Nick's Brownlow?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Nick's Brownlow?

Post by Skids »

Ok, I'm going early, but boy he's in this big time!
The second leg of a three way multi (Hogan - Coleman was the 1st) at 500/1, I'm crossing everything.

If Nick polls 31 votes, which he'll have to get, at least, to win. He will be the only Collingwood player, ever, to average 1 Brownlow vote per game (70 games), his average at present is 0.93. This is an amazing achievment and puts Nick in some pretty special company.

Des Fothergill (111) - 0.85
Dane Swan (258)- 0.78
Buckley (280) - 0.66
Pendles (403) - 0.63
And Len Thompson (301) - 0.51 are some of the, just 15, Collingwood players to average over half a vote a game.

Only one other player in the history of our great game has averaged 1 (1.04) brownlow vote a game.
Haydn Bunton Snr, in a 119 game career with Fitzroy. He also played with Subiaco (72 Games) in he WANFL & Port Adelaide (17 games) in the SANFL. The only footballer to win 3 Brownlows & 3 Sandovers.

His son, Haydn Jnr, won 3 premierships in a row (1961-1963) as Captain/coach for Swan Districts. He returned to the club both he and his father played at, Subiaco, as coach from 1984-1992 to take out 2 premierships. Jnr never played AFL, but took to the field in 299 games of WANFL (148 games Swans & Subi) & SANFL (151 games) football.
He also coached over 700 games in those 2 leagues.
Last edited by Skids on Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: Nicks Brownlow.

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ If they were serious, they’d just put Nick into the AFL Hall of Fame as a Legend, now, to avoid unnecessary waiting.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Nick's Brownlow

Post by neil »

Pendles has never won a Brownlow think about it
Think of all the rising star nominations that Collingwood players never got
Just because he deserves one doesnt mean he will get it
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Skids

Post by Skids »

Whether he wins it or not, the big thing is he will more than likely become only the second footballer, in the history of VFL/AFL to average 1 brownlow vote a game. 31 votes will make that the case.

The only guys still playing the game that are even close to that are; Fyfe (0.9), Dangerfield (0.84), Bontempelli (0.83), Neale (0.82) & Cripps (0.78). 6 Brownlows between them. The Bont being the only one of those 5 who hasn't won one.

Interesting fact about Pendles - he has polled 2 votes more times (43) than anybody in Brownlow history.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I actually think Nick will miss out this year, due to Collingwood's relative poor form. The 3 votes generally goes to a player from the winning side, and we did not win enough games imho. My money would probably be on Bontempelli. I'll certainly spew if that prick from the Bears is gifted another Charlie.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Rude it’s a done deal
The media and commentators have been banging on for weeks that Cripps is the winner (in there minds)
I did a couple of the predictors and I had Nick 2 voted ahead with 2 rounds to play (Bont was 3rd Heeney was 2nd Cripps was 4th Neale 7th)
I can see Nick 2 clear after last round and Cripps gets 3 votes in a losing side all because he played 1 decent quarter
The voting needs to be taken out of the umpires hands and out in the hands of former players (not in the media) who do the voting each week at a game there former club or clubs aren’t involved in
Umpires vote on names and expectations not on actually what happens on the field
Skids

Post by Skids »

I was chatting to some punter at Flemington when I was in Melbourne for our round 17 game against Essendon. He had, so he said, good advice that Nick was on 27 votes... don't know how, just conveying the comment. If he's got 27 by then, it's in the bag.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Must be the same bloke QM67 gets all his 'mail' from.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Well it’s Nicks coaching player of the year beating Patty Cripps and Isaac Heeney

Congrats Nick Daicos
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Skids

Re: Nick's Brownlow?

Post by Skids »

As the count gets closer, brownlow "Predictors" are popping up everywhere, although it is looking like a 2 horse race according to punters.

Nick & Cripps are locked together at 6/4, with the next in betting, Neale @ 7/1 & the Bont @ 14/1.

All bar Neale (he missed 1) have played every game and their stats are quite similar.
The 2 major differences being; Bontempelli hit the scoreboard the most with 31 goals (Nick 20, Cripps 16 & Neale 13). Cripps & Bontempelli laid the most tackles with 126 each (Nick 87, Neale 70).

The ESPN predictor has successfully picked the winner in 7 of the past 10 seasons. It has Cripps winning with 34 votes, ahead of Nick on 32.5. I know, you can't get half a vote but that's what it says. One thing that stood out the moment I looked at the predictors votes was that it had Neale polling 3 in our game v the Lions in round 3 and Nick getting 0.

The AFL predictor has Nick & Cripps as Joint winners on 33 votes, 1 ahead of Neale. Round 3 has Nick getting 3 votes with Neale receiving 2.

The Betfair predictor has Nick winning with 31.5 votes, 1 ahead of Cripps on 30.5 with Neale third on 26. They can't separate Nick and Neale in round 3, giving them 2 votes each.

Betseeker has Nick winning with 31.25, just 0.25 ahead of Cripps withe Neale third on 28. They make a big call on a value bet - Butters for top 3, he's 100/1 to win it.

Wheelo ratings has Nick winning with 34.4 votes, ahead of Cripps on 33 & Neale 27.3. Round 3 with this mob has Nick getting 1.1 & Neale getting 2.5.

The wildest one I've seen, champion data, has a 4 players tieing on 21 votes; Nick, Neale, Bontempelli & Gawn!

Gerard Whateley has Nick winning from Cripps... or a tie between the 2. David King has Cripps winning.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Surely Jamie Elliot gets the 3 votes in Round 3. Crisp tightened up on Neale after Macrae was subbed out and the Pies got away
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Nick's got the GB medal, I'm sure he knows that's the important one.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Skids

Post by Skids »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:09 am Surely Jamie Elliot gets the 3 votes in Round 3. Crisp tightened up on Neale after Macrae was subbed out and the Pies got away
I agree. The AFL predictor has Jamie polling 1 vote for the whole season and it's in round 3.

Most predictors have our players, other than Nick, scoring hardly any.

AFL Predictor
Nick 33
Crisp 6
Josh, JDG & Pendles 5
WHE 3
Cameron, Howe, Lipinski, Hill & Bruzz 2
Jamie & Sidey 1

This could be the factor in Nicks favour.
Carlton have Walsh (predicted 19) taking votes from Cripps. The Dogs have Treloar (18) and Brisbane have McCluggage (15) & Zorko (11).
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Neale is always a chance - any bloke who can get 3 votes for a game in which he had 20 disposals (just 7 of them kicks) - see round 6 2023, in which Coniglio had 38 disposals with 9 clearances opposed to him and Kelly had 41 disposals) - is capable of polling 69 votes. It isn't like he does anything with most of his possession, either - he's just a classic accumulator. But there you have it - he has the same number of Brownlow Medals as Keith Greig, which is - in my respectful opinion - a complete embarrassment for the validity of the award.
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

I have Nick on 28 at round seventeen, and finishing the year on 39