20), L. Sullivan (33), F. Macrae (18)
INT: O. Warburton (80)*, R. Sparkes (51), C. Mulvogue (61), C. Willis (64), S. Glover (50)
EMG: J. Longmire (57), A. Seivers (59), K. Schrieber (52), J. Tomasiello (61), C. MacDonald (74), J. Hartman (70), B. Dowling (73), H. Brown (76), J. Mathey (58)

IN: E. Allan, C. Dean, A. Johnson, R. McInnes, J. Richards, J. Ryan, L. Sullivan, O. Warburton, C. Willis
OUT: J. Bytel, M. Cox, W. Parker (AFL), H. Brown, N. Christian, J. Longmire, C. MacDonald, K. Schrieber, A. Seivers
NEW: Oliver Warburton, 18, 185cm, Shepparton Swans/Murray Bushrangers

RICHMOND
B: M. El Nour (57), J. Blight (51), J. Garner (53)
HB: M. Clarkson (77), T. McCarthy (76), N. Guiney (62)
C: A. Johnson (70), M. Pickett (50), M. Coulthard (26)
HF: M. Yassine (65), M. Rioli (10), L. George (67)
F: S. Davidson (73), N. Cumberland (38), J. Bauer (43)
R: T. Brindley (61), K. McAuliffe (28), T. Sonsie (40)
INT: L. Wilson (82), R. Cantwell (68), J. Smith (63)*, H. White (56), J. Pollocks (79)
EMG: O. Moncrieff (59), H. Broderick (69), J. Feneley (64)

IN: N. Cumberland, K. McAuliffe, M. Pickett, M. Rioli, T. Sonsie
OUT: O. Hayes-Brown (concussion), H. Broderick, N. Collier, C. Olden, L. Thomas
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Thanks Jen.

Will be interesting to see how they actually line up as it is rarely as selected.

Richmond have brought in some speed to their team with Rioli and Pickett.
Hopefully the Pies can make it a but of a slog and slow them down.
Rain is forecast for tomorrow and parts of Punt Road are pretty soggy, particularly the grandstand wing (as reported by the 27 year old who is currently working with the Richmond AFLW team as part of his Masters placement).
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

I just had a look at the VFL ladder and was surprised to see Richmond on 8th and sitting second last at 20th. Guess injuries in the firsts don't really matter for the 2's. Seems to be something wrong at the moment, a disconnect between those chasing and signing talent and those coaching it on the park. I'm a bit worried that the young players drafted in are not going to develop as they should.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Then again the Boohoos have one more win than us at VFL level, so who knows.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

VFL tigers have played well this year more undermanned than the VFl pies. Shows you what good VFL coaching can do. This was reported a couple of time this year with their VFL listed brigade doing well against AFL listed players.

We’re only 6 games outside the VFL 10, as said above our best team for a while on paper. Hopefully we can execute a positive game plan in the wet tomorrow and get close. If we’re goals down at quarter time again it will be another tough game.

The VFL tigers are pretty short, maybe we can use the height advantage for a change and the rains holds off til later
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Qtr time. Coll 3.3 ( 21 ) vs Tigers 3.1 ( 19 )

Richards elevated to replace DeGoey and Sullivan carried over. Slippery but not wet conditions.
Pies started well but Tigers reeled them in late in the qtr. McInnes started deep in defence on Cumberland, so that’s a good test for him back there.
DeMattia was probably our best in a fairly even effort from Collingwood players. He’s had a pretty good month ( except for last week ) and he’s reached the point where he looks very comfortable at VFL level. Good hands and makes good decisions.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Half time. Pies 5. 7 ( 37 )vs Tigers 3 . 3 ( 21 )
Tough day to showcase any players skills but both Dean and Dimattia have handled it better than most. Pies had most of the play that quarter with both Allan and MacRae winning the stoppages at will. Not a lot of polish in their disposals but it’s a territory day and they have both done that well.
All single goal kickers to Collingwood, while Dimattia leads the disposals with 17.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Only saw part of the first then had to duck out, about to sit and watch.

Is playing Reef deep back a nod toward a change of role or is it more likely playing there to learn some forward craft by playing defence?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Reef playing loose man in defense...pretty ordinary tbh. Throughout the year playing forward, mid, defense...if we don't know what he is by now then I'm as confused as the player. I'm also concerned (specifically 3rd qtr) of the slow long kick out of defense to a contest. We don't appear to be a great contested marking team so I don't understand the logic. We are leading though which is great.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Stui, hard to know their thinking but he’s started the second half as the extra behind the ball and he’s having little impact today. I’m not convinced he has the composure for a defender but he’s certainly been given every chance to find a position in the team. When one on one ( mainly first half ) Cumberland has beaten him fairly comfortably

Three qtr time Coll 6. 7 ( 43 ) vs Tiger 4. 8 ( 32 )
You certainly wouldnt put that quarter in any time capsule. Mainly played between the arcs and mistake riddled. Jakob Ryan was the stand out for Collingwood in that quarter. Played at half back and won everything in the air and at ground level. I like this kid but he’s missed a lot of footy. He simply does most things well, he’s a good size and attacks the ball hard. Dimattia has been our best to date on the wing. Runs all day and plays the wing position really well.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Glover misses from 20mtrs out in front...Tigers snap and score...even stevens.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Jeez Allen is a big kick. Nice goal.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Big Roo will be a player.