Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2012 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be a long few weeks without Big Ben for the Steelers, and apart from Leftwich getting hurt as well, his windup is just ridiculously long. Their defence did extremely well to only concede a couple of field goals under the circumstances, the Ravens' only touchdown coming from a punt return.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Redskins withstand a second half Cowboys comeback. Preferred the first half of the match, where Washington was very good, and the Cowboys very bad, compared to the second half where both teams were ordinary and the Redskins were trying ways to cough up a 25 point lead. RG3 is a beast, but at some point the offensive line need to start protecting him. No running game means that Romo has to throw the ball far too often, and get the blame for turnovers more than he should, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like Romo.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Meanwhile, the refs singlehandedly brought the Texans back into the game against the Lions in the earlier game. On the other hand, I have never seen a better exemplar for the rule that you keep on the play until the whistle. Clearly, the runner was down by contact - but if he gets up and keeps running and the refs don't blow the play dead, it's usually a good idea not to leave a 550lb defensive linesman as the only chaser for the next 70 yards. Still, the decision (and the Lions losing their cool for the next few plays) cost the Lions a 24:14 lead in the third.

Gripping, if slightly inept, stuff in OT, too (two missed field goals, either of which would have won the match; and Stafford picked a great time to throw an INT, after being quite outstanding for much of the game). It's amazing how receivers go cold dropping the first downs that would set up the winning field-goal, too.

I'm looking forward to watching RGIII, so far I've only seen highlights. Call me unsophisticated, but I love to see the QB throw for big plays, even if the team loses! Less so if it's A-Rod, of course.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I'm looking forward to watching RGIII, so far I've only seen highlights. Call me unsophisticated, but I love to see the QB throw for big plays, even if the team loses! Less so if it's A-Rod, of course.

The thing about RG3 is that he can actually throw the ball as well, so he's not just a running QB ala Tebow - his decision making needs work though, Garcon made one of his throws look a lot better than it was.

I must admit, I used to be all about passing QBs, but I think I've been getting an appreciation for the running game lately, a good, hard fought series of running plays is great to watch.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Usually the best offenses have a balanced attacked between the run and pass, and those that can set up an productive run take immense pressure off the QB because the defense has to respect the run and can't blitz as much.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Well, Eli pantsed my Packers today. The Giants were just too powerful.

Very much enjoyed the 49ers sorting out the 'Aints. Kapernik looked pretty good for the most part (1 INT but that can happen to anyone). Big question will Alex Smith get back into the starting line-up?
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 am

Saw only bits and pieces of the 49ers and Giants wins. Checked out the highlights of the Steelers' loss to Cleveland... eight turnover by the Steelers

Also watched the first half of the Grey Cup through a dodgy stream. Blowout to the Argonauts. After you spend time watching the comparatively rigid and risk averse NFL, the faster pace of the CFL can be a bit disorienting.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

OK. I've just used ESPN's play-offs machine (see http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine ) and have the following as my predicted final standings, with 5 rounds of the regular season to go:

NFC
Atlanta
San Francisco
Chicago
NY Giants
Green Bay
Seattle

AFC
Houston
Baltimore
New England
Denver
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh

That's not good news for the Packers, who were just whipped by Eli's boys and would have to play them at the Giants' home in wild-card round. You'd have to back the Giants in that one - and I couldn't see Seattle troubling the Bears at Soldier Field. In the AFC, it would be the new Colts QB (no 1 draft pick Andrew Luck) travelling to the home of his predecessor (future H of F'er, Peyton Manning) at Mile High Stadium and Pittsburgh travelling to New England.

Let's give it 5 weeks and we'll find out just how hopelessly wrong I am!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:10 pm

After doing my tips (using the link you provided) the end result was:

AFC;

1st Seed - Houston
2nd Seed - Denver (well done Peyton)

Wildcard Games (AFC);

Steelers (6th) vs Ravens (3rd)
Colts (5th) vs Patriots (4th)

NFC;

1st Seed - 49ers (I swear I was being objective Laughing)
2nd Seed - Bears

Wildcard Games (NFC);

Cowboys (6th) vs Falcons (3rd)
Packers (5th) vs Giants (4th)...sorry P4S but if the Packers play any of the NFC teams listed above, bar the Cowboys, they're starting their pre-season early Wink

blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:45 am

I had the same outcome as Pies4shaw, except with the Broncos as 3rd seed - I reckon they'll win four of their fives games, dropping the one at Baltimore.

For some reason I'm still not ruling out the Bengals or Redskins for a wildcard place in their respective conferences, but they'd need to have a stellar run home.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:03 pm

So, Brees' famous streak has come to an end: a TD pass thrown in 54 consecutive matches. But not today (well, not unless you count the one called back for offensive pass interference or the other one which should have been caught but wasn't). 5 interceptions instead. And a 23:13 New Orleans loss to Atlanta (who are now 11 wins, 1 loss).
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
OK. I've just used ESPN's play-offs machine (see http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine ) and have the following as my predicted final standings, with 5 rounds of the regular season to go:

NFC
Atlanta
San Francisco
Chicago
NY Giants
Green Bay
Seattle

AFC
Houston
Baltimore
New England
Denver
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh

That's not good news for the Packers, who were just whipped by Eli's boys and would have to play them at the Giants' home in wild-card round. You'd have to back the Giants in that one - and I couldn't see Seattle troubling the Bears at Soldier Field. In the AFC, it would be the new Colts QB (no 1 draft pick Andrew Luck) travelling to the home of his predecessor (future H of F'er, Peyton Manning) at Mile High Stadium and Pittsburgh travelling to New England.

Let's give it 5 weeks and we'll find out just how hopelessly wrong I am!

Nah we'll be right because the da Bears still suck.We own them in the tiebreaker.With the events of earlier in the season, I wouldn't mind facing Seattle in the playoffs.Remember Hasselback from 10 years ago " We want the ball and we're gonna score" or words to that effect Laughing

I fear only the 49ers and the Giants in the NFC and no one in the AFC. Atlanta have used up all their luck and will choke in the playoffs like last time.Hopefully Jennings,Matthews,Woodson and Shields will be right to go in a few weeks.GO PACK GO
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 am

Well, YFE - looks like you were right. I had my doubts about Cutler (I class him as a pretender) but I didn't really expect the Bears to lose to Seattle this morning. If the Pack stands up for the rest of the season, they are now in the box seat to have at least a home final in week one.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

I can understand a team copping a safety - it happens. Can't understand what the 49ers were thinking with that play that coughed up that touchdown against the Rams. But credit to the Rams, after several very bad years they're turned the corner and are now competitive against most sides.

Jets benched Sanchez and used McElroy to beat the Cardinals 7-6. Steelers with Hatch at QB won at Baltimore with last second field goal. Bengals beat Chargers, so Ravens lead at top of the division back to two games. Lions cough up another lead, this time going down to the Colts,

Cowboys won because the Eagles have nothing when it comes to passing defense, and Romo could toss it around without too much worry - he passed Aikman's record for most passing TDs by a Cowboys QB. Foles looked OK for Philly, which will be of consolation I suppose..
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 am

Don't fricken talk about that fricken stupid play against the Rams. Unbelievably bad call made by the coaches. Run the ball and then punt it and make the Rams move the length of the field angainst the 49ers defence, which they hadn't made any inroads with all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13   

Jump to: