Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Port. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Would be insanity not to, but nothing surprises me.

and That would say Cloke has had his Cards Marked

Long bow Dave. Just means the selectors don't think he's done enough yet to earn his promotion.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:30 am

Does Cloke want to be brought back in in the current circumstances?

A week ago he made a pitch on radio saying that he was sick of playing in the VFL and was ready to return to the seniors. But that was when Collingwood was on a roll coming off two emphatic wins. After the loss to the Bulldogs on Sunday things have dramatically changed and the team has been hit hard by injuries to key players.

Does Cloke want to dive back in now as the 'saviour'? Does he want the footy world's attention focussed on him in these circumstances? I shouldn't think so. Because if he fails to deliver he will be in a worse situation than he is now.

He's a confidence player a needs to gain confidence from his return, not become a bigger head mess than he is at the moment.

Consider too that he's asked for contract renewal negotiations to begin this year. If he comes back in now (after calling for it) and f@cks it up his market value is going to crash big time.

Buckley and Pendlebury have both said that he needs to build up a body of work in the VFL before he comes back in. And right now I think Cloke is happy to agree with them.

He won't be popping up on radio calling for his reinstatement this week.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:48 am

Smith, Frost, Maynard
Howe Reid Oxley

Varcoe, Greenwood, Sidey
Grundy Pendles Treloar

De Goey, Cloke Crocker
White Cox Blair

Crisp, Williams, Goldsack, Sinkers

Others: Aish, Macaffer, Witts, Marsh

Inj: Faz, Moore, Adams, Toovs, Brown, Williams, Langdon, Broomhead
LTI: Ramsey, Swan, Scharenberg, Elliot

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 am

Mugwump wrote:
RICHO1991 wrote:
In: Cloke, Brown, Sinclair, Williams, Aish
Out: Cox, Moore, Toovey, Fasolo, Adams

Brown to play down back.. Swing Reid forward with Cloke and play Sinclair in Fasolo's role.. Williams to replace Toovey across half back and Aish for Adams

Goldsack could also fill a spot down back or upforward! Not all doom and gloom folks! We do have some options

I was thinking the same thing though Reid seems to be less injury prone this year and I wonder if it is to do with the more straight-ahead nature of defensive work. He also seems to organise the defence.

The last thing we need is Reid going down with injury now. So I'd go with Cloke and Cox at CHF/FF, leave Reid as the backline general, and let Browny work his way back in. I'd not let Cox go out yet - his game v the Dogs was a disappointment, but we need to keep investing in his project.

Reid is under strict instructions to avoid being at full speed. have you seen how Reid doesn't chase anymore. Its not worth it just to save a goal if you guaranty an injury. Its the same reason sinkers isn't allowed to take 2 bounces.

RICHO1991 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 am

E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
RICHO1991 wrote:
In: Cloke, Brown, Sinclair, Williams, Aish
Out: Cox, Moore, Toovey, Fasolo, Adams

Brown to play down back.. Swing Reid forward with Cloke and play Sinclair in Fasolo's role.. Williams to replace Toovey across half back and Aish for Adams

Goldsack could also fill a spot down back or upforward! Not all doom and gloom folks! We do have some options

I was thinking the same thing though Reid seems to be less injury prone this year and I wonder if it is to do with the more straight-ahead nature of defensive work. He also seems to organise the defence.

The last thing we need is Reid going down with injury now. So I'd go with Cloke and Cox at CHF/FF, leave Reid as the backline general, and let Browny work his way back in. I'd not let Cox go out yet - his game v the Dogs was a disappointment, but we need to keep investing in his project.

Reid is under strict instructions to avoid being at full speed. have you seen how Reid doesn't chase anymore. Its not worth it just to save a goal if you guaranty an injury. Its the same reason sinkers isn't allowed to take 2 bounces.

Reid did run down Stanley the other day against Geelong and a fair pace

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:48 am

Yep, Cloke's certainly not banging the drum for reinstatement like last week.

Travis Cloke no certainty to start for Collingwood

Posted about 2 hours ago

Travis Cloke is unsure whether he will be recalled to play for Collingwood in the AFL this weekend, despite the club's injury crisis.

The 237-game veteran trained with the Magpies on Tuesday, and with young forward Darcy Moore having undergone surgery on his collarbone, Cloke looms as the most likely replacement.

However the 29-year-old said he was yet to be told whether he would return for the Magpies' clash with Port Adelaide on Sunday, or remain in the VFL.

"I wouldn't really know at this stage," he told News Corp.

"They'll sit down later in the week and decide what the best decision is for the club and also for our position.

Cloke, who has not been sighted in the AFL since being dropped ahead of the Anzac Day game against Essendon, kicked four goals in his most recent outing in the VFL.

However his push to return to the top side has been hampered by the fact the Magpies' VFL side had the bye last weekend.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley told AFL360 earlier this week that Cloke was no certainty to return despite the surge in injuries.

"The reality is that is an assumption - match committee will take place on Thursday and it's folly to discuss anything before we get to that," Buckley said.

Moore was not the only Magpies player to suffer a long-term injury out of last week's loss to the Western Bulldogs, when the team was left without any fit players on the interchange bench.

Alex Fasolo has a shoulder fracture and Taylor Adams is out with a serious hamstring injury.

AAP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-01/travis-cloke-no-certainty-to-start-for-collingwood/7465626?WT.ac=statenews_vic
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:42 am

I don't think you should read anything into Cloke's comments, or the lack of them. He put up his hand publicly after the last VFL game. He wasn't picked and he hasn't played since. He'd look rather silly insisting that he wants a recall now. He's going to be damned, either way: if he gets in, people will say it's by default and if he doesn't get in, people will say that's the end of him at Collingwood. Those propositions are both so obvious that the media will almost certainly put the hypotheticals to him in advance and seek his comment on them. What self-respecting person would deliberately walk into that?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Gee I hope the club/Buckley don't take a stand for the wrong reasons here. I understand why he was dropped and the statement it made to the group. But right now we are down on troops and experience. Leaving Cox one out or going with a make shift forward line won't give the players up the ground any confidence.
I hope he is selected it puts all the pressure on him then to perform.
It's simple he can come out have a red not crack, crash some packs, lead up hard, offer the decoy as required and do or th little team oriented things and maybe kick a couple. Or he comes out and shows nothing then we know for sure he's not interested in being at the club.
Perfect chance for the club to show him some faith and for him to show the club he wants to be part of the club.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:46 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Gee I hope the club/Buckley don't take a stand for the wrong reasons here. I understand why he was dropped and the statement it made to the group. But right now we are down on troops and experience. Leaving Cox one out or going with a make shift forward line won't give the players up the ground any confidence.
I hope he is selected it puts all the pressure on him then to perform.
It's simple he can come out have a red not crack, crash some packs, lead up hard, offer the decoy as required and do or th little team oriented things and maybe kick a couple. Or he comes out and shows nothing then we know for sure he's not interested in being at the club.
Perfect chance for the club to show him some faith and for him to show the club he wants to be part of the club.

On the money we have to see what he offers this week. Buckley can say what he wants, We definitely need him our only other option is to play Reid Forward if Brown comes back in but he and Frost would be way too slow and ' CHOP' has been great down back.

www.facebook/the hybernators
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't think you should read anything into Cloke's comments, or the lack of them. He put up his hand publicly after the last VFL game. He wasn't picked and he hasn't played since. He'd look rather silly insisting that he wants a recall now. He's going to be damned, either way: if he gets in, people will say it's by default and if he doesn't get in, people will say that's the end of him at Collingwood. Those propositions are both so obvious that the media will almost certainly put the hypotheticals to him in advance and seek his comment on them. What self-respecting person would deliberately walk into that?

it is very easy to conclude that he should play and that if he doesn't "his papers have been stamped". another run in the vfl is not going to harm him. it could be perceived it will harm the afl side in the short term but his playing in the vfl is not about the short term. given the vfl has only had really played one decent game you'd want to see how cloke goes when the vfl team performs well on consecutive occasions.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:47 pm

John Wren wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

it is very easy to conclude that he should play and that if he doesn't "his papers have been stamped". another run in the vfl is not going to harm him. it could be perceived it will harm the afl side in the short term but his playing in the vfl is not about the short term. given the vfl has only had really played one decent game you'd want to see how cloke goes when the vfl team performs well on consecutive occasions.

JW fair enough but will another game or 2 in the VFL help him ? I understand he hasn't met the objectives yet but with the senior side hit so hard with injuries and us being so reliant on a inexperienced forward line wouldn't you think playing him won't hinder our chances either and may give Cloke the push to really find his best again ?
For me I think playing outweighs not playing him. I get the fact Bucks made a stand for the long term benefits of team ethos but there comes a time when for the betterment of the many the few must sacrifice something (as in bucks swallowing some pride)
All the good work of the past 3 weeks in building decent performances and confidence could be quickly unravelled
Playing Cloke doesn't guarantee us a win or him playing well but at least it gives us some experience up forward
mattys123 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:13 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

JW fair enough but will another game or 2 in the VFL help him ? I understand he hasn't met the objectives yet but with the senior side hit so hard with injuries and us being so reliant on a inexperienced forward line wouldn't you think playing him won't hinder our chances either and may give Cloke the push to really find his best again ?
For me I think playing outweighs not playing him. I get the fact Bucks made a stand for the long term benefits of team ethos but there comes a time when for the betterment of the many the few must sacrifice something (as in bucks swallowing some pride)
All the good work of the past 3 weeks in building decent performances and confidence could be quickly unravelled
Playing Cloke doesn't guarantee us a win or him playing well but at least it gives us some experience up forward

The "objectives" for Cloke at VFL level seem unfair to me.

If Corey Gault, Darrean Wyatt or Jarrod Witts had a 13 possession, 5 mark, 4 goal game in the VFL they'd immediately come into the selection frame for AFL selection.

Yet Cloke does that (last VFL game vs Williamstown) yet apparently it's not good enough. Apparently he, unlike others, has to repeatedly do it to get a senior recall.

Isn't that unfair?

Any other player only has to play one very good VFL game to get a chance at senior selection but because he's Travis Cloke, and because his name was called out in a leading teams meeting, he has to do more than any other player to get a game.

Sorry that's wrong. Every selection should be based on recent performances compared to others. And what the team needs.

This week, we need forwards. We've lost our 2 highest goal scorers (Fas and Darcy) and we need to replace both of them.

Goldsack coming in may replace Fasolo but who replaces Darcy?

Witts, Wyatt? Hell no, there's only one player who has the ability, and the form to replace Moore.

That's Travis Cloke.

It's a mistake if he doesn't play, simple.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Cloke still takes the best Port defender, if not two of em, he must play, to replace Moore, its a no brainer, he HAS too play.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Cloke still takes the best Port defender, if not two of em, he must play, to replace Moore, its a no brainer, he HAS too play.

CORRECT!
Even if he gets no kicks he still takes the best defender and others who have to move over to give a chop out.
It is s no brainer.
So we will see how stubborn Bux is.
Years ago an expert footy scribe said that if Carmen had played the GF in 1977 and got no kicks we still would have won because Norf would have had to play 2 of their best defenders against him.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:09 pm

mattys123 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

The "objectives" for Cloke at VFL level seem unfair to me.

If Corey Gault, Darrean Wyatt or Jarrod Witts had a 13 possession, 5 mark, 4 goal game in the VFL they'd immediately come into the selection frame for AFL selection.

Yet Cloke does that (last VFL game vs Williamstown) yet apparently it's not good enough. Apparently he, unlike others, has to repeatedly do it to get a senior recall.

Isn't that unfair?

Any other player only has to play one very good VFL game to get a chance at senior selection but because he's Travis Cloke, and because his name was called out in a leading teams meeting, he has to do more than any other player to get a game.

Sorry that's wrong. Every selection should be based on recent performances compared to others. And what the team needs.

This week, we need forwards. We've lost our 2 highest goal scorers (Fas and Darcy) and we need to replace both of them.

Goldsack coming in may replace Fasolo but who replaces Darcy?

Witts, Wyatt? Hell no, there's only one player who has the ability, and the form to replace Moore.

That's Travis Cloke.

It's a mistake if he doesn't play, simple.

I'm not sure what you're on about. No player ever gets promoted to the seniors on the back of just one good VFL game. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17   

Jump to: