Pre-Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: 2024 Injury tracker (please quote/link source).

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Small ground next week against the swans so good for the VFL side to have a break

Reef, Sullivan, Macrae, Richards all a chance forward of centre.

We will likely play Lipinski in the 22 however based on 2024 season selection so that also gives the opportunity for different type, potentially a running defender such as Markov or Jiath or even a marking player like Dean.

Will be interesting to see the selection this week but could we see a couple of VFL picks if Fly gives Lippa or one of the veterans a rest and goes with more fresh legs
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Pre-Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments.

Post by Donny »

Friday. SCG. 7.40

Collingwood v. Sydney.

Let's hear ya !!
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments.

Post by lazzadesilva »

All or nothing, nothing to lose type of game. Collingwood should go all out and attack all game but whether they can do this is the problem and the question I haven’t an answer to. They need to find their mid season winning form urgently, play with the same intensity and apply manic pressure. I truly don’t know if they can but I can only hope like hell that they do.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

All we can do is put out our best available against the Swans.
Win our last three and hope for others to fall away...

Outs: De Goey & Noble
Ins: Sullivan and Markov (Lipinski into 22- Sullivan Sub)
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

If going on form we should belt them…..
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

I expect Sydney to come out breathing fire after the hammering they'll receive in the media this week.

With two wins on the bounce, we'll fancy ourselves to continue the winning run.

Need to make some adjustments in the middle with JDG out for the season. Once he went down last night we were exposed at stoppage, so some tactical and selection manoeuvres have to be made by the coaching panel.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Obviously this is a must win game, so we'll need to get our selected team correct.

Although he is a big-bodied strong midfielder, I was dismayed that Long only had 7 possessions for the game against Carlton. For an on baller that is an appalling number. Noble was outplayed all night and Bytel had a few kicks but didn't do much with them. Sidey and Quaynor were both quiet as well. Then there was Lipinski, who despite coming on with fresh legs after JDG's injury, failed to have any impact at all. That's 6 players who I rated as having very poor games. We can't afford that against the Swans.

I would bring back Markov (a bigger/stronger version of Noble), Richards (a classy and highly skilled forward to replace JDG), Sullivan or Macrae (better than Long) as well as Krueger (as our human battering ram). I'd even try Krueger as a ruck rover for a few stints. If we bring our A Game we can and should win this.

Out: Long, Noble, JDG, Lipinski

In: Markov, Krueger, Richards, Macrae/Sullivan (sub)

Pies by 17 pts.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
This post above might be the first to acknowledge Ned Long's limitations. Not sure what the rest of Nick's thinks but it seems to me that he's just there in the middle for size, blocking and tackling. Hasn't done a lot else for me yet with some generally poor disposals putting teammates under more pressure in the middle or when handballing forward at HF. Cleaning up his disposal is something he can work on but it's hard to replace size and muscle, particularly as we will be without JDG's burst from stoppage. Sullivan has some burst traits but has that smaller body. Macrae has better disposal but has that lighter frame. Reef has the taller body seemingly without the strength. There's no one for one replacement, they're all a bit different.

I'd consider McCreery for stints through the middle. Has the speed, strength, size and acceleration to burst through and away.

That opens the door for Richards, Sullivan or whoever to rotate forward instead.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Out JDG Noble Sidey Lipinski Bytel
In Richard’s Harrison Demattia Allan Markov

JDG injury so he’s a easy out
Noble to many chances for a averaged skilled player
Lipinski needs a full game and some confidence
Bytel seems to have hit a little wall. Give him a week back in the VFL
No point taking Sidey to Sydney. He’s form doesn’t warrant a spot anyways but he doesn’t play well there anyways. Give him a weekend off to decide whether he announces his retirement and get a fair well game or is delisted in the off season and no farewell game

Time to play some kids see what they have
Demattia has been playing wing in the VFL so give him a run
Allan has all the physical attributes so needs to given a few games to show them
Richard’s has never let us down
Harrison has to be better than Noble who’s decision making under any sort of pressure is beyond bad
Markov gets one last chance tell him don’t try to overplay your hand and always be defensive side of your man
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Gee we rarely play them in Sydney.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Sydney looks pretty dry this week and for game day / night itself. I'd play K, just to help with intimidation / spark. No Papley for them which is good as he's always a pain for us. Need to get in their heads early. Pies by 13 points.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

I'm maintaining my theory on Sydney players carrying the flu last week lol.
It's simply inexplicable for a team sitting in top spot, despite their form tapering off in the weeks prior, conceding that many goals to an average side like Port,
and barely hitting the scoreboard themselves. As the stats suggested - the result was similar to their 1993 ladder position.
Something HAS to be amiss health wise; your general fitness, form and application doesn't nosedive that abruptly with such an elite midfield.
Even with Rampe, Papsmear and McInerney missing, their absence can't destabilise their line up to such an extent.

Regardless, this friday is the ideal time to strike them, while they are physically and mentally disarmed. Some doubts will be manifesting in their minds.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:16 am
Time to play some kids see what they have.
Nope. While we are still a mathematical chance to play finals then no gifting games or blooding kids.

If we lose this week then sure, open the barn door.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

One of the most out of form sides in the competition. Winning once (against the roos) since June.

The hunger looks to have returned, tidy up the skills a bit and we add to their pain. How they are $1.50 (drifting) favourites is baffling, they couldn't beat a WAFL ( that's West Australian Football league, not to be confused with that unmentionable garbage) side the way they're playing.
Can't see us losing this, Pies by 27 points.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

From the Swans AFL website:
"One of our most anticipated fixtures of the 2024 AFL season is finally here. This Friday night we're set to clash with Collingwood on the SCG and our members and fans are invited to join in on all the festivities."

Let's belt them like the other teams did ... and stuff up their festivities 🤮
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️