Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

No Wonder So Many People are Depressed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the question is what best fosters technological development. It'll be a bit disheartening if the answer turns out to be war. The obvious case study that comes to mind is the Soviet Union vs. United States, especially in the Space Race.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 pm

It needn’t be disheartening, even if that is true – clearly, technological development is not a desirable end in and of itself, and the catastrophic consequences of war would tend to outweigh its benefits. So, finding the second-most effective means of technological development is not necessarily a bad goal. Cool
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:51 pm

K wrote:
Here is the press release for Solow's Nobel prize:
https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/1987/press.html

Perhaps this is the foundational paper:
https://www.econ.nyu.edu/user/debraj/Courses/Readings/Solow.pdf

But it doesn't mention technology, I think...

Okay, here's the second one mentioned:
https://faculty.georgetown.edu/mh5/class/econ489/Solow-Growth-Accounting.pdf

A 2001 Solow talk about the above:
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/6483616.pdf

Solow:
"In the year following my 1957 paper, I wrote another paper called “Investment and Technical Progress.” It was done for a conference at Stanford and took two years to get into print, but I think it was actually written in 1958. It seemed to me then that the 1957 model might have grossly understated the importance of old-fashioned capital investment as a vehicle forbringing new technology into productive operation: No amount of clever jet-engine technology could affect productivity unless airlines bought jet aircrafts—that sort of thing. The new paper produced a clean model in which all new technology had to be embodied in new gross investment before it could have any influence on production or productivity.

I liked the idea, but it went nowhere. Nobody ever suggested that it wasn’t entirely plausible. How could they? It is plausible, common sense even: If you don’t like the jet-engine example, how about numerically controlled machine tools? (You see the connection to the quality-of-capital problem.) The problem was not plausibility; it was that embodiment seemed to cut no empirical ice at all, and if you couldn’t find the embodiment effect leaving a significant trace in data, then it wasn’t really so interesting."

Last edited by K on Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 pm

K wrote:
Yes, the question is what best fosters technological development. It'll be a bit disheartening if the answer turns out to be war. The obvious case study that comes to mind is the Soviet Union vs. United States, especially in the Space Race.

The technological development in the US and Uk/EU alone since the fall of the Cold War finished has been astounding. War *might* accelerate tech devt slightly, but it’s not at all necessary. I suspect it diverts resources unnaturally and contrary to ordinary demand, so it probably reduces development overall, but that’s a separate point.

K 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 am

I guess we should make the possibly important distinction between overt war and cold war. A real war presumably diverts scientific effort from fundamental research to warfare development. The Manhattan Project is a startling example.
Cold wars are somewhat different.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm

I see gone bit off Topic
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Has it really? We’re discussing a lot of different things in here, it’s true, but ultimately all of this relates to the question of whether or not our world is getting worse. Or was it depression that you were hoping to discuss?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm

David wrote:
Has it really? We’re discussing a lot of different things in here, it’s true, but ultimately all of this relates to the question of whether or not our world is getting worse. Or was it depression that you were hoping to discuss?

More about the World being Just about Totally F**ked and the News Causing People getting Depression and Anxiety Problems

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:39 pm

^

Not much has changed since 1975 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXj_ruy5OgM

K 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
David wrote:

More about the World being Just about Totally F**ked and the News Causing People getting Depression and Anxiety Problems

Well, the alleged news biases have been discussed on previous pages of this thread (e.g. TP's post). I think just avoiding the news and most social media is a good idea in terms of protecting one's mental health (especially if you are a public figure, such as a footballer). [This is basically what I was arguing in the Pendlebury VPT thread:
http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1818233#1818233 ]

The contention that the world is totally f'd is in question. Pinker claims it's never been better. An examination of him and his claims is to come. (I am less than impressed by him.) To the extent that it is better, what has caused this? Technology, Solow's answer seems to be. What leads to technological progress?

K 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 am

Steven Pinker:

"The core of the book tries to document the reality of progress by plotting the major indicators of human well-being, including longevity, education, affluence, leisure time, and richness of experience, and shows that all of them have increased over time—contrary to the fatalistic, pessimistic view of the world that one can get from reading the news, which concentrates on salient negative events, as opposed to gradually improving trends. I should have added to the [above] list safety from accidents, safety from personal violence, and risk of death in war."

https://thebulletin.org/steven-pinker-real-risks-undeniable-progress11693

[In general, but here in particular, quotation does not imply approval of the quote or its utterer. It caught my attention because he mentions the news viewpoint.]

Pinker continues:

"[The book] then asks why these improvements have occurred. And since the book does not advocate any mysterious arc of progress that lifts us ever higher, it identifies the causes in the values of the Enlightenment, mainly the use of reason and science to improve human well-being. Overall, it’s a defense of the Enlightenment values, primarily reason, science, humanism, and progress."

[The caveat perhaps applies even more strongly. To come: criticism of Pinker's book.]
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:11 am

Elizabeth Kolbert on Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature (2011):

"The scope of Pinker’s attentions is almost entirely confined to Western Europe. There is little discussion in “The Better Angels of Our Nature” about trends in violence in Asia or Africa or South America. Indeed, even the United States poses difficulties for him. Murder rates in the U.S. are, over all, significantly higher than those in Europe, and in some parts of this country they’re so high as to be positively medieval. ...

"As Pinker’s views on African-Americans and Southerners probably indicate, there is much in “The Better Angels of Our Nature” that is confounding. Those developments which might seem to fit into his schema—a steady rise in the percentage of Britons who identify themselves as vegetarians, for instance—are treated in detail. Yet other episodes that one would think are more relevant to a history of violence are simply glossed over. Pinker is virtually silent about Europe’s bloody colonial adventures. (There’s not even an entry for “colonialism” in the book’s enormous index.) This is a pretty serious omission, both because of the scale of the slaughter and because of the way it troubles the distinction between savage and civilized. What does it reveal about the impulse control of the Spanish that, even as they were learning how to dispose of their body fluids more discreetly, they were systematically butchering the natives on two continents? Or about the humanitarianism of the British that, as they were turning away from such practices as drawing and quartering, they were shipping slaves across the Atlantic? And what does it say about the French that they liked to refer to their colonial project as la mission civilisatrice?

"When Pinker does take on aspects of European history that challenge his thesis, the results are, if anything, even more exasperating. ...

"Pinker’s math here is, at best, fishy. According to his own calculations, the Second World War was, proportionally speaking, the ninth-deadliest conflict of all time—in absolute terms, it was far and away the deadliest—yet the war lasted just six years. The Arab slave trade, which ranks as No. 3 on Pinker’s hit list, was an atrocity that took more than a millennium to unfold. The Mongol conquests, coming in at No. 2, spanned nearly a century.

"And along with the deadly weapons have come the deadly ideas. Though Pinker would like to pretend otherwise, Fascism and Communism are inventions that are every bit as modern as women’s rights and the eurozone. When you add Mao and Stalin to Hitler, the death toll from mid-twentieth-century atrocities rises to well over a hundred million. Before Pol Pot invented the killing fields, he studied in Paris, where he developed a taste not just for Marx but also for the classics of French literature."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/10/03/peace-in-our-time-elizabeth-kolbert
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:22 am

To me, the flaws raised in reviews of Pinker's books (quoted above and in posts to follow) really undermine his credibility. One might have hoped that he'd have learnt from the mistakes of the earlier book, but instead the impression is that he simply does not care and has wilfully repeated and amplified them in his latest book, perhaps seduced by the undeserved influence popular writing has given him.

Kolbert above questions his "fishy math". Elsewhere, Ada Palmer notes (without any concern) that "charts are easy to niggle at: a chart of declining war deaths per annum beginning in 1945 might look very different had it started in 1600". I think both are valid concerns. Yes, if his charts really mean something, they should not be dependent on some magic starting point like 1945 (and it is the author's responsibility to show the reader that it indeed is not dependent on that). From what Kolbert writes, Pinker normalized the death toll by population but not by timespan, when surely the relevant metric is the rate of deaths per capita per year. And those are just the non-technical problems...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 am

K, I intend this gently, but ... are you seriously trying to critique a book you haven’t actually read? Surprised
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 am

David, I'm not critiquing the literary style or structure. I'm critiquing the scientific reasoning and use of data (statistical methodology). In this regard, what is claimed in the books is not in dispute. Whether those are correct claims to make from a scientific perspective is in question. If people were claiming direct quotes and specific graphs were in the books, and he were claiming he was misquoted or no such graphs were in the books, then the terms of debate would be totally different and we'd need copies of the books just to begin the argument.
For example, it is a fact that he has chosen to look at war deaths (as a proportion of population) per event and not per time. That is not in dispute. (I know that Kolbert has not simply misunderstood Pinker or made a false claim, and that I have not simply misunderstood her, because Pinker's response to her shows it. I was leaving discussion of his response for a future post. You will no doubt be pleased to learn that I have read his response, though you may be less pleased to learn that I think it's rubbish.) The question is whether that is the logically correct or practically reliable thing to do. At the point of that question's raising, the book is neither necessary nor sufficient to address it.

Is that clear?

It's also worth questioning whether the actual claims requiring domain-specific expertise that he makes are correct. This raises an interesting question, namely, what the best way to do this is. If you think that merely reading the book is a good way to do this, then you must assume the reader is an expert in all of those domains (or at least one, in which case he can at least evaluate the relevant subset of claims). If one is not an expert, it's actually more useful to heed the words of reviewers who are experts in those areas. I am not an historian specializing in the Enlightenment, for example. If there is a professor who is such an expert, his review is more useful for evaluating Pinker's historical claims concerning the Enlightenment than my naive reading of Pinker's claims. If they disagree, who would you be more inclined to believe? The expert or the dilettante? The answer may partly depend on how much you respect that field of study and how much you respect the dilettante.

[David, do you actually own a copy of the earlier book? In some sense I hope you do not, because Pinker does not deserve the book sales. But it would be useful if you do, because Pinker in one of his counterattacks does refer to some pages in it.
And also, David, with or without your own copy, you have read the earlier book, though not the latter, so if you think Kolbert et al. have misrepresented him more generally (surely she has not directly misquoted him), you should comment on it.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18   

Jump to: