On field positional changes 2025 ?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

On field positional changes 2025 ?

Post by Pies2016 »

I was reflecting on how competitive we have been against good opposition in the last month. Our last four games were three wins and a very narrow loss against top of the ladder, Sydney up there. Those performances had a bit to do with a number of positional changes the coaching team employed over the last few weeks.

The move of Josh to half back has proven a real winner and it’s coincided with his best run of form in 2024. He’s such a good player, he could play anywhere but the position itself has become so important, we need the quality back there to launch our attacks. You obviously don’t want to rob Peter to pay Paul by missing out on the wing but I see us with more wing types on our list than A + distributors at half back. Given the club have seen what he brings to the table in that role, I hope they find themselves in a position to keep him there in 2025. Maybe we will see a swap between Quaynor and Josh in 2025, considering Quaynor looked pretty comfortable further up the ground, albeit from limited exposure.

Hoskin - Elliot as the third or less likely second tall forward in 2025 is a position I would hope to see him hold down again. The ultimate swing man has been a victim of his own flexibility but his smarts, speed off the mark and aerial work make him a serious handful for any third defender. He’s been fantastic in that role for us over the last month or two and his footy smarts at creating space and blocking for team mates make him a rare perfect fit for a tough gig in the forward line. This is another recent change I would like to see as something more permanent in 2025.

Then there’s Sidey as a run with player ( let’s not diminish his legacy and call him a tagger ) While I admire the way he executed that role against quality opponents, I’m not convinced there’s a role for that every week in 2025. Having said that, we have a sample size over the last month to suggest he has all the tools to do what is required as a lock down player. Yet another lesson learnt in the last few weeks of the season.

I had posted a few weeks ago how sometimes finding improvement over the off season can be as easy as finding a different position for players who are already on your list. Whether by design or out of injury necessity, the above role changes should give us all a bit of hope that improvement comes in many forms. Sometimes it’s via the draft, sometimes its player trades but even more simply, sometimes its just by finding existing players a new position on the footy field.

So the question needs to be asked, do any other on field positional changes come to mind for 2025 ??
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: On field positional changes 2025 ?

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Darcy Cameron could be a good key forward if we had another genuine full time ruck. Have loved his work in the ruck this year but with his contested marking, he could be very competitive up front given his ability below the knees and excellent kicking.

IQ and McCreery to have some roles around the ball. Doesn’t have to be full time but enough to use their strength
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Yep, I was thinking similar with Darcy Cameron but he’s had such a great season as a ruckman, the concern would be how little he’s involved in the play as deep key forward. As you said, we would need to have a quality ruckman ready to go before we would see Cameron play up forward. He’d be an imposing figure, though.

I imagine McCreerys role in the centre will likely increase in 2025, albeit off a very low base. Personally, I don’t see him as a clearance player, maybe a part time midfielder but preferably not starting in the centre square ( more like playing him as the extra around the ball in general play )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I would persist with IQ on a wing
He has the speed to get back and help in defence (and understands the system) and the speed to break lines. With Josh playing off HBF they pose a significant threat for ball movement
I would like to see McCreery get more mid field minutes in bursts. If we are getting dominated around the ball use his speed and hustle to take time away from them
WHE is the perfect swing man. He can play forward back or on a wing
I want to see Allan used in the middle with JDG and Mitchell. He has lightning hands and his work ethic around the contest was very good. Yes he has a lot to learn but I reckon he has a huge upside
Pendles shouldn’t be used on the ball the majority of the game any longer. Maybe split his time from HBF to HF and little spurts on the ball if required.
Dean needs to step up into that Murphy role. We need that 3rd defender
I want to see Parker given chances before Noble. We know what Noble offers but Parker has shown off a limited base he has some real go in him.
If we have JDG Mitchell Allan Schulz Pendles Nick who can all play minutes on the ball I don’t see a need for Sidey. A run with role really only exists when your mids can’t control the contests. If we have our full midfield available then we should be able to dominate so no need for a run with role. Maybe he shares some time on the wing or HF but they would be limited minutes. Maybe he and Pendles split game time as sub ensuring we have experience around the ball for a entire game and lessening the reliance we have on them to play 4 quarters
I don’t see the club playing Pendles in the VFL. If he isn’t getting games at AFL level then he should retire. The point of him playing on really is the games record and if my calculations are correct we need finals run next season for him to do so.
Sidey is different he could spend time in the VFL if the younger players are demanding minutes in the AFL. His personal ambition to reach 350 games is incidental to the teams requirements really.
Howe is in same boat as Sidey. If we find a 3rd defender who can fill his role then he could be playing VFL.
In a perfect world both Sidey and Howe come mid season are both in the VFL because it means we are injury free (to a large extent) and the kids have earned there AFL spots and are developing well.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:07 pm Darcy Cameron could be a good key forward if we had another genuine full time ruck. Have loved his work in the ruck this year but with his contested marking, he could be very competitive up front given his ability below the knees and excellent kicking.
Our younger ruck brigade are still 1-3yrs away from being match ready. Hopefully we end up getting / developing 212cm Alex Condon. In the meantime if we're unable to nab a genuine key forward perhaps this could be an option:

- Reilly O'Brien, just turned 29yo, is only a ruckman, has limited other capacity as a player. Free agent in 2025, Crows are known to be seeking to replace him. There is talk that he's not interested in a long term career as he has a degree in neuroscience.
#1 for average hitouts of 43 (next best is J.Witts on 37.5)
#1 for hitouts to advantage 12.3 (next best is L.Meek on 10.6)
Maybe we could add him to the trade when we go for Keane?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Great post P2016. I agree with all of that. Josh Daicos should remain as a running half back with IQ up on the wing.

Darcy Cameron must remain our first ruck. He has almost been in AA form this year with his ability to take crucial marks all over the ground. Unless we recruit someone like Alex Condon, our key forwards should remain Checkers, McStay, WHE and occasionally a resting ruckman.

The key to our improvement will be securing/developing a key full back, most probably Dean, as well as strengthening our midfield with the addition of Allan.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I'm not convinced IQ posseses the speed and tank for the wing nor the dexterity to become a Tom Mitchell type extractor and distributor.
His reliability in his current role I'd suggest is more important to us.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:00 pm ...
Hoskin - Elliot as the third or less likely second tall forward in 2025 is a position I would hope to see him hold down again. The ultimate swing man has been a victim of his own flexibility but his smarts, speed off the mark and aerial work make him a serious handful for any third defender. He’s been fantastic in that role for us over the last month or two and his footy smarts at creating space and blocking for team mates make him a rare perfect fit for a tough gig in the forward line. This is another recent change I would like to see as something more permanent in 2025.
Yup... Victim of his own versatility...

Only sad thing about playing forward: Jamie and WHE in their youth were deadly with the set shots. But in old age, their set shots have become hit and miss... Interesting, huh? They still have the leap, so looks like set-shot kicking goes before speccies...
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Checkers back to being a full back if we trade in Lynch?
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Whilst Darcy could be good as a full forward, he really came of age this year as that around the ground marking option we need as a ruckman, especially in intercept marking. It's what we lacked for so many years having a ruck who couldn't even take an uncontested mark, let alone intercept and contested marks.

Plus like Coxy, I feel they benefit most up forward as floating ruckmen as they usually won't get the best defenders.

I would like Wil Parker given a go up the field on a wing or even through the midfield, got elite skills and with a pre season under his belt will hopefully have the tank to match.
K
Has liked: 3 times

Post by K »

eddiesmith wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:53 pm Whilst Darcy could be good as a full forward, he really came of age this year as that around the ground marking option we need as a ruckman, especially in intercept marking. It's what we lacked for so many years having a ruck who couldn't even take an uncontested mark, let alone intercept and contested marks.
Yep, as media have said, unless a ruckman has the tap skills of NicNat, he needs to take marks to have an impact on the game. And I prefer F50 marks! (Very hard for most ruckmen. That's why Cox, really a ruckman, deserves more credit than some give him.)

As for the $7 million ruckman who can't even take uncontested marks... Sheesh... Gobsmacking, ain't it? I just turn on a Syd. game for a random 10-minute squizz... and that's enough time to see him drop another simple uncontested mark. So it must be happening all the time! The last one I saw, he was beaten by an oppo player who had fallen over and was literally sitting on the ground behind him. No kidding. He dropped an easy uncontested mark in front of his face, and the ball fell off his hands to the back, straight to the oppo player sitting on the ground. :shock:
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:22 pm Checkers back to being a full back if we trade in Lynch?
I suggest if we land Lynch that Checkers could end up at the Demons not our backline. I will add landing Lynch is a long shot, simply because of his salary. Only way I see Lynch departing the Tigers if they absorb some of his salary. He can barely get on the park and at $1.5 mil is a risk many won't take.
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

There is zero chance Checkers is going anywhere.
Craigmac
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Craigmac »

I think we need to be bold in our decisions and consider the following if we are going to go around again with so many over 30's:

1. There are no good tall forwards available so swing Darcy Moore forward. Maybe the change he needs to rejuvenate his career. Jamie Elliot has one more year, plus McStay, Schultz, McCreery, Hill, WHE, Richards maybe, and others to create havic.
2. Chase Battle as a FA hard (no draft cost) and reconstruct our backline around Battle, Howe (1 yr), Keane, Maynard, Dean, Eyre, Frampton. Parker, Markov, Daicos, IQ as medium defenders. And could we add Himmelberg also.
3. Trade Mihocek (31) to Melbourne who want a forward. Love Mihocek but we need to get something for him while he has value, especially with the ageing SP, SS, JH, TM plus others going around again. You would assume all 4 retire next year plus others.
4. Trade Crisp (30) while he has value. Doesnt miss games. Would get a 2nd rounder for him
5. Noble is gone so secure a good pick.
6. Happy to hold onto Richards but a late 2nd (in 30's) rounder if he insists on going
7. Id rather keep McInnes and trade Macrae. Could we swap Macrae for Hobbs or at least get a high third for him.
8. Now use the picks to upgrade our draft hand into the first round.
9. Could we then get into discussions around adding Petracca by upgrading picks? If not try and add to our midfield through high draft picks we get from trading our picks or a surprise trade or 2 for someone not in discussions like Schultz last year.

Yes, I know a few fan favorites in the above but if we are to remain competitive we need to make change.
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

If we can get another solid mid and a lock down defender we'd have done well this off season. I feel like Ed Allan is the first of those.