Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

In defence of OUR coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez07 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what Judd said is Hine & Buckley (he didn't mention them) have built teams that have winning the contested ball as their brand. The new style of play is seeing team's thrive and set up on transition from D50 and are less concerned with winning the contested ball.

Buckley failed to get the memo.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:32 pm

John Wren wrote:
sadly, threads like these are like blood for the sharks that want to feast on the carcass of a sacked coach. i love how some of our so-called supporters are so prepared to sink the boots in and kick the club when it's down. no one has to like what is happening and no one is blind to what is going on but laying the boots in says a lot about people's characters. i hope these same people lau the boots into other people that let them down in other aspects of their lives or are happy to cop a kicking if they ever fail anyone.

Well When you Work for the Club you see more then the Usual Punter Rolling Eyes

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Jez07 wrote:
Basically what Judd said is Hine & Buckley (he didn't mention them) have built teams that have winning the contested ball as their brand. The new style of play is seeing team's thrive and set up on transition from D50 and are less concerned with winning the contested ball.

Buckley failed to get the memo.

Actually, Bucks categorically stated at the 2014 end of season members' forum that the "Adam Goodes" Sydney game, plus the shock loss to Port in the 2014 elimination final, triggered the coaching staff's direction to adopt 'sling shot' footy (having been destroyed by the fast break in both encounters). They knew this was the way of the future, which makes it even more mind boggling that they have drafted the likes of Greenwood, Crisp, Sier, etc., all at once, slower in and under types. Maybe they thought Pendles and Steele were the outside polish to complement this (forgetting that speed is required too). Treloar fits the mould, but appears to be just one in a long line of one-paced 'goers'.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Actually, Bucks categorically stated at the 2014 end of season members' forum that the "Adam Goodes" Sydney game, plus the shock loss to Port in the 2014 elimination final, triggered the coaching staff's direction to adopt 'sling shot' footy (having been destroyed by the fast break in both encounters). They knew this was the way of the future, which makes it even more mind boggling that they have drafted the likes of Greenwood, Crisp, Sier, etc., all at once, slower in and under types. Maybe they thought Pendles and Steele were the outside polish to complement this (forgetting that speed is required too). Treloar fits the mould, but appears to be just one in a long line of one-paced 'goers'.

I think you're a little off the mark. As you've identified we've recruited Treloar but we've also added Varcoe. Sier is apparently quick, as is Goodyear. I also think Crisp is quick and well suited to the emerging game style. Yes we've added Greenwood and Wills who are 1 paced but you still need these types. Bont isn't quick but I can't imagine any Collingwood supporter who wouldn't want him. Ditto Mitchell. Ditto Priddis. Ditto Armitage. Ditto Kennedy. Every team has them and some are considered among the elite. They didn't start that way though. Pridas, Mitchell and Barlow were all overlooked through drafts. Kennedy wasn't good enough for the Hawks to keep.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 am

Varcoe and Sier (and Goodyear)? That's the world beating trio to complement Treloar?

I agree re: Barlow (in the past, but now struggling), and the others ... but you can't have an entire engine of them anymore. Hawks are struggling in the midfield this season outside of Mitchell (Lewis is having a shocker), Freo are 0-7 with their one-paced midfield (they have Bennell to look forward to though, but Hill is more a winger). Face it, our team is slow as f***.

Jez07 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:09 am

Sier is apparently quick? Do you even attend VFL games?

Sier is an inside player. That is his trade.

Someone like Clinton Young was an outside player. Not advocating his retaining but the reason why the list is stuffed is we have few outside players who are 80 metre players.

They have the ability to cover ground and break zones with their driving kicks.

Buckley has pulled the wrong reign.

The Crows are doing well because they have the likes of Brodie Smith and Seedsman who carry the ball and are long kicks who kick over zones.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 am

Great OP Rudeboy, hit the nail on the head with that one.

Something I don't get is how the trolls are attacking Bucks for his win/loss ratio when it's pretty similar to both our previous Premiership coaches first 100 games. I can also say that I'm glad that we don't have an added 2 GF losses in there like 02/03 for MM.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 am

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
sadly, threads like these are like blood for the sharks that want to feast on the carcass of a sacked coach. i love how some of our so-called supporters are so prepared to sink the boots in and kick the club when it's down. no one has to like what is happening and no one is blind to what is going on but laying the boots in says a lot about people's characters. i hope these same people lau the boots into other people that let them down in other aspects of their lives or are happy to cop a kicking if they ever fail anyone.

Well When you Work for the Club you see more then the Usual Punter Rolling Eyes

dave, this is about supporting your club. why do you need to stick the boots in the moment something goes wrong? you have been doing it for years. once upon a time every second post you wrote was about sacking malthouse. the others were about how crap everyone was. you are continually negative towards the coach and players. that's hardly supporting the club. perhaps, like others you enjoy perpetual misery.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:11 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Stevo75 wrote:
Can't believe I just wasted my smoko reading such rubbish!
Why people can't see that we are struggling due to lack of personnel is mind blowing. The lack of cohesion in our team is so obvious. Three blokes going up together and the ground ball being swept away unchallenged. Two blokes running at the man and an easy over the top and they're away. I could keep going. This is due to the players not playing together enough. Not knowing their team mates voices. Not instinctively knowing where their team mate is going to run. Have any of you haters ever even played the game before? Do you even know what a football looks like up close?
As for Nathan Buckley. He is no fool that is obvious. At least give the man a chance to have a sustained run at this with a healthy list to choose from and then judge him. Make no mistake we are on the right track, we just need some continuity and a little bit of luck and it's going to turn around real quick.
Finally, thank goodness the board and everyone else that matters doesn't listen to some of you lot. If they did, Malthouse would have been sacked in early 2009 and we'd still be romancing about 1990.

Thanks for another sane comment Stevo.

I watched all possible footy shows last night to see if the "experts" were able to come up with logical solutions to Collingwood's lack of wins at the moment. Nup, nothing that leapt out at me as being viable at this exact point in time. None of these experts suggested any improvements in "game plan" and "structure" that could turn things immediately.

About the most sensible notion that received air play IMHO was strangely enough from Carro, who talked about the Richmond approach - a full review of the WHOLE football department at the end of the season. The same approach that was conducted in Mark Thompson's tenure at Geelong that ultimately resulted in premierships.

judd commented on the rule changes affecting collingwood, freo and richmond the most given their lack of foot skills and different styles of play. while i agree with this i also have said i thought we had recruited to cater for a more free flowing game but may have been caught on the hop on how quickly the game changed. i still don't think the pace will be maintained.

Yeah, that was one of the more interesting things Judd had to say! Wink Fewer boundary throw-ins means less opportunity to win the ball out of the packs, which we were generally good at last season.

I was waiting for someone to say something definitive - "this is what they need to at the Pies to turn their form around", but nothing came forth. So it seems that no-one knows! Crying or Very sad It's got to be the biggest challenge that Bucks has ever faced in footy and would be no different were anyone else put in his place instead.

getting your hands on the ball has to be a start. in the patches we have been able to string together some good footy the style of play has looked exciting. outside of the sydney game which was an abject disaster i never felt we were ever totally out of the games and had our opportunities to take the ascendancy. sure we ultimately crashed and burned but there is a glimmer of hope even allowing for the weekly regression in top line personnel being available.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 am

According to the stats he's not as bad as 'fans' make out.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-how-does-nathan-buckleys-coaching-record-compare-with-the-greats-20160510-goqnzk.html

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 am

We boast (on paper) one of the best midfields in the comp, yet we're ranked 15th for clearances, maybe our rucks are partly to blame? Well, we are ranked last for hitouts, can someone please explain to me how our injuries justify those stats? And who decided to go into 2016 with 2 young inexperienced rucks? How do you defend that?

Who decided to spend 2 first rounders and a second rounder on midfielders during last years trade period knowing our KF stocks were bare? Clokes form was horrid last year yet he goes into 2016 with him and Moore as our only 2 options, now we have an American who's played the game for 5 minutes as our KF, injuries are not to blame here either, who spends another second rounder on yet another $£$%^%%$ mid, a project kid at that.

Coaches live and die by their decisions....

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Beast 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Negative opinion???

It might have been an opinion a couple of years ago now it's a bloody reality .

Just wanted to see if the likes of you still had their heads stuck up the same spot and yes, it's business as usiual
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Beast wrote:
Negative opinion???

Just wanted to see if the likes of you still had their heads stuck up the same spot and yes, it's business as usiual

My opinion:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

You have the right to totally and utterly disagree with my opinion but that does NOT make it a bloody fact..... Evil or Very Mad Mad

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Lazza wrote:
Beast wrote:
Negative opinion???

My opinion:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

You have the right to totally and utterly disagree with my opinion but that does NOT make it a bloody fact..... Evil or Very Mad Mad

Fact is we've won 4 of our last 18 games, do you like apples?

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Pretty sure you were saying that he had the worst coaching record in Collingwood history before, weren't you Bob?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11   

Jump to: