Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

REVIVED THREAD: Olympic Park - The President's response

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the president Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:45 am
Post subject: REVIVED THREAD: Olympic Park - The President's responseReply with quote

[I split this post from Tessa's Olympic Park topic and started a new topic because I felt that Eddie's reply warranted maximum visibility - Mike]

Dear Tessa and other interested parties.
The building of our new base at Olympic Park continues on schedule as does our consultation in association with the City of Yarra and the local residents association in regards to the continued use of McHale Stadium at Victoria Park.
Before any hysteria overcomes people let's all take a deep breath and go back to the start of this plan.
One. How do we achieve the best training and medical facilities possible for our team.
Two. How do we continue to grow the feeling of togetherness that our club members and supporters have been able to achieve with the club over the past few years.
Three. How do we open opportunities to grow our business given that turnover in the past four years has gone from around $15 million to $27 million and will continue to head north.
This board has always been open and consultitive but not afraid to make decisions.
I am always available to answer concerns.
Feel free to post any questions you have regarding Olympic Park.
I will answer as many as possible within the constraints of competitive confidentiality.
But remember we ARE moving to Olympic Park.
A development in the heart of the biggest sporting precinct in the world so close to the CBD.
A homebase development that will fold perfectly into our social club stand at the MCG which is now only two - three years away.
Eddie.
PS. I am dissappointed with the cheap shot in regards to the heritage jumper.
For the record the art work approved and the jumper that arrived were not one and the same.
The senior executives and the president were in New Zealand helping our major sponsor Emirates launch that market and on our return on Tuesday, the day the jumper arrived, immediately made arrangements for the jumper to be amended.
Far from this being a problem it shows again that at Collingwood we do not cop anything dished up, that we are proactive and that on the day the result will be as desired.
Inevitably mistakes are made in life by the best people, it is how they are fixed that makes the difference.
Heritage jumper wanted is the heritage jumper that will run out onto the MCG tomorrow. Done. Next?
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering any concerns Eddie. I for one am looking forward to the proposed move - will there be a bar there where we can all congregate (as we all do now at The Cricketers/Locker Room)? You can see where my priorities lie! Smile

As to the heritage jumper - the one modelled by Nath last night looked great to me (much better than the one publicised earlier in the week), but then maybe that's cos Nath was the one modelling it? Wink

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Ed. I look forward to any responses that may be forthcoming.
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:08 pm

What facilities will there be for kids?

For me the worst thing about Vic Park was a total lack of facilities for children.

Hopefully with the new head quaters now being built at Olympic Park there will be a dedicated childrens area.

Remember tomorrows corprate heads are todays children.
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:11 pm

Eddie, your input is much appreciated, I knew you would be only too happy to answer questions if you were aware of them.

It seems a main concern to the supporters is the accessability of the new facility.

Will there be adequate parking - and the cost of parking?
Most of us are used to being able to attend training sessions etc. and not having to worry about access.

I'm sure all supporters will be welcome at Olympic Park as they were at McHale Stadium - (not just Social Club members as has been suggested?)

Thankyou
Julee

GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:21 pm

well said eddie and its much appreciated that a president has time to reply also i hope when our new Nest is finished it will be the envy of every club in the AFL
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:21 pm

Ed would the heritage jumpers be looked at next year as a alternative strip as it has more white on it.

I think the move to olympic park is a positive one as i live in adelaide you look at the crows and [power facilities they are first class. but the only problem with the crows and power is the location because they are out at west lakes and port adelaide they are to far out of the way for there supporters it would be ok if you lived in that area.By having the training facility in the heart of melbourne people have easy access to get there and this may increase collingwoods popularity(increase members).I think do it before someone else does i reckon essendon and carlton would be spewing in the long run.

With vic park maybe it could be turned into a colling wood museum or could williamstown play some games there to keep the tradition.
roccasok 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:50 pm
Post subject: Thanks for the reply EddieReply with quote

Wow, isn't it great to be part of a club where the president is this accessable to the members. Remember Eddie does this because he loves Collingwood. He isn't a paid employee and has heaps of other work commitments which would be vying for his time, but instead he is taking an interest in the supporters and their concerns. Well done Eddie. I bet when John Elliot was the president of Carlton he didn't spend too much time reading posts on unofficial Cartlon bulletin boards (and even less time replying to them!).

Having seen the facilities of a few other footy clubs interstate, I am all for an upgrade to our facilities. While I love VP and it has it's place in our club history, it's current state is quite frankly well below standard, and is pretty embarrasing for such a great club as ours. Bring on OP.

Hopefully the club shop will be much bigger and more open than the current one. Imagine the mechandising opportunities if there is a shop right at the front with all the wares on show to the thousands of people who pass that way everyday. And I imagine there would be a fair few dollars and a lot of club exposure in selling some of the other sports merchandise for things like the tennis, rugby etc. Imagine a Melbourne Storm fan going in to purchase his Storm jersey and (because it is so attractive) picking up some Collingwood stuff while he is there.

I would like a clarification about OP. From what I remember at the Legends cocktail party at Crown, Eddie said something about next years party being held at the new OP venue. That sounds like the function room at OP will be pretty big. Tessa's description made the whole place sound pretty small. Did I hear Eddie right?

Last edited by roccasok on Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:03 pm

When Joffa and I interviewed Eddie earlier in the season, we were very fortunate to see the plans to OP.

The place is huge - plenty of room and the scope for hosting functions in the off season and that is immense.

I am the biggest Vic Park nutter around - I love the place - but Olympic Park is going to be great. It is hard not to get excited when you think of the direction and future that the club is going.

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
RitchieColeRocks Leo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:00 pm
Post subject: ...Reply with quote

I'm so enthused and excited as the anticipation for the opening of Olympic Park grows.
Like everyone else I'll miss Vic Park, it's a major part of Collingwood but...
I remember last year was the first year I went to Vic park since I was a WEEE Little baby, and seeing the Black and White stripes around the top of the building brought back memories I never even knew I had

I suggest we keep the black and white stripes around the top of the Stadium at Olympic Park, there just so easy to see, and ... I guess it screams "This is Collingwood Teritory".

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:08 pm

Yeah i remember when i saw Vic Park many years ago and saw the black and white striped on the outsie of the ground i thought "farkkkk this is like a shrine". (I dont remember my exact thoughts but it was along those lines). The ground was just Collingwood through and through. No other sporting ground in Australia to my knowledge has the outside of their ground in team colours.

It would be great if they did a similar thing at Olympic Park but somehow i doubt it.

jlc

magpie willow 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:46 pm

Thanks so much for that Ed we all appreciate you at the club so much thanks for coming as president and saving the football club we all love look how bloody good we are now!!! Laughing Laughing

I am dearly gonna miss Vic Park been there so many times its my second home but I will learn to love Olympic Park just as much cant wait for it you beauty! Laughing Laughing Laughing

CARN THE PIES!!!!
AB35 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:49 pm

I'm sure everyone has fond memories of McHale Stadium. Daics kicking goals from anywhere, the ensuing roar of the crowd, McKenna kicking drop-punts from what seemed like 60 yards out on the boundary line through the middle!

However, I went down to watch the guys train today and thought I'd take a look around the outer for old times sake. To put it mildly, surely our club deserves better than this. Not much of a training facility and with due respect, walking in the front doors of the Social Club doesn't do anything for me. I also agree it's not 'children friendly'. It would be great though if the Club could retain some sort of presence at McHale in recognition of all who came before us.

I've no doubt the people at the Club will make sure OP becomes a great facility that will reinforce our standing as the greatest and most popular sporting club in the land. Sure, the transition may bring up teething problems, but ultimately it'll be the envy of all other clubs - wait and see.

As if we're not already proud Collingwood people, but I'm tipping that we'll all be walking much taller in the years to come.

To everyone at the Club, keep up the great work.

GO MAGPIES!
the president Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:59 pm
Post subject: olympic parkReply with quote

On the questions so far.
In regards to painting the stripes on the building we will have restrictions because of the Heritage overlay on the building.
We have however had very amicable negotiations with Heritage and we will have more than sufficient signage for there to be no misunderstandings as to who lives there.
One of the major reasons for our move is to give our supporters and members the opportunity to get closer to the club.
Over the last four years we have run at various times back to Vic Park nights after games as well as back to the Hilton nights.
Taking into account our on field performances at the various times it was clear that not too many were keen to head back to Lulie street after a game yet they were swinging off the rafters at the Hilton.
The plan is too have areas that will accomodate the needs of everyone.
An area for those who want to stand and have a beer, an area for those who want to have dinner, a players lounge so they can meet their family and friends as well as corporate areas.
In doing so we will not be segregating our club, instead making areas available for all our supporters to feel comfortable.
Please remember that there isn't a room in the world that can fit 60,000 people but for what we want to do we are confident the space will be right.
I noted that people were also concerned about club night, the whole idea of this venue is to promote more activity.
In regards to parking there is plenty of parking available to watch training and to come to the club house. Free short term parking directly opposite the venue if you are coming in to pick up tickets etc, as well as free or minimal parking for longer stay visitors with the ticket endorsed at reception or similar.
There is also plenty of angle parking along the tan track 100 metres away on the other side of the Yarra.
As well light rail and rail services past the door.
We have always hoped to achieve a "back to the future" result.
That is, after the game those who want to can come back to where the players will be, present the players to the supporters, BOG, etc.
As for the kids. We have massive plans for the kids. Not saying too much about it yet.
As for before the game it's the only place to be. The cricketers on steroids!!!
Remember this is where the players will come and go from.
Eddie.
PS happy to answer non OP related questions as well. Just might be a couple of days before I get back on here. Go Pies.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:16 pm

Well, Eddie, its a great privledge to have posts on this board from you.

As a resident of Adelaide, I have seen for years the facilities both SA teams have, and compare them to Collingwoods, is like comparing a 5 star hotel to an on site caravan.
The fact our team still thrives under these conditions is a credit to the coaching staff. One can only imagine how phenomenal our team will be with the best training facilites around.
Your quote of ' the cricketers on steriods" brought a tear to my eyes.

Something I would like to know is, where will the social club be at the MCG, and when will it be open for our members?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: