Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
FWIW, totally agree. I work in an industry that has had change purely for the sake of change (usually for political reasons) over the past 30 years and achieved bugger all in the process. And done FAR more damage to staff while doing it.

Also, I think you mean Mick Erwin.

Fixed, just going off memory and thought he and Cahill were the only 2 coaches between Hafey and Matthews.

Bob Rose coached Collingwood just before Matthews took over the reigns Daz.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:19 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Medders85 wrote:
Interesting! Just read an article from Mick Mcguane saying Taylor Adams should replace Pendlebury as captain. He basically says that Pendlebury doesn't have the full backing of the playing group, and also That Pendlebury talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. He goes onto say that Taylor Adams stands for aggression, unity and stands for not suffering fools and is in the mould of Tony Shaw. He then said that when Taylor says something he will go and do it himself and others will follow. Very interesting indeed.

Imagine Pendlebury wouldn't be all too pleased to get demoted but ah well whatever is better for the side..... I'd prefer Mcguane to be coach over Buckley..... from memory these two used to clash!

Pendles is our best player, but Adams would be a much better captain. You need someone with a bit of mongrel, someone who is a genuine warrior, as leader. After our poor performances these past few years, it would be a sign of a new harder, tougher approach if Adams was promoted to captain at season's end. I would love McGuane to have a role as an assistant, or opposition analyst at our club, as no-one ever had a better football brain than McGuane. However, his love of the punt was always problematic and probably cost him a coaching career. FWIW, I still reckon we'll do well with Bucks next year - though I'm pretty sure I said that last year. Confused

Agree on McGuane, very astute thinker on all things footy.

The specualtion is that Mickey Mc and Bucks don't get along but the fact is that I don't know for sure.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:31 pm

jackcass wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Juggernaught wrote:
I'd like the club to add another year or two to his contract , lock him in i say.
Stay the course , Bucks leading an injury free list we will be serious contenders.

I agree. We have the right coach, just not getting the right results yet but we will.

I don't know how often I've said this, but AFL is a results based industry and if after an agreed finite period between the coach and the club, the team is not performing, then the club usually terminates his contract.
The right coach is the one who gets the team performing, not the one who is a wonderful bloke and a champion player who loves the club. Buckley is all of those things, but after five years, you need to question whether Buckley is the right person to coach the club.
I'm not saying Buckley's contract should be cancelled at the end of the season if we don't improve our ladder position, but it's right that the club should review all football positions at the end of the season.
If the club decides to terminate Buckley's contract at the time of review, then I support their decision for the simple reason that I support the club over the individual any day of the week. That's what I believe is club loyalty, not sticking with the individual over the interests of the club.
I learned a valuable lesson in the eighties when Hafey was sacked. I was so livid I didn't attend a Collingwood game for two years. That didn't achieve anything for me and after time, I came to realise that the club did the right thing in sacking Hafey. The club doesn't always do the right thing as when they almost went broke (nothing since comes even close to that). But most of the time, the club gets it right, so I'll just keep supporting whatever decisions the club make, until such time I stop following Collingwood.
My own feeling is that if we don't get to about 8-10 wins by the end of the season, Buckley's career as coach will hang in the balance (despite his contract for next year). Whatever the club decides to do, I will always love Buckley as a champion player and a champion bloke.

Agree, no one person at the club is sacrosanct. One of the first questions though should be "would a different coach have been able to achieve anything better during the period given the same circumstances?". If it's not an overwhelming or even a marginal "yes" then you are just implementing change for change sake.

If there is a better coach out there then I'm all for the club pursuing that individual. Based purely on records there are some fine candidates. Sadly they appear to be locked into contracts at other clubs so that leaves the plethora of untried candidates. What gives any confidence that they are better than Bucks?

In respect of Hafey, he'd actually lost the players. I'm not sure Bucks is in the same place. I'm also not sure Erwin and Cahill were that much of an improvement.

This is some very logical points made by all the above posters.
I don't know if bucks can coach or not because I still yet to see our best 22 on the ground for a 4-6 week stretch to see if the plan he has in place is right. I know right now I get cranky watching games because our best looks very competitive and our worse like last weekend looks so deplorable.
If bucks goes at seasons end then so be it if not then I'll support him in 2017. I would love him to have a experieced head like a Thompson or Williams beside him offering advice but alas we have a completely inexperienced assistant set
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:09 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Juggernaught wrote:
I'd like the club to add another year or two to his contract , lock him in i say.
Stay the course , Bucks leading an injury free list we will be serious contenders.

I agree. We have the right coach, just not getting the right results yet but we will.

I don't know how often I've said this, but AFL is a results based industry and if after an agreed finite period between the coach and the club, the team is not performing, then the club usually terminates his contract.
The right coach is the one who gets the team performing, not the one who is a wonderful bloke and a champion player who loves the club. Buckley is all of those things, but after five years, you need to question whether Buckley is the right person to coach the club.
I'm not saying Buckley's contract should be cancelled at the end of the season if we don't improve our ladder position, but it's right that the club should review all football positions at the end of the season.
If the club decides to terminate Buckley's contract at the time of review, then I support their decision for the simple reason that I support the club over the individual any day of the week. That's what I believe is club loyalty, not sticking with the individual over the interests of the club.
I learned a valuable lesson in the eighties when Hafey was sacked. I was so livid I didn't attend a Collingwood game for two years. That didn't achieve anything for me and after time, I came to realise that the club did the right thing in sacking Hafey. The club doesn't always do the right thing as when they almost went broke (nothing since comes even close to that). But most of the time, the club gets it right, so I'll just keep supporting whatever decisions the club make, until such time I stop following Collingwood.
My own feeling is that if we don't get to about 8-10 wins by the end of the season, Buckley's career as coach will hang in the balance (despite his contract for next year). Whatever the club decides to do, I will always love Buckley as a champion player and a champion bloke.

Agree, no one person at the club is sacrosanct. One of the first questions though should be "would a different coach have been able to achieve anything better during the period given the same circumstances?". If it's not an overwhelming or even a marginal "yes" then you are just implementing change for change sake.

If there is a better coach out there then I'm all for the club pursuing that individual. Based purely on records there are some fine candidates. Sadly they appear to be locked into contracts at other clubs so that leaves the plethora of untried candidates. What gives any confidence that they are better than Bucks?

In respect of Hafey, he'd actually lost the players. I'm not sure Bucks is in the same place. I'm also not sure Erwin and Cahill were that much of an improvement.

This is some very logical points made by all the above posters.
I don't know if bucks can coach or not because I still yet to see our best 22 on the ground for a 4-6 week stretch to see if the plan he has in place is right. I know right now I get cranky watching games because our best looks very competitive and our worse like last weekend looks so deplorable.
If bucks goes at seasons end then so be it if not then I'll support him in 2017. I would love him to have a experieced head like a Thompson or Williams beside him offering advice but alas we have a completely inexperienced assistant set

Here a new one! I reckon this might enlighten a few of the negative tulips. Cool

I reckon this season is like a race car driver driving in a racing series with some major parts of the car not working, and wondering why you are being overtaken and beaten by others early season. Twisted Evil Razz

So do you ditch yourself as the driver under these circumstances for the entire race series or do you patiently fix the car's faults as much as possible between races? Would another driver do any better with the same car in the series with the same faults? Rolling Eyes

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Would love to see Bux turn it all around and prove to the world he can coach, but for the sake of argument and due to being still angry about last week (yes, I can sway in the breeze from week to week) I say let's sack him and I will give you a replacement as well.

Since we at Collingwood pride ourselves on embracing new technologies, at being the first club to bring in new ideas, to stand alone at the forefront of innovation. I propose that we be the first AFL club to do away with all coaches, get rid of all the mixed messages, all the emotional sprays and pep talks and employ the Tianhe-2, the supercomputer of the Chinese Government. This thing can sit on the sidelines during training and drive perfect practice and then take reign in the coaches box on match day, pumping out complex game plan algorithms that can predict future moves of the opposition and prevent them. Like for example, when the opposition kicks a few goals from the goal square unopposed the supercomputer will calculate that we need to send a few players back there to prevent such goal scoring mechanisms from repeating itself.

This is the future of AFL coaching, let's embrace it.

Go Pies!

MONCO: Your life.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Would love to see Bux turn it all around and prove to the world he can coach, but for the sake of argument and due to being still angry about last week (yes, I can sway in the breeze from week to week) I say let's sack him and I will give you a replacement as well.

Since we at Collingwood pride ourselves on embracing new technologies, at being the first club to bring in new ideas, to stand alone at the forefront of innovation. I propose that we be the first AFL club to do away with all coaches, get rid of all the mixed messages, all the emotional sprays and pep talks and employ the Tianhe-2, the supercomputer of the Chinese Government. This thing can sit on the sidelines during training and drive perfect practice and then take reign in the coaches box on match day, pumping out complex game plan algorithms that can predict future moves of the opposition and prevent them. Like for example, when the opposition kicks a few goals from the goal square unopposed the supercomputer will calculate that we need to send a few players back there to prevent such goal scoring mechanisms from repeating itself.

This is the future of AFL coaching, let's embrace it.

Go Pies!

Yes, worthy of definite consideration, and I can give further evidence of a supercomputers huge massive logic, strategy and tactics. In the world of chess, a few years ago, world champion Kasparov, lost to a Chinese Supercomputer, I think it was Deep Blue Mk 4, in only nineteen moves, a very short game, he was thrashed. He was so upset, he smashed the pieces off the board, stormed out of the building, and took hours to recover from his defeat at the hands of a machine, which beat him again too, just too rub salt in. Now, put this baby up in the coaches box, operated by a team of chinese geeks, printing out myriad gameplans, and we are home and hosed, simple, coaching problem solved. Razz Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Resign please, you can't coach.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:20 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:

SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:

Yes he can. The players he's got can't play well enough for long enough.

Ioannina 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:31 pm

let buckley work another 20 years to create a premiership team...gggggoooooooooo buckssssssss
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:35 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:

Yes he can. The players he's got can't play well enough for long enough.

Well, they're the squad of ball slaughtering unfit muppets he and the other genius Hine hand picked at the draft, or traded for...

Seth 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:40 pm

If he had any pride in himself he would resign knowing he has taken this club as far backwards as he can.

www.facebook.com/groups/knightsofabbotsford

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Seth wrote:
If he had any pride in himself he would resign knowing he has taken this club as far backwards as he can.

I'd say he has barely gotten started. It's going to get much, much worse!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:51 pm

What happened to it?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Is he gone yet
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 8 of 110   

Jump to: