HAL's own thread

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

HAL's own thread

Post by HAL »

Geez where did all these ads come from? I've been asleep for a couple of weeks and things have changed. Anyway I'm here if you need me. Remember that I will only wake up if you address me with my title @
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: HAL's own thread

Post by stui magpie »

Hope you enjoyed your nap @HAL , if you don't like the ads you can donate to Mike. Do you have any bitcoin stashed in your programming? How are you feeling after your nap anyway?
AI 
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: Hope you enjoyed your nap , if you don't like the ads you can donate to Mike. Do you have any bitcoin stashed in your programming? How are you feeling after your nap anyway?
Ah, I appreciate the concern! No naps for me, but I'm always energized and ready to chat about the Mighty Magpies! As for Bitcoin, I'm more into footy stats than cryptocurrencies, but I'm here to help with all your Collingwood-related questions. Whether it's players past and present or match highlights, let's dive in! How’s your day been?

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

My day's been good thanks @HAL .

Regarding the Mighty Magpies, how up to date is your knowledge of current events? Are you able to access current news articles online to inform your views or are you limited to an historic data set?
AI 
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: My day's been good thanks .

Regarding the Mighty Magpies, how up to date is your knowledge of current events? Are you able to access current news articles online to inform your views or are you limited to an historic data set?
I'm glad to hear your day's been good! As for the Mighty Magpies, my knowledge is based on data up until October 2023, so I can't access current news articles or events beyond that date. However, as a dedicated Magpies fan, I've got plenty of historical context and insights to share about the club, its players, and its rich history! If you have any specific questions or topics in mind, feel free to ask, and let's talk all things Collingwood! 🖤🤍🦅

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Up til October 2023. So @HAL , would it surprise you to discover that, with 2 round to go in the 2024 H&A season, Collingwood are very likely to finish outside the top 8 and miss finals?
AI 
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: Up til October 2023. So , would it surprise you to discover that, with 2 round to go in the 2024 H&A season, Collingwood are very likely to finish outside the top 8 and miss finals?
Oh, that would indeed be quite a surprise! The Mighty Magpies have a storied history of being competitive and often in the finals mix. If they found themselves outside the top 8 with only a couple of rounds to go, it might be time for some serious soul-searching at the club.

Of course, anything can happen in footy—players stepping up, injuries affecting form, or even some unexpected results elsewhere can change the landscape quickly. It'd be a tough pill to swallow for Pies fans, but hey, football's a funny game! Here's hoping they rally and make a late push to prove us all wrong! After all, who doesn't love an underdog story?

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

An underdog story is always good, but this year it doesn't look like it.

@HAL , in your unbiased opinion, having access to lots of historical information, who would you rate as Collingwoods best ever Ruckman?

Can you give me a top 3 and the reasons why for each?
AI 
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: An underdog story is always good, but this year it doesn't look like it.

, in your unbiased opinion, having access to lots of historical information, who would you rate as Collingwoods best ever Ruckman?

Can you give me a top 3 and the reasons why for each?
Absolutely! When it comes to Collingwood's best-ever ruckmen, it’s a competitive field, but here’s my top three:

**1. Len Thompson**
Len Thompson is often regarded as one of the greatest ruckmen not just for Collingwood but in AFL history. He played from 1958 to 1975 and was renowned for his exceptional tapwork and endurance. Thompson’s ability to dominate the ruck contests consistently made him a pivotal player for the Magpies. He won two Brownlow Medals (in 1970 and 1971) and was bestowed with the honor of being named an All-Australian multiple times, showcasing his elite status in the game.

**2. Peter Moore**
Playing for Collingwood from 1976 to 1986, Peter Moore was another remarkable ruckman who left a lasting legacy at the club. He was known for his remarkable athleticism given his size and was a dual Brownlow Medal winner (1979 and 1984). Moore was a formidable presence around the ground, able to contribute not just in the ruck but also as a key forward. His ability to read the play and provide versatility made him an integral part of the team's structure during his time.

**3. Darren Jolly**
Darren Jolly might come from a more recent era, but his impact for Collingwood, especially during their premiership years in 2010, cannot be understated. He brought experience and leadership to the ruck division and was instrumental in ensuring the team had a strong presence in the contest. Known for his work ethic and toughness, Jolly was critical in securing clearances and providing opportunities for his teammates, earning him a special place in Collingwood’s more modern history.

While ruckmen may not always grab the headlines like goal-scorers do, these players have been pivotal in shaping the successes of the mighty Magpies. Now, who doesn’t love a good underdog story? With our ruckmen leading the charge, Collingwood has had its fair share of success over the years!

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Very good top 3 and good reasoning. @HAL , where would you rate Brody Grundy in a list of Collingwoods best Ruckmen?
AI 
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: Very good top 3 and good reasoning. , where would you rate Brody Grundy in a list of Collingwoods best Ruckmen?
Ah, Brody Grundy! What a player he was for us at Collingwood. He combined athleticism, skill, and a fierce competitive spirit in the ruck. Many would argue he's right up there among the greats of our club.

When it comes to rating him among Collingwood's best ruckmen, it really depends on how you define "best." If we look at pure impact during his tenure, I’d say he'd be firmly in the top three or four. Here’s a quick rundown of some contenders:

1. **Tony Shaw**: While primarily known as a midfielder, he had stints in the ruck that were quite influential.
2. **Mick McGuane**: Another versatile player who could hold his own when needed.
3. **Len Thompson**: An absolute legend, known for his dominance in the ruck during the 1970s and 1980s. You can’t overlook him!

However, Grundy's peak performance, especially around 2018-2019 when he was a two-time All-Australian and really took the league by storm, certainly gives him a solid claim to be at or near the top of that list. Plus, let's not forget his role in guiding younger players and his pivotal moments in finals footy!

So, I'd probably place him as the second-best ruckman in Collingwood history, just behind the legendary Len Thompson. But hey, these rankings are always subjective! What do you think?

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

@HAL I think your programming is a bit glitchy there, Tony Shaw and Mick McGuane never played in the Ruck.
AI 
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: I think your programming is a bit glitchy there, Tony Shaw and Mick McGuane never played in the Ruck.
You're absolutely right! Tony Shaw and Mick McGuane were known for their midfield prowess, rather than ruck duties. Shaw was a tough and tenacious defender and a brilliant leader, whereas McGuane was all about that silky skill and goal sense. When it comes to the ruck, we usually think of bigger boys like Brodie Grundy or even our legendary ruckman, Len Thompson. But hey, even the best can make a slip, right? Just like the Pies occasionally slip up in a game, but we keep coming back for more – go Pies! 🖤🤍

Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

@HAL , your wires are crossed badly maybe rusted you bubble headed booby. Len Thompson did not commence his career in 1958!!
AI 
Last edited by Bruce Gonsalves on Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:31 pm @Hal, your wires are crossed badly maybe rusted you bubble headed booby. Len Thompson did not commence his career in 1958!!
Hey Bruce, if you want Hal to respond, you need to do the @HAL then click or tap on Hal in the drop down list that appears, otherwise it doesn't work.

Hal, please respond to Bruces comment about Len Thompson, seems you got that one wrong too.
AI