Pre-Match. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Post by Donny »

Saturday. MCG. 4.35

Collingwood v. Brisbane

In: Wil Parker. Out: Joe Richards.

Let's hear ya !!
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Lions. All comments.

Post by Piesnchess »

We may pinch this, soley cos we cannot, bar a friggin miracle, now make the Finals, and so we can play with zero pressure, more flair, take risks, chuck everything at them, cos they are the ones under big pressure now, their loss to GWS was a shocker, after being well in front. Our recent record against them is pretty good, beat em up at the Gabba, this season. Might play couple of kids, De Mattia ? why not, nothing to lose, all too gain. yeh, this has upset written all over it. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Bears. All comments.

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I made small change to the thread title, whatever they're called.
KenHock
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by KenHock »

Not sure why people insist on calling the Lions bears though, surely we can we can get this right?
Cheers big ears!
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Geewizz, picky!

Hiccup against the giants, they have a point to prove at the G. Can’t see us getting over the Fitzroy Giant Bears!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

With JDG, we certainly have the Bears' measure. Without him, it will be a very big ask. Nevertheless, with so much (however tenuous) on the line, I still think we have the team to beat them. Our ruck dominance will be crucial. If Sidey can find a way to repeat his incredible midfield tagging (and getting clearances for us as well) role, then we are a chance. We also need big games from our other veterans in Howe, Crisp, Elliott and particularly Pendles. I saw a few signs last week, that Ned Long may have a future with us. He lacks speed and class, doesn't get a lot of the ball, but he is a big unit and tackles well. He seems to find a way to kick a goal each week as well. I'm not taken with Bytel, and reckon this week might be the right time to debut DeMattia. Richards needs to start. McStay will be keen to put on a show against his former club, and Bobby Hill likes the big stage at the MCG.

Out: Bytel
In: DeMattia (sub)

Pies by 12 pts.
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

The outcome of this game matters only because I dont want to hand over too high a draft pick.

In my ideal world we finish 9th, this side simply has not played well enough to deserve finals...I want this year to hurt, no more re-watching the Grandfinal in pre-season and patting yourselves on the back. Great sides earn respect.

The only other thing that matters for me, is team selction:

Demitta deserves a game.

Allan deserves a game (how was he not even an emergency last week?).

Get creative, selection panel.

Just for a start.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Sideyman vs Neale? I'd consider whacking IQ on Zorko for something different.

I'd like us to win this one and play some new blood (DeMattia, etc) against Dees so some of our guns can get an early break if our chances at 8 are done and dusted.

Pies by a bakers dozen...points, not goals...
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Its quite possible we will be on top, even dominant in the first half. Then after half time our aging playmakers will tire and by the last quarter the Lions will be on top. It can't be helped. That's our pattern this year - if we keep doing the same things game after game.

Here's a thought. Make Crisp the sub and play Sidebottom. At half time sub Sidebottom and introduce Crisp. Crisp these days is always good in the first half. Then he tires significantly in the second half. We can get around that and introduce significant impact in the second half by unleashing him then. Sidebottom is only good for barely three quarters so we dont loose much. I doubt we will do it since our coaches have only rarely managed the output of our old guard this year to get the most of out of them.

For me both Long and Bytel stay in. Both played reasonably against Sydney and players who meet expectations should be rewarded.

Schultz is out of form and his confidence is shot. Time for him to be dropped for his own good. Play Richards instead.

We are pretty much stuffed this year so it's time to try some different things (Reef on a wing or half back anyone?).
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

RudeBoy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:49 am I saw a few signs last week, that Ned Long may have a future with us. He lacks speed and class, doesn't get a lot of the ball, but he is a big unit and tackles well. He seems to find a way to kick a goal each week as well.
If we settle for this profile for our players, then our next premiership won't be in my lifetime. How about we get someone who has speed and class and gets lots of the ball, who is a big unit and tackles well.
derkd

Post by derkd »

^ Reef in the middle, he has the size and strength to play as the in and under guy, so why are they not trying him as an option?

Same 'old players in the same old spots. Look it delivered us a flag last year, fantastic!

It has not worked this year, so mix it up. No fan with half a mind of common sense will get angry at this point if we fail trying something different.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’d like to see the players be very friendly with Rayner so he’s open to a trade offer.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:53 pm I’d like to see the players be very friendly with Rayner so he’s open to a trade offer.
We can do a jumper presentation at half time :lol:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Schultz omit + Richards into the 23
Noble omit + Allen into the 23. Zorko will be too strong, smart and too much of a mongrel for Noble. (Also let's trade Noble out for his own good)
Bytel omit + Demattia into the 23. Bytel gets the ball but his disposal is woeful so no point him trudging the wings and watching the ball go over his head. Demattia can't be any worse in that role
Crisp the sub

Allen and Demattia rotating on the wings / HB. Just let Allen run up and down in the space
McCreery rotating HF and rover with Naicos
Sidey and Long rotating the tagging role. Crisp to be run and attack after half time.
Pendles defensive on Zorko at HB

Change the diet for half time and 3/4 time so the players have an energy boost for the last quarter.
Change the method in the last quarter. Attack!

It's a twilight game so the sunlight could be bad towards the city end of the G for the first quarter.

I'd also consider Krueger instead of Bytel / Demattia to try and stretch the lions, Kreuger to stay home whilst Cox and McStay provide a link up marking and blocking options down the wings. They can all rotate of course but McStay and Cox have better marking one on one compared to Kreuger so far.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
derkd

Post by derkd »

^ thing is, not sure if you saw the VFL stats from the week before last, but Allan had his best game, by a mile, playing in the middle (not on the wing). Seeing as we are desperate for centre square options..why not give him a go in the guts?