Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Ponsford Times.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good points again.
I'd say that about half of the Cheer Squad doesn't ever Chant ~ they cheer, as in for a goal, but not at any other time or for any other reason.
Same with using the equipment ~ the flags, etc ~ about the same number, possibly even more, won't use anything, ever.
They're footyheads, but not necessarily doing justice to the Cheer Squad, which is on about other things, too.
As for the Run-thru, yes, that's an interesting one.
Few Cheer Squad members help to make it each week, sometimes leaving us so under pressure & exhausted from the too big an effort required.
I think that the players appreciate it, but as for the crowd, I often wonder where half of them are .... probably outside having a smoko!
It's different these days eg the non-smoking venue rule, the Reserves not playing as the lead-up match, reserve seating, so people are more casual about timing.
The Run-thru serves a few purposes I guess, incl as part of the game day ritual; it's also a big money-spinner for the Club of course.
As for the trouble up the back .... the Club are mindful that the Bay needs more support and so that'll be happening.
For most of us, following the Pies and being there with them, is a lifelong lifestyle .... sometimes I think I'd love to have an exorcism, cos it's killing me Exclamation Wink Exclamation Wink
There's been some talk on Nick's about having a Standing area behind the goals ~ I'm totally with that.
I think that it'd add heaps to the atmosphere, love to see it happen. Don't know that it will though, as presumably it'd mean less revenue for the Club, coming from the loss of seating charges.
I still say that age isn't necessarily what really matters in the Cheer Squad; it's more to do with attitude ~ if Cheer Squad members don't chant or contribute in some way, it's to do with their outlook more so than anything else. ho hum

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:44 am

fb, is that really you?! Shocked Wink

question for all - does such a 'problem' exist at telstra dome or is it something that is more evident at the cavernous mcg?

AGE Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Greek Style wrote:
So this is how Liberty Dies......

With thunderous applause.

We once meant something.

A working class club for working class people.

Club and supporters in bond and in tune.

Now that means nothing anymore.

Now all we stand for is the CORPORATE DOLLAR.

Nothing else.

Your posts were intriguing till you started quoting Episode 3.

BTW, what a great thread on "CS Chants".

How come every post of late ends up with the " Sack MM, X & Y, 1 Premiership in 50 years, we should have stayed at Vic Park, most money, best facilities etc" (yes, I've said some of those things, but only in the appropriate threads).

Poor Ol' Joff only wanted to get a chant going.
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:37 pm

Happy to be fairly queried.
As for the MCG, it was the People's Ground, but that's just memory now.
Technically, the ground still belongs to the people of Victoria ~ hence the name I guess. But in many ways it ain't ours any more.
When it was, you could go anywhere (except into the MCC Members part, and who out of us would want to go there!).
Gone are the days when you could walk under the Stands right around to the MCC area & back, meet/sit/stand wherever, no worries.
Now, it's so bad, you can't go one Bay without being checked for the right ticket.
The crowds were just as big ~ it's just that these days everything is packaged-up and we're locked-into this or that.
Locked-in here and locked-out there ~ that's what I mean about the MCG not being the people's ground any more
The other big change that's occurred of course, is with the Sthn Stand ~ it used to rock! It had real atmosphere, real character.
Perfect acoustics for crowds, but is that the case with the new one?
Yes it's modern & comfy and all that, but come on now, where's the magic in it, it's gone. Bland. Give me the old one any day!
Docklands? Yes, it echos, better acoustics, it's a better venue for that.
But it's also a namby pamby stadium, that's what I think when the roof closes! How soft!
It's also owned privately, by a small consortium of businessmen ~ direct profit margins from us into their bulging pockets!

fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:50 pm
Post subject: Re: The Ponsford Times.Reply with quote

joffa corfe wrote:
We're all in agreeance that the Ponsford match day chanting could be better. In order to establish how we are to become better. I reckon it's time we all got together with ideas.
Keep the boots away..Bring in ideas...

Im happy for anyone to chair this discussion if they want..If we really wanted, this topic could be solved over night.
Words wont solve the problem..we need soldeirs on match day in the Ponny stand... so please keep that in mind.
Lets fire away!!

There will be people who for whatever reason disagree with the motives and suggestions in this topic..Please if you do disagree leave the topic to those who are concerned.
Im genuinely excited at what this topic can produce.

AGE, sorry, I thought that the thread was about the concern that the chanting could be better and HOW to do that.
My little point is that to understand WHAT is going on, there needs to be an understanding first, about WHY.
I didn't understand that it meant to get on Nick's with new chants, sorry. I'll switch off now.
ps I've come-up with chants over the years, but for lots of reasons, they died-off, like so much else!

STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:05 pm

football is a game that 2 many things can happen while the qtrs is going.You could be trying to start the chant and someone can take the mark of the year or do whatever.
The chants need to be done prior to the game, qtr time, half time, 3 qtr time or when a goal has been kicked when there is a break in play.
If the whole crowd did the slow collingwood chant was going prior to the game(after the club songs) when the team do the final warm up or toss the coin this would give the players and supporters a buzz surely.Maybe you could try and get that one up and running joff.
my 2 cents worth.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:20 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
It's a great lifestyle following the Pies..ya wouldn't be dead for quids.

Loving every minute of it! Wink

Go woods!

Well said Joffa. I think your comments in answer to and support of Lesley are great. The key is how we change the supporter culture at the 'Pies. You are absolutely right, we need to develop a real passion on game day. Every Collingwood member and supporter should be responsible to cheer. Of course the success of the players on field does lift the spirits of the fans, but then it's a Catch 22 isn't it: we also need to instill passion into the players from the stands (I'd love to say terraces). Is there any more word on whether the MCG is going to create a standing room section? The very idea of sitting makes supporters passive. Smile
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 am

Well put and thanks Jack.
CAAS 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 am

the only standing room area you will ever find at the G is up the back. they will not take seats out. why would they.

if you want to increase the atmosphere and make it like no other, everybody needs to be actively involved. whether you are 65yrs or 5yrs, you have a voice. Nobody knows how to fix the problem and to be honest i dont think it can be fixed.
I did like stocka's idea though of the long slow collingwood chant during the coin toss to get the adrenalin flowing. 1 that we up the back are using is the "We are the magpies, the mighty magpies, and we are mental, and we are mad. We are the loyalist, football supporters, the world has ever had" repeat as often as possible getting louder at the rendition.

Whilst you are supporting a game like AFL, there is too much happening at any 1 time so cheering will only be done by the majority when a goal is kicked or a break in play.

we are the loyalist, football supporters
the world has ever had.
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:24 am

At the toss of the coin is one of the best times to be doing that chant, luv the idea Cool
As for seats being taken-out for extra Standing Room in the goals area, maybe the only way it'll happen is if there's extra Sponsorship involved to cover the lost annual revenue.
But as soon as a Sponsor gets involved, it starts to get complicated.
We'll be hamstrung, cos you can't be seen to be doing anything that might 'upset the Sponsors'!
Ah well .... let's keep plugging away, let's hope something good will come from all of this!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:55 am

fence-banger wrote:
At the toss of the coin is one of the best times to be doing that chant, luv the idea Cool
As for seats being taken-out for extra Standing Room in the goals area, maybe the only way it'll happen is if there's extra Sponsorship involved to cover the lost annual revenue.
But as soon as a Sponsor gets involved, it starts to get complicated.
We'll be hamstrung, cos you can't be seen to be doing anything that might 'upset the Sponsors'!
Ah well .... let's keep plugging away, let's hope something good will come from all of this!

not sure how long the campaign is for but most of you will have seen the slurpee ads and billboards at richmond station in particular. is there something we can do to align with the overall concept - the passion of the fans/supporters.

fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:56 pm

I use the Clifton Hill line, so go through Jolimont, not Richmond Station.

Can you tell us a little about what you've seen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: