Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie steps in it, again!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissappointing Eddie.

Nothing else to say Sad

Adz 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Will he stepped down?
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:41 pm

E wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
DT56 wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
DT56 wrote:
ohh boy ... if it's Collingwood it makes news

The sooner the indigenous population learns to take the piss (like the rest of the country does) the better

end of story

Mate I agree. I could tell you some stories about racism that my old man copped when he was younger, but he laughed it off and moved on. Maybe us wogs have thicker skin. Better not say to much I might get attacked by the self loathing Anglo brigade that resides on nicks, you know the ones I'm talking about.

Same mate .. unfortunately our thin skinned indigenous population have made this into a science ... I'm not PC, I'll tell it how it is ..

Mate I'm the same, the ones that are going all crazy about a few words on nicks have that Anglo guilt. The guilt that comes from being descended from the people that perpetrated the crimes against the indigenous Australians and then were racists towards the ethnic people when they started migrating here in the 50s.

As I have said before I don't have this guilt bred into me therefore I feel no need to give a second look at the PC bulls&@t the others peddle on here, thinking they know what it's like to be affected by racism. To them is it a cause, to some of us we have lived it, but they know better than us because they can write nice persuasive arguments or so they think.

I kind of get you, but I kind of don't. This isn't about being PC. Its just a respect thing. You might be onto something though because I will tell you that the victims of racial abuse for some reason do tend to feel free to play the race card (or as you say "not sorry about being PC). I wonder if its similar to the irony that most child abusers were themselves victims of child abuse. I wonder if that is something you should be celebrating and patting each other on the back for.

And I guarantee you, i'm as qualified as you are to discuss race.

I still think you are missing my point. Words are words, they are nothing but words. Actions are different. The people making a big deal out of this are of white Anglo-Saxon decent. They have family members somewhere back up their family tree that were racist, so they over compensate because they have guilt for what their family did generations ago.

My point is we are living in 2013, everybody can vote, everyone has the same rights, the sins of the past are becoming less relevant today. People are less aware that certain words have different meaning to other people. Kids today don't know what things mean in the context of 100 years ago even 50 years ago. We need to get over this crap and move on and see everyone as an Australian everyone should be treated the same, there should be no indigenous round, no b&@llshit round for anything. The more we pigeonhole people into race, the longer the problem will persist. We are all Australian that is all we should be, proud of who we are and what we have done as a nation.

When you can call someone an ape without it being taken out of context, that is the day we will have moved on from this crap.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 pm

For Eddie it was all about PR management, I guess. Nothing wrong with focusing on that, but perhaps important to remember that what someone says or does and what someone thinks in the business world doesn't always correspond.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Adz wrote:
Will he stepped down?

No.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:44 pm

E wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
Redlight wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
From Harry O'Brien
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rkhm62

It doesn't matter if you are a school teacher, a doctor or even the president of my football club I will not tolerate racism, nor should we as a society. Im extremely disappointed with Eddie's comments and do not care what position he holds, I disagree with what came out his mouth this morning on radio. To me Eddie's comments are reflective of common attitudes that we as a society face. To me Australia is very casual with racism, I would argue that many people in this country would not think what Eddie or the 13yr old girl said last friday is 'bad'. In my opinion race relations in this country is systematically a national disgrace and we have a long way to go to reach a more harmonious and empathetic society.

I'm a big fan of Harry's but that is a disgrace.

I would've expected him to condemn the comment but stress that Eddie is not racist and perhaps mention everything that Eddie and the Club have done for Harry and all the players, including the indigenous ones.

To throw Eddie under the bus like that is an act of terrible disloyalty. An unfortunate example of Harry promoting himself and his image, while not being prepared to support people who have supported him.

Weak.

That's Harry for you. If he put as much effort in playing football, he would be a superstar.

He is a superstar. One of our best and most talented players. About the only player we have left with line breaking speed and penetration. He is also a premiership player (bow heads for a moment).

FFS, he is allowed to call it as he sees it. Anyone could see how eddies comments could be interpreted as racist. Harry does not have to be an apologist......... Imagine if people told your family that every time they heard a racist slur they not only had to cop it, but they had to defend the person who said it.

Silly concept.

Agreed mate.

I think we all know Eddie meant nothing sinister, but of course you can easily see how they can be interpreted as racially insensitive or racist. It was really a stupid comment to make given the incidents of the past few days.

As for Harry, he's a very outspoken individual and I have nothing but respect for that. He stands up for what he believes in, and if he chooses to comment on the issue that his decision and he should be able to give his opinion and express himself. Just because someone is a sportsmen doesn't mean they are not allowed to have opinions of what happens in the world.
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:45 pm

magpie mal wrote:
E wrote:

My father also had thick skin. But guess what? Over time, he went from preferring the company of skips to preferring the company of wogs. He didn't even realize that he did it. I guess his thick skin just preferred to relax.

If you really did suffer from the whole <SNIP> thing, I cant believe you don't get it. Maybe you should try and find out how your dad really felt......

Are you implying European Immigrants aren't the same as the rest of the Australian society? I find they are no different to anyone else, just not towards others with the same heritage.. Even though that does tend to waver when discussing different regions then their own in their home land.

NO, not at all. I am not for one minute suggesting that Europeans are pure (because as a kid I was myself shocked that the Italians of my father's vintage seemed to harbor more hatred for the newly immigrating Asians than anyone else).

Instead, I was implying (or rather stating) that over a period of 20 years, my father realized that he had subconsciously started to take comfort from being with people who never mentioned that he was different.

Thirty years on, and the issues that confronted European immigrants have been passed on to the Indians, the Asians and now the muslims. Of course, during the entire period, indigenous Australians have never been out of the spotlight. Sad.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh LOL. How does hypocrisy feel now Eddie and your loyal band of followers at the club?

I will be shocked if the same people on Nick's Racism thread that weren't screaming "racist" at that little 13 year old Pies supporter will not now turn around and call for Eddie to resign. He should of course.

The little girl's ape comment was a spur of the moment thing (like calling Judd a mongrel or worse, Milne a rapist - actually Milne has been much harder done by than anything Adam Goodes has been called). Eddie's reference to Goodes and King Kong was premeditated and tasteless.

Resign now Eddie. It's more than bloody time!!!
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm

LOL

It's funny
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

schuey07 wrote:
E wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
DT56 wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
DT56 wrote:
ohh boy ... if it's Collingwood it makes news

The sooner the indigenous population learns to take the piss (like the rest of the country does) the better

end of story

Mate I agree. I could tell you some stories about racism that my old man copped when he was younger, but he laughed it off and moved on. Maybe us wogs have thicker skin. Better not say to much I might get attacked by the self loathing Anglo brigade that resides on nicks, you know the ones I'm talking about.

Same mate .. unfortunately our thin skinned indigenous population have made this into a science ... I'm not PC, I'll tell it how it is ..

Mate I'm the same, the ones that are going all crazy about a few words on nicks have that Anglo guilt. The guilt that comes from being descended from the people that perpetrated the crimes against the indigenous Australians and then were racists towards the ethnic people when they started migrating here in the 50s.

As I have said before I don't have this guilt bred into me therefore I feel no need to give a second look at the PC bulls&@t the others peddle on here, thinking they know what it's like to be affected by racism. To them is it a cause, to some of us we have lived it, but they know better than us because they can write nice persuasive arguments or so they think.

I kind of get you, but I kind of don't. This isn't about being PC. Its just a respect thing. You might be onto something though because I will tell you that the victims of racial abuse for some reason do tend to feel free to play the race card (or as you say "not sorry about being PC). I wonder if its similar to the irony that most child abusers were themselves victims of child abuse. I wonder if that is something you should be celebrating and patting each other on the back for.

And I guarantee you, i'm as qualified as you are to discuss race.

I still think you are missing my point. Words are words, they are nothing but words. Actions are different. The people making a big deal out of this are of white Anglo-Saxon decent. They have family members somewhere back up their family tree that were racist, so they over compensate because they have guilt for what their family did generations ago.

My point is we are living in 2013, everybody can vote, everyone has the same rights, the sins of the past are becoming less relevant today. People are less aware that certain words have different meaning to other people. Kids today don't know what things mean in the context of 100 years ago even 50 years ago. We need to get over this crap and move on and see everyone as an Australian everyone should be treated the same, there should be no indigenous round, no b&@llshit round for anything. The more we pigeonhole people into race, the longer the problem will persist. We are all Australian that is all we should be, proud of who we are and what we have done as a nation.

When you can call someone an ape without it being taken out of context, that is the day we will have moved on from this crap.

Maybe after we have had an aboriginal prime minister and an equivalent representation of aborigines are poor, rich, powerful and movie stars (as opposed to the demographic now), then maybe that could begin to occur. Until then, people carry baggage. You can choose to respect that and be sensitive .... or not. Its not really that hard. a little education I find helps a lot......

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

makri wrote:
Eddie couln't break out the knee pads quick enough and get down to the Swans' rooms on Friday to get his face on TV with Goodes and then he goes and does this. Just shows you how two faced this man is.

It's Time! He'll go with Buckley anyway within the next season or so. Why not go now?
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Oh LOL. How does hypocrisy feel now Eddie and your loyal band of followers at the club?

I will be shocked if the same people on Nick's Racism thread that weren't screaming "racist" at that little 13 year old Pies supporter will not now turn around and call for Eddie to resign. He should of course.

The little girl's ape comment was a spur of the moment thing (like calling Judd a mongrel or worse, Milne a rapist - actually Milne has been much harder done by than anything Adam Goodes has been called). Eddie's reference to Goodes and King Kong was premeditated and tasteless.

Resign now Eddie. It's more than bloody time!!!

You should read my posts Jack. From Friday and today. I agree with you, although I don't know if it was pre-meditated. I tend to think it revealed that he isn't as sensitive to the issue as he made out he was on Friday.

Of course he could just be a dumb ass from Broady who did well because he stole a bus with Dennis Banks and Darren Millane back in 1991.

lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Harry O has completely forgot who the paymaster is? Too bad his consistency with Twitter is not displayed on the field.
Carro 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Political correctness gone mad. I can't help but feel like a bit of Karma though for Eddie, who referred to one of our 13 year old fans as a scumbag and that he hopes the police deal with her.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Ed wasn't being racist but he has stupidly put a remark out there that can and will be taken as racist and that is basically a cock up and now he has to take his lumps and come out and atone for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22   

Jump to: