Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies punish Port - All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
My sister is the complete opposite to me in so many ways she's university educated, has 4 kids and lives in a big house in Eltham.

While I'm a lazy bastard, single and live in Morwell.

However bizarrely while she isn't Collingwood hardcore enough to come on sites like this she is surprisingly quiet intense in her support of the pies in the few games she goes to each year.

Interestingly in a text she sent me today she commented on how poorly we played against Port.

I find this interesting as I think it shows and reminds us all that how even casual Collingwood observers can go and watch us play and know that something isn't quite right with how we're going about it.

Right now it feels to me like we are relying to much on effort and individual brillance to get us over the line in place of cohesive football of an entire team.

This is Buckley's challenge and he has a season to fix it.

I didn't watch the whole game but I actually thought it looked like a genuine team effort. There were a couple of periods where Port got a hold of us but we finally had some run back, had some pressure back. Our forward 50 efficiency for mine is our biggest issue. Even in the Bummers game we were ahead on inside 50s at half time and I think had just 1 less scoring shot and yet were 5 goals down.

I really thought we held up well in the last quarter too. Everytime we needed someone to step up they did. Have to remember our backline is insanely inexperienced and yet they are holding teams really well - even when our mids aren't performing.

Compare how we played against Port to even our game against the Crows.... or better still the game against the Bummers... chalk and cheese.

No question Bucks has made some mistakes but he's also performed really well at times too. I'm excited for the future. I still believe in the interests of the development of this group making the finals is a must. We may not win one but we must get there and experience it.

There isn't a chance in hell that the coaching staff will feel like making the finals would shield our deficiencies. They've been laid bare over the past 6 weeks. We've had a horror run with injuries, made some poor selection decisions but given game time to so many youngsters it's not funny.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 am

Yea, that's pretty much the way I saw the game on the ground. Bucks is a good game day coach and much better tactically than MM, but he is still learning the coaching caper from a strategic point of view. Can't imagine Bucks would have taken a tall defender past his use by date like Leigh Brown and turned him into a match winner power forward/second ruck. That was the genius of Malthouse. Would love a combination of Buckley and Malthouse as coach and I guess that was what Eddie was trying to implement at the club, but failed to achieve due to Malthouse's ego. Till Bucks acquires that ability to instinctively play players in their natural positions and structure the team in such a way to produce a winning combination, we just have to put up with some of the mistakes we see on the field.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:43 am

GoWoodsmen wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
My sister is the complete opposite to me in so many ways she's university educated, has 4 kids and lives in a big house in Eltham.

However bizarrely while she isn't Collingwood hardcore enough to come on sites like this she is surprisingly quiet intense in her support of the pies in the few games she goes to each year.

Interestingly in a text she sent me today she commented on how poorly we played against Port.

I find this interesting as I think it shows and reminds us all that how even casual Collingwood observers can go and watch us play and know that something isn't quite right with how we're going about it.

Right now it feels to me like we are relying to much on effort and individual brillance to get us over the line in place of cohesive football of an entire team.

I didn't watch the whole game but I actually thought it looked like a genuine team effort. There were a couple of periods where Port got a hold of us but we finally had some run back, had some pressure back. Our forward 50 efficiency for mine is our biggest issue. Even in the Bummers game we were ahead on inside 50s at half time and I think had just 1 less scoring shot and yet were 5 goals down.

I really thought we held up well in the last quarter too. Everytime we needed someone to step up they did. Have to remember our backline is insanely inexperienced and yet they are holding teams really well - even when our mids aren't performing.

Compare how we played against Port to even our game against the Crows.... or better still the game against the Bummers... chalk and cheese.

No question Bucks has made some mistakes but he's also performed really well at times too. I'm excited for the future. I still believe in the interests of the development of this group making the finals is a must. We may not win one but we must get there and experience it.

There isn't a chance in hell that the coaching staff will feel like making the finals would shield our deficiencies. They've been laid bare over the past 6 weeks. We've had a horror run with injuries, made some poor selection decisions but given game time to so many youngsters it's not funny.

I'm not buying the poor selection decisions stuff. I'm not suggesting that they get it right 100% of the time (with hindsight) and I'm not privy to the selection committee meeting, but I think they'd be well aware of the potential ramifications of their decisions.

The White decision for instance. Yes, it was the wrong decision in terms of senior team outcomes in that game but it was (apparently) done to send a message to White about his performances. Short term pain, long term gain and much better to do it this season than next given where we're at.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:04 am

jackcass wrote:
I'm not buying the poor selection decisions stuff.

The decision to go in against a side with noted talls in attack with just one solitary tall defender - leaving the not-half-bad tall Keefe out and not replacing him in the selected team - wasn't a "poor selection decision", it was rank stupidity. This is not hindsight. Many posters said so before the game (I was one of them).

Still, that was just one single shockingly bad decision at the selection table. I don't think there have been any others to stand alongside that one, though of course there have been plenty of controversial and questionable ones.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:14 am

Tannin wrote:
jackcass wrote:
I'm not buying the poor selection decisions stuff.

The decision to go in against a side with noted talls in attack with just one solitary tall defender - leaving the not-half-bad tall Keefe out and not replacing him in the selected team - wasn't a "poor selection decision", it was rank stupidity. This is not hindsight. Many posters said so before the game (I was one of them).

Still, that was just one single shockingly bad decision at the selection table. I don't think there have been any others to stand alongside that one, though of course there have been plenty of controversial and questionable ones.

As did I, Maxwell's 1x1 capacity has never been his strong suit but you can make a case for that selection. Maxwell doing his ankle amplified the issue but essentially Daniher had little impact and was covered. They only had 1 tall forward who got off the leash so 1 tall defender (Frost) should have covered that. The problem with the Essendon game wasn't the defense, it was a lack of forward and midfield impact.
Beast 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:55 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Been the case for the last two seasons.
And while the lift in intensity was quite obvious we did play shocking Footy for most of the game and were blessed Port were just more putrid.
But funnily enough Bucks is satisfied with that performance, just like he is with our season to date and thinks we're making our move :\
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Beast wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Been the case for the last two seasons.
And while the lift in intensity was quite obvious we did play shocking Footy for most of the game and were blessed Port were just more putrid.
But funnily enough Bucks is satisfied with that performance, just like he is with our season to date and thinks we're making our move :\

It's always a bad sign to me when coaches talk up effort rather than skills. Fair dinkum at this level effort should be a given. But one thing you can't hide is the gross lack of skills we display week after week. It's about time the coaches stopped coaching like it's a Little League side and start getting our basic skills right.

I am happy to grab the four points as the players gutsed it out. But the truth is that Port were just more putrid - as you have said. Anyone who thinks we are going anywhere in the finals is just in denial.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:11 am

swoop42 wrote:

I agree with your sister. Port was even more out of form and confidence than Collingwood. If they'd had more courage to just run and kick forward, our backs would have been caught out one on one. The good teams have done it to us all year; hell, even the crap teams have done it to us. But Port couldn't and they really played into our hands. Still, I hope your sister agrees that the future is looking pretty good Swoop.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:11 am

Double.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am

Port were coming off the bye; they were crap. We were slightly less crap. We just have to hope that we can step up v the Woggles. With our clearance dynamo out - yes, Adams was the spark that ignited our midfield - that's going to be hard. Have to hope that Ball can pick up wher Adams left off.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Tannin wrote:
Port were coming off the bye; they were crap. We were slightly less crap. We just have to hope that we can step up v the Woggles. With our clearance dynamo out - yes, Adams was the spark that ignited our midfield - that's going to be hard. Have to hope that Ball can pick up wher Adams left off.

Very True, Adams was good against the crows as well. Hopefully Bally can smash em.

www.facebook/the hybernators
shwany 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:30 pm

WC v Coll; Cox, Smith, Carter into 25. Ball, Toovey, Young, Thomas, Kennedy in for Martin, Adams.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:31 pm

West Coast v Collingwood
Sunday 10 August
Patersons Stadium, 2.40pm (WST)

Collingwood
B: Marley Williams, Jack Frost, Tyson Goldsack
HB: Alan Toovey, Lachlan Keeffe, Heritier Lumumba
C: Steele Sidebottom, Brent Macaffer, Alex Fasolo
HF: Jarryd Blair, Jesse White, Tim Broomhead
F: Jamie Elliott, Travis Cloke, Ben Reid
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Dayne Beams, Scott Pendlebury
Int (from): Sam Dwyer, Ben Kennedy, Luke Ball, Tony Armstrong, Clinton Young, Josh Thomas, Tom Langdon

IN: Luke Ball, Ben Kennedy, Josh Thomas, Alan Toovey, Clinton Young
OUT: Taylor Adams (finger), Kyle Martin (omitted)

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
shwany 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Could argue it's probably our best side of the year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: