Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The question about Buckley is or isn't he coaching better has been answered
Years gone by he has been critiqued on not making movies during games to halt the impact of oppostion players
Saturday night he made a change. He sent Mayne to McGovern and it turned out to be a great move.
Now I'm not saying it was his decision to make the move but he is the coach and the buck stops with him so he's ultimately responsible
Whether he is actually a better coach or has better people around him who he entrusts more is debatable but at the end of the day I would say the question has been firmly answered in the YES column
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 pm

I've always rated Bucks as a great coach, so my answer to the thread's question is No.

My sole reason for rating Bucks as a great coach, even in previous years when we have performed poorly, was that Bucks always spoke sense and carried himself with such class, that I couldn't help but be impressed by him, and I believed that given the right resources and supportive environment, he would lead us to success. Maybe it was blind faith, or hero worship on my behalf, but I always envisaged him holding a Collingwood Premiership Cup aloft.

In previous years, he had to contend with a divided and unstable football department, which finally, after last year's review, seems to have been restructured for the better. Maybe he himself also changed his methods for the better. Modern football success, more than ever before, seems to be the product of a complex set of structures, processes and individuals, most of which, we supporters are totally unaware.

So none of us on 'the outside' can ever really know who is responsible for our team's success or failures. When we are losing the coach gets the blame and when we are winning he gets the accolades.

In any event, I feel honoured that we have such a class character in Bucks as our coach. Long may his coaching reign continue, and several Premiership victories come our way!
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 pm

He is getting more shrewd on match days and I like it.

Hutchings tagged Sidey out of the game in Round 17 but this time kept moving him between half forward and the middle which got him off the chain.

Also liked how we sent Mayne to McGovern after qtr time to give him an opponent to worry about.

I felt in years gone past that Bucks would just let the game drift if things were not going to plan but now seems to make decisive positional changes to try and shake things up. We are not as predictable as we were in past years.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 am

Bucks was interviewed by Neroli Meadows, Sarah Jones and Kelli Underwood on the Fox Footy show "On The Mark" last week.

It's definitely worth a watch if you have a spare 25 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0g-hKNMK0

K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 am

Or, if you have only a spare 25 seconds, see QM67's summary: http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1864475#1864475
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 am

Johnno75 wrote:
He is getting more shrewd on match days and I like it.

Hutchings tagged Sidey out of the game in Round 17 but this time kept moving him between half forward and the middle which got him off the chain.

Also liked how we sent Mayne to McGovern after qtr time to give him an opponent to worry about.

The half-time move of WHE brought him into the game after a quiet start, shame about hitting the posts

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Jezza wrote:
Bucks was interviewed by Neroli Meadows, Sarah Jones and Kelli Underwood on the Fox Footy show "On The Mark" last week.

It's definitely worth a watch if you have a spare 25 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0g-hKNMK0

Thanks Jezza.

Bucks is absolute class.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:56 am

From 'shambles' to September
How the Magpies got back on track, with some help from Metallica

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/from-shambles-to-september-20180914-p503wc.html

J. Niall wrote:
In 2018, the playing group would shut out all extraneous matters. They would ignore the media and social media. ...

The full version of the team theme, as Collingwood’s robust defender Brayden Maynard explained, was ‘‘nothing else matters but us’’, those final two words were added to the Metallica song, which became a fixture at home games. ‘‘Nothing else matters but us’’ applied not simply to dealing with external matters, but also with how they would play.

They would play their game.

‘‘It’s probably been one of the biggest differences,’’ said Maynard.

The motto matched the on-field approach. ‘‘So we’ve gone into games worrying about us, not really worrying about the other team. We have a look at the other team and how they play but we go out there – and everyone has strengths, they have to shine – so everyone just brings their strengths.

‘‘It came from the coaches and I think that’s what Bucks has changed as well, focusing on more us going out there.’’

Maynard’s account of what changed at Collingwood is as forthright as his attack on the ball. The defender felt that the Magpies were ‘‘a shambles’’ in 2017, when they didn’t really have a (defensive) game style. He sheeted much of the improvement in behind-the-ball method to new defensive coach Justin Longmuir, whose arrival, with Garry Hocking (midfield) and Matthew Boyd (development) followed the forensic all-club review by Walsh and interim chief executive Peter Murphy.

In Maynard’s telling, Longmuir ‘‘really put a stamp on team defence’’, which had been the main focus of change. ‘‘The offence will look after itself.’’ Asked about how the Pies had played in years past, Maynard added: ‘‘I just felt like we were a shambles. Like we didn’t really have a game plan, we didn’t really know what we were doing. We weren’t really organised.

‘‘But this year, with Justin Longmuir coming in, he’s really told everyone that we’ve got to be organised behind the ball, you’ve got to expect the worst. So he’s come in and he’s helped a lot.’’

But the assistant coaches, new and old, would not have impacted upon results had Buckley not changed his tendency to micro-manage.
It was a weakness that Walsh’s review highlighted, recommending more delegation and empowerment of staff.

Buckley, whose AFL career has been a journey in self-discovery, told the board words to the effect, ‘‘I fight myself every day not to try to do everyone’s job.''

‘‘He has changed a lot. He’s a lot less serious now. I think he told us the other day he’d read this book about it’s okay to be disliked if you’re being yourself or something like that. He was telling us about that the other day and he’s just being himself.

‘‘I feel like he was trying to make everyone happy all the time, and it just put a lot of stress on his shoulders. So he’s just come back to himself and us and nothing else matters, which is the motto we’ve gone by all year.

‘‘He’s actually more of a father figure this year than he has been. He’s really focused on the relationships with the players a lot more, where I feel like the last couple of years he’s just kind of gone through the motions. But this year, especially, he’s become like that father figure and we can lean on him whenever we want – hard times, happy times. He’s always there for a conversation.’’

[T]he Collingwood review-then-revival saw the players place greater store in enjoying themselves. Fun became the new black, with new fitness chief Kevin White jazzing up tedious rehab sessions. Maynard noted the increase in social gatherings, including that most old-school of traditions – the post-game beer at the club. ‘‘We come back, we have dinner, we have a few beers with each other, depending on how many days we have off before the next game.’’

K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 am

^ Articles like this one tend to give me mixed feelings. First, we can be more confident that there has been a revival once we've actually won the premiership (winning a final will be a good start). And even then... (It might be a big achievement because of the injury list... but how do we know the injury list isn't the club's own fault?) Second, why was it "shambles" in previous years? Why was there no fun? Why did it take so many years for someone to learn not to micro-manage?
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am

Was just about to post a link to that article, I think it should give pause to those posters looking to have smoke blown up their arse for 'sticking by Bucks', which actually amounted to shouting down reasonably held concerns that were evidently shared by at least one squad member.

‘‘I just felt like we were a shambles. Like we didn’t really have a game plan, we didn’t really know what we were doing. We weren’t really organised."

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Very candid interview by Maynard. After describing the game plan as a "shambles", it's evident now why supporters were struggling to see or understand what the game plan was in past years. Goes to show that the supporters were rightfully concerned about the direction of the club during its struggles.

Seems the review conducted by Walsh and Murphy was the most important thing we've done in the past five years. At least it identified our strengths, weaknesses and the way to better the football club.

Bucks' demeanour has changed for the better and the whole club seems more relaxed this year. It's very reminiscent to what we saw with Richmond last year after a horror 2016 season.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:29 pm

you guys! to the ones whinging about the shambles comments, would you rather the stock "'nothings changed we just finally got it together, we all understood the gameplan, even if the likes of Einstein had no idea what we were doing!

who cares? here we are! yippeeeee,

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 am

So Maynard wasn't supposed to tell everyone he was playing on Toby either. If only our forward line was that straight-shooting.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:34 am

Credit where it's due. After a few tough and uncertain years, it's fantastic to see Bucks leading this team into a preliminary final.

He'll be a serious contender for coach of the year along with Simpson and Goodwin.

Pie as a Kite 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:38 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Was just about to post a link to that article, I think it should give pause to those posters looking to have smoke blown up their arse for 'sticking by Bucks', which actually amounted to shouting down reasonably held concerns that were evidently shared by at least one squad member.

‘‘I just felt like we were a shambles. Like we didn’t really have a game plan, we didn’t really know what we were doing. We weren’t really organised."

Contrast this with WHE's take (on the CFC website from an interview in the rooms after last night's game) where he said last year 'we had the game plan and the structure but we just weren't getting it done on the field'.

I wouldn't take Maynard's comments too literally - you can read too much into offhand comments like that. I think the word 'shambles' is a bit over dramatic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 29 of 35   

Jump to: